Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new ride and a friend of the family has a 2006 Burgman 400 type S that he is wanting to sell{well actually his wife is insisting he sell}. I currently ride a Yamaha Zuma 50cc but after 5+ years I figure it is time to move up. It isn't a done deal yet and I thought I would check out this forum to get more info before I buy.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Personally, I'd look for an 08+ model (there was a huge upgrade in 07 + a year to work out the kinks), but if the price/milage/condition is right and options are limited, go for it. With the S model, you will probably want a taller screen, but some people like it stock.

In any case, its a darn bit more/better than a Zumo 50. You can ride cross country on a 400.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. And welcome to BUSA.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I'd look for an 08+ model (there was a huge upgrade in 07 + a year to work out the kinks), but if the price/milage/condition is right and options are limited, go for it. With the S model, you will probably want a taller screen, but some people like it stock.

In any case, its a darn bit more/better than a Zumo 50. You can ride cross country on a 400.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. And welcome to BUSA.

I wasn't really looking at the Burgman at all but since my friend is selling his I put it into consideration. My uncle had a Burgman 600 for a short time and he liked it. He changes rides very often however. Last I knew he was on a V-Strom but that may have changed since I last saw him.

I would literally have to go 200+ miles to even look for a later Burgman! Unless you want a cruiser, Roswell is a very motorcycle unfriendly place. The city is just under 50K people and there are about a dozen scooters here. I have the only Yamaha Zuma 50, there is a Zuma 125, a Kymco 125{owned by a friend}, a couple of Etons and the rest are Chinese{one less since a co-worker's daughter drove it into the side of the house bending the fork tubes and frame}.

I don't know if I would use the Burgman for anything other than in-town riding. It would however be my daily ride. If i do decide to try highway then I might change the windshield.

The scoot itself is low miles and been kept in a garage since new. I looked at it yesterday and other than a couple of tiny scratches on the plastics it looks showroom fresh. It was well maintained and knowing this friend he will make me a good deal. We had to cut the discussion short because of the party that was going on{reason I was visiting}and that he mis-placed the key{or his wife hid it - she hates him riding!}.

However what do you all think is a fair price for a 2006 Burgman 400 S with low miles{don't know the exact number} and in near original condition???

·
Registered
98 Posts
There was an oil consumption issue with the pre-2007 400's. Here on the forum, members report an oil loss with long highway runs. If you regularly cherck your oil (I check my 2012 400 at least weekly) it should not be a problem.

Personally, I like the looks of the Sport Burgman with the low windshield and the naked bars.

In my area KBB lists the retail value of the 2006 as $2800. From a private party, I would be looking to pay less, but I don't know the used values in your area.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/an400s/2006-suzuki-an400s/suggestedretailvalue/

Blue book is between 1900 WS to 2800 retail. That's a reasonable range, but I've no idea of the market in your area. Sounds like there isn't one.

The 400 is a very capable scooter. 200 miles is nothin' for it. Ive regularly ridden 350 in a day. You will want to ride freeway once you've tried it and you will want a taller screen. So factor that in as a definite possibility.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
While I too would recommend an '07+, as a former owner of a bought new '05, I wouldn't describe it as having 'kinks.' Having to replace the ignition switch in 2009 was the only non-regular maintenance issue I had. If adding a few cc's of oil between oil changes is an issue, it is true that the older bikes used more oil.

The '07 improvements are notable: wheels 1 inch bigger, engine a full 400 cc, dual disk brakes up front, 5-shoe clutch, etc.

I think the sport model only happened in '06, so if you can't resist it, make sure you get a screaming deal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When you guys say - "used oil" do you mean it leaks or that it has bad blow by? I do not mind doing maintenance, I did everything on my Zuma including tire changes. Which leads me to how the Burgman does on tires.

Also I have yet to figure out all the number codes for the Burgmans. AN400 is the basic model but how does the K# after go?

KBB lists the same prices for here as what you guys quoted.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
No oil leaks. No noticeable 'burning' of oil. Wherever oil goes to in the course of normal combustion (especially at sustained high speeds). Just means you need to check the oil level and add as needed. I checked mine once a month - sometime I needed to add a bit, sometimes I didn't.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No noticeable 'burning' of oil. Wherever oil goes to in the course of normal combustion (especially at sustained high speeds).
So it is excessive blow-by. I can live with that especially since I won't be doing much if any long trips with it. It will be my daily ride and maybe once or twice a year I might venture out. I have never done any highway riding before and not 100% sure I want to.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blow-by is exhaust gas that leaks past the cylinder into the combustion chamber{usually just after ignition} but it can cause the oil on the cylinder walls to burn as it flows past the piston skirts. Because that burned oil does not go out through the exhaust it does not cause smoke. But the oil is burned just the same and thus the overall oil level goes down. Excess gases that are in the crankcase are vented through the PCV{positive crankcase valve} and fed into the intake to be burned efficiently. This indicates that the rings are not fully up to the task or that they wear too easily. Since I have read that this engine tends to last for many miles I figure it is the former. I would think that synthetic oil would lessen this problem if not eliminate it - assuming I am correct in what is causing it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Boy, are YOU ever in for a surprise! ;)
Yup, I LOVE mine on the freeway! It just better than just about any other bike in terms of overall ridability. 650 is better on freeway, but a little heavy in traffic. You'll learn to love it should you be so inclined to venture out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I, too moved from a 50 cc to a Burg 400. I had thought of going to a 150 or 250, but all my motorcycling friends said that I'd outgrow them too quickly. The 400 is nice for me right now and I can't imagine wanting to go to a 650.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I actually was looking at a 125-250cc but since this one became available I am considering it. At first I was thinking it is too big, both in displacement and in size but I am warming up to the idea. I am trying to arrange a time with the owner to do a test ride but he is very busy right now. Luckily he said he was in no hurry to sell and that I would get first crack at it, so it won't get sold before I get a chance.

I just checked with my insurance company to see what it would cost. If I keep my 50cc scoot it will only cost me an extra $60 a year to add the Burgamn with full coverage. If I sell the 50cc the price for the Burgman will be almost the same as I am paying now for the 50cc{actually be about $3 more a year}.

One thing that does have me rethinking this is that so many people say you can't ride a Burgman with your feet flat on the deck, that you have to put them forward. If this is so then it won't work for me! First off I have tried the feet forward position on a cruiser test ride and my friend's 125 scoot and I feel very uncomfortable and out of control with my legs that way. Second, my mending left leg{I broke it badly 2 years ago and have plates and screws in there} starts hurting having it in that position for any length of time.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I see you're from Roswell, NM. I think the "people" you're talking to probably know more about intergalactic travel and anal probes than Burgmans. I don't think there is another bike that can rival the Burgman in the variability of riding positions one can assume - feet forward, feet tucked, missionar. . . sorry, feet flat. Get yourself to a dealer and sit on one. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see you're from Roswell, NM. I think the "people" you're talking to probably know more about intergalactic travel and anal probes than Burgmans. I don't think there is another bike that can rival the Burgman in the variability of riding positions one can assume - feet forward, feet tucked, missionar. . . sorry, feet flat. Get yourself to a dealer and sit on one. ;)
It is some people on this forum! In another thread I asked for advice on how to raise the seat so it would be more comfortable to ride with my feet straight down and several all but attacked me and told me it wasn't possible to ride that way, that feet forward is the only way.

I am going to buy a used one from a friend and I have sat on it already and can put my feet down straight but it would be more comfortable if the seat were an inch or two higher. I hope to test ride it soon and that will give me a better idea.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Wait a minute. You already sat on one, and KNOW you can put your feet straight down? What are we talking about then?? (Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?)

"Not possible" is not the modus operandi of this forum. If someone has a challenge, there are dozens of fellow members jumping in to solve the problem. I'd really like to see the threads you're referring to.

My 5'0" wife/passenger likes to look over my helmet when we travel. In spite of my buying her an Airhawk cushion, she still wanted to be another inch taller. I went to a local auto/moto upholsterer, he added about 1.5 inches of foam to the passenger position. Voila - she's 1 inch higher.

Come on - the Roswell/space alien allusion was at least a little funny. No?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait a minute. You already sat on one, and KNOW you can put your feet straight down? What are we talking about then?? (Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?)

"Not possible" is not the modus operandi of this forum. If someone has a challenge, there are dozens of fellow members jumping in to solve the problem. I'd really like to see the threads you're referring to.

Come on - the Roswell/space alien allusion was at least a little funny. No?
I have sat on it but not ridden it. I can put my feet flat on the deck but my knees are higher than I would like. I am 5'10".

Here is the thread - http://burgmanusa.com/forums/17-aftermarket-accessories/79969-raised-seat-pad-raise-seat.html
It isn't everyone, most gave me some excellent suggestions on ways to raise my butt to be more comfortable. I might have made it sound worse than it really is but two posters act like I am crazy to want to have my feet down and all but say it is impossible. They also put down motorcycle journalists for some reason. I know there are always differing opnions but to get hit like this after joining this forum only a couple of days ago is discouraging. And on top of not being sure the Burgman is the right scoot for me.

I always take the UFO thing with a bit of humor, although there are some who worship it! I know I have met many of them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
OK. Practically all the suggestions were constructive. The one that wasn't was pure personal opinion, and did not suggest you couldn't ride feet down - only that your crazy if you do. In time you'll learn who's opinions to listen to (and when), and who's to take with a grain.

I'm 5'8" and am comfortable in all positions. Around town, I'm feet down - keeps me more alert. On the road, cruising - feet forward until I need to adjust for comfort. In ascending/decending twisties or other technical riding - I tuck my legs like I'm on a sports bike. I paid for the full floorboard - I use all of it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks jeffMDR! I don't like being called crazy however and I guess I took it too personal. Overall this seems like a good forum with good people.

The more I research it and think about it, the more I get excited about it. Which is a change because I was a bit bummed by my doctor not allowing me to ride a motorcycle{I was leaning towards a 250cc moto}.

Once I get used to it I might try some short trips. It is nice to have the option, there was no way I was going on the highway with a 50cc!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts