Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my Motobatt battery when it died after only 22 months of use. In all fairness, I probably helped kill it by letting it set to long between starts last winter. After it left me unable to start the bike a couple of times, I checked the forums and made sure that the charging system was working, then went battery hunting.
I found one I decided to try on Batterystuff.com. I was a little leery as I had not heard of them before, but they have a battery they call "Scorpion" that is made to their specs, is AGM, and 200 CCA,( one place it says 220CCA). I bought one via Paypal for $55 total, and it shipped free. Ordered it Sunday night and had it on Wednesday, not bad from Oregon to Michigan. So far it works great, though I did charge it for a couple of hours with the new BatteryMinder 1500 I bought. Bike starts faster than I have ever had it start.
One other thing about the site that I liked was that they had a lot of information about batteries, what causes them to fail, how they work, etc. Check them out at link below if you want. I have no connection to or vested interest in this site, merely sharing what I thought was a good deal and good info. Look through the knowledge base below. FWIW. JMHO.
Rick.

http://www.batterystuff.com/

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rick,

I had one of those batteries on my ST1300 - started going bad on a trip to bike week in Daytona after leaving from San Antonio, TX. Had to buy a new Yuasa from a Honda dealer in Daytona (at a premium price). The Scorpion was <1 yr old. Other folks on the ST1300 forum have had good luck w/ them, others have had the same outcome as I did. When I inquired about a replacement since it was still under warranty, they wanted me to jump through too many hoops to make it worth my time.
Wishing you good luck w/ the new battery.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback ucwinters, I guess time will tell the tale on whether this was a good purchase or not. Just out of curiosity, did you use any kind of battery tender/float charger on yours on a regular basis? I am going to use one going forward from now on. I really didn't like not riding for a week or so of nice weather. Thanks.
Rick.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you use any kind of battery tender/float charger on yours on a regular basis? I am going to use one going forward from now on. I really didn't like not riding for a week or so of nice weather. Thanks.
Rick.
Rick,

I was riding the m/c on a regular basis at the time to keep the battery charged. A typical day of riding the ST1300 might be 100-200 miles on a weekend and, if riding to work, about 17 miles at speed each way. The ST has been sitting idle quite a bit (but do have a ride out to Big Bend at the end of Sept) since getting the 650 Exec and have the Yuasa on a Battery Tender Jr. I've been riding the Burgman enough to keep the battery charged w/o having to use the trickle charger. Using a Battery Tender or similar device is always a good idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know I wasn't asked but, here are my 2 cents regarding batteries.
These are the batteries I ran in my Beemers back when I thought I was cool. If you can afford them, they are simply the best. http://www.odysseybattery.com/ See how they're made...
When the time comes, I will install one in the Burgman.

Ed

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
scootervibe: I used the same company/battery on my '05 400 for about 18 months before I sold it - the battery performed flawlessly. Customer service/delivery was exactly as you stated. Although I ride 6-7 days a week, I occasionally used a battery tender to 'top it off.'

I would definitely use this company again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts