Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an old m/c designer (originally manufactured MotorMate touring trailers), and am now driving a 650 Burgman. I miss a good sound system and years ago, was in the accessory design/manufacturing trade. I've got a design I'm finishing up, to house an am/fm/cd player in the area between the handlebars. I've designed a new plastic housing that will replace the existing factory piece so installation should be a 30 minute job, complete with speakers, wiring and power. Do you guys think there is enough interest here to offer this to the public? I am NOT trying to sell these here, just testing the waters to see if it justifies the molding/engineering costs.
jac

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Radio

Yup, need more info with pics. if possible.

thanks in advance

Jim

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey there Jac and welcome to the board. I'm interested but as Jim says a few pics would help. I'm having problems visualizing what you have in mind between the bars. Would it obstruct the view of the dash?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have some design pics available soon. I'm working on the prototype, with the idea on producing them. I'll post a link to some pics as soon as I get a little further down the process. Basically I know what it'll look like. Imagine a "web" (for lack of a better word) or "box" between the "V" formed by the handle bars. Within the box is the sound system. It'll be a 10 minutes operation to remove the original handlebar "casing" and replace it with a new "casing" which contains the radio combo. I'll probably be ready to show something within the next 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm interested

in your invention. I am considering mounting a cd player/radio in the trunk with a wire to headphones, but haven't had the time to tinker around yet. This weekend is a motorcycle expo that I hope to attend and see what is "out there."

Send pic's and more info soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Jacvinson! This sounds like a great idea. I like where you're trying to place the electronics. Some pics would be nice, but I think I get the idea. As the display on the Burgman dash is above the level of the handlebar plastics, it could work out well.

One idea from my fevered mind, however.... Make it a bit generic. I use a Garmin GPS Radio with headset/mic and I have an MP3 player I'd like to use too. If you use any particular amp/radio, get one that has an Auxiliary input to it. If you can do that, you can count me in on this mod!!! ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Virginia Great idea

I am supposed to get a beginning prototype withing the week. When I have any decent pictures of a "functional" housing... I'll post the url.
I'm guessing headphones, and optional input is a requirement.
Here's another idea Virginia http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?o ... &WT.mc_t=U
This "says" Ipod, but it plugs into ANY audio earphone jack and broadcasts to FM radios on 4 different (selectable) channels.
I use a Garmin I-QUE 3600 and run it through my RV soundsystem. It works great!!!
thanks
jac

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: I'm interested

Hi;
My problem with that is two fold///
1: I don't want to lose any trunk space
2: I would like not to "have to" use a wire..
I've ridden Cruisers for years and am used to just "turning on the radio". Earphone could be an option... but as quiet as the Burgman is, I don't think it's necessary to block out the outside sound. I kinda like "knowing" there's a car beside me.. <MG>
jac

in your invention. I am considering mounting a cd player/radio in the trunk with a wire to headphones, but haven't had the time to tinker around yet. This weekend is a motorcycle expo that I hope to attend and see what is "out there."

Send pic's and more info soon. Thanks.[/quote]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, Javicson....I have an iPod. ;) I've been researching the FM gizmo's lately. That Belkin looks like the best so far.

Looking forward to the pics. I'd definately be interested in this. I also like the idea of using speakers instead of in-helmet drown-out-what-i-need-to-hear kinda thing. ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IPOD vs every other system in the world

I know the FM transmitter is "marketed" to the IPOD people. Actually the little transmitter has been around a long time and IPOD is just catching on so they are marketing to that group. The fact is that any disc player, pocket radio, tape player, etc etd.. that you can plug a "regular" headset or earphones into, will work just fine. I think they're just "using the headlines" for advertising. You could just as easily use "ANY" mp3 player or signal producing electronic device to go to the radio. In my RV I have a 12" lcd tv and it "sounds okay". but when I watch a DVD, I plug in the transmitter and pipe the sound through the RVs' "big " stereo system and the whole rv sounds like a movie house... It's Great!
thank for the suggestions and support.
jac
austin tx

·
Registered
3 Posts
MP3 GREAT OPTION

I HAVE BEEN USING MY MP3 IN THE UPPER LEFT COMPARTMENT,HELD DOWN WITH A LITTLE PIECE OF VELCRO, AND MY HEADSET ARE THESE REALLY NICE KOSS THAT WRAP AROUND THE EAR, AND HAS A PIECE OF PLASTIC ATTACHED AROUND THE BACK, VERY STABLE, THE BEST THING ABOUT THEM THEY HAVE A VOLUME CONTROL ON THERE WIRES, SO I CAN VOLUMN IT DOWN TO NOTHING OR BRING IT ALL THE WAY UP, SO FAR IT IS ALL I NEED, WORKING VERY NICE, ALSO MY WIFE WANTED TO LISTEN SO OFF TO RADIO SHACK GOT 6.00 SPLITTERS HER OWN SET OF KOSSES WITH HER ON VOLUME CONTROL ALL SET COST
149.00 FOR MP3
28.00 FOR 2 SETS OF HEADSETS
6.00 FOR SPLITTERS
183.00 TOTAL

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CD/MP3/tape is an easy problem to solve, I want a "receiver".
I've found a nice Bluapunkt, removable face, cd player,wireless remote (wasn't looking for that option, this receiver just happens to come with it), that I can offer an an option for folks that are interested in the radio housing. I think I'll offer it two ways... One, an empty housing, w/speakers and you can pick your own "on sale" unit locally, and the other way is to offer it as a "plug and Play system". Realizing that folks have differnt tastes in receivers, that way it up to the buyer. It's going to be a very, very simple install. Just remove the front 1/2 of the handle bar cover,(two push out plastic rivets), and replace the cover with this unit and plug it in. I think it'll be a real enhancement. I'm got all the components so within the next few days I'll be doing the first prototype testing.
Thanks for the note though.
jac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Jac,
your idea sounds great - what consideration have you paid to
a) weatherproofing
b) theft (if it's easy to put on it's also easy to take off)

Look forward to see your pictures

Take care and ride safely

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weatherproofing was a consideration from the beginning and was/is easily solved. As for theft. true, it's easy to install and remove but it does require removing a plastic body part, which would deter most thieves and additionally, I personally, will have a removable face plate type receiver. That way, remove face plate, put in trunk or locked lower glove box, voila, not worth stealing.
thanks for the note
jac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts