Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed several times new posts being on forums and I come back to read them and they are already marked as old even though I've not even been in that forum since seeing that.
Not sure if this is a bug, a version anomaly for php or what.
Doubt anything can be done to fix it but perhaps if I read the forums differently or use some other method it may not do this?
Suggestions?
Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Not sure how you are reading them... But, I think the forum logs the time you login and logout, and then the next logon probably just shows you a list of everything new since your last logout.

A little bit frustrating, but I don't think that can be fixed.

Joe

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It even happens while I'm still logged in sometimes.
In other words, I begin reading all the new posts and end up missing new posts because they are no longer marked as new when done posting to a previous new post or reading a previous new post.
If I'm the only one this happens to I'm not overly concerned about it. I post way too much as it is. LOL

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
phpBB uses a couple of methods to mark forums read. The first is last login time. Anytime you leave the forum and then login again, all messages are marked as read. If you have the forum set to automatically log you in, close the browser, and come back to the forums, all messages are marked read.

In addition to login time, the forum uses a sessionid for security. If the IP address changes, the sessionid is no longer valid and will be considered a new logon. Therefore all messages will be marked read. If you disconnect from the internet and reconnect (giving you a new IP address) all messages are marked read. Some business networks are reported to dynamically shift your IP for security purposes or may have multiple routes that will cause the IP to shift. Sessionid also has a default timeout. If you leave the forum up in a browser for a long time without any activity, the session will time out and log you back in when you read another message marking all messages read.

In between sessions / logons, phpBB uses cookies to track which messages have been read. If cookies are disabled, the forum cannot properly track read messages between sessions.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Bill,

I understood what you wrote and it make perfect sense to me. That's really kinda scary though :lol: , but I think you did a good job of explaining it.

I thought about this for a bit this morning. I was looking at the unread messages, and opened one and read through the thread and found a link to another set of messages. When I clicked on this link, it opened a new window and showed me as logged on. I got to wondering if this had reset the last message read. But, when I returned back through the original window, everything was still there. I think. I suspect that if I had used that second window to move back to the forum top, that I might have lost those messages.

How close to right am I?

Joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
january14 said:
I suspect that if I had used that second window to move back to the forum top, that I might have lost those messages.
Joe,

Opening a new browser window by clicking a link shouldn't mark any of the messages read ... unless it's one that you haven't read yet. As far as the forum is concerned you're still logged on with the same session even if your using multiple browser windows. Only logging off, closing the browser (thereby logging off), or an IP address change should mark all messages read.

I've read up on this issue a bit since I was having problem with a dropped connection on my Cingular wireless marking all messages read. It's a real pain to look at the time / date stamps on a couple hundred messages to see if you need to read them or not. What's real fun is when it happens multiple times when trying to catch up. :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts