Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my 2003 Burgy. I just replaced the fancy 16 gram Malossi variator weights with 21 gram weights. The first thing I noticed was that it made no difference to the engine speed; still about 4500rpm at 40 mph (actual, not indicated).
On the next test I heard the bike make a fluttering sound at about 30mph, like the belt was chirping a little.
I'm guessing that the variator is sticking a little and not opening properly. Can anyone suggest something to look for?
The air filter destroyed itself while I was working, so I'll be digging into the belt cover as soon as I get a new one, so I'll try to fix what ever's wrong then. In the meantime, I have my Piaggio.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Make sure you have the wieghts installed correctly. I noticed, when I put in my 20g sliders, that they are a pretty close fit in the movable pully slots. Did you clean out all the dust, i.e. clean the belt dust, from variator and pulley when you installed the new sliders?

On mine, I went from ~5Krpm @ 40 mph to ~4.5Krpm @ 40 mph. Not a huge difference, I notice it more in the 60+ mph range. RPMs drop about 1K from 60 mph to WOT.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned it all shiny spotless. I'll check clearances when I open it again. If one roller is at the wide end of the tolerances and the slot at the narrow end it might be sluggish there.
Thanks for the hint. I've ordered the filter so I should get a chance to go back in next week sometime.

Claude

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
While you are in there...

Give a good look around for any kind of belt contact with the transmission cover. If the belt is chirping, twould seem to me that the only sources are the belt-pulley contact area or the beltpossibly touching the case. In the former, I would look for any contamination of the pulley surfaces. In the latter I would follow thae sage advice of my Chief of the Boat back in the Navy: "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Screaming and running around is already being done by our trained experts.
In the meantime, the thought has occurred to me that additional lubrication may have been introduced while cleaning out the insides of the part. I'll use some alcohol on the pulley faces to make sure it's spotless and residue free.

Claude

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same with the 03, but the spacer that's on the 07, I'm speaking of that big spacer that goes into through the variator plates is actually larger on the side that goes in first. Well at least it is on mine. I had a squeaking I couldn't figure out, and thought it was the clutch, but I took the whole transmission apart to clean and noticed the size difference. Seems to have helped me. Or mine is just worn out~! Good luck~!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like the shaft the faces ride on. I'll have to look at that, too.
The currently useless service manual just mentions that you have to torque the nut to the designated value when assembling the engine. I haven't found any mention of whether they expect any rollers to be inside.
By the time my foam filter arrives ($20? For that thing?) you guys should have made me quite an expert.

Claude

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had the bike up and apart again. I managed to drop the rollers half way through installing the variator so I had to pull it off and open it up again.
Everything checks out, seems just fine, and sometimes I can see a slight improvement with the new rollers. Hopefully when they wear into the wear grooves in the variator I'll see more improvement, but at least I know its as good as it can be for now.
Thanks for all the help and advice.

Claude

1 - 8 of 8 Posts