Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XM has just come out with a really small (about the size of an Ipod) satellite radio made by Delphi (Elton John is in their tv commercials). It weighs less than 8 ounces. It has a built-in antenna and comes with a re-chargable battery with at least 5 hours of power. It also records and stores programming. It comes with a car kit, ear buds, and small antenna for indoor use.
My thoughts are about using it on the Burgman. I believe it comes with a cigarette lighter type device which I assume is for re-charging and powering the unit while in a vehicle (or on a Burgman). The built-in antenna would solve a big problem of where to mount one on the bike. The problem is that dealers don't have them in-store yet but they are available on-line from XM, Delphi, Circuit City, etc. I'd like to see one and confirm that it can be powered by our batteries using the plug rather than depend on rechargable batteries. Sounds real promising for use on a bike.
Here's a link that gives a good idea of this radio.
http://shopdelphi.com/products/consumers/myfi/
Any thoughts or comments om using it on a Burgman? I already have a Sirius radio in my car and I'm hooked on satellite radio.

Don :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually the car kit does come with a magnetically mounted antenna. I was thinking the same thing for various vehicles but was disappointed that one still needed the other antennas. I also assume that when in the walk around mode, the earbuds act as an antenna. If so, the helmet (I assume that you wear one) would block reception. If you get it let me knwo as I was thinking of trying it until I read about the magnetic car antenna.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
It could also be that the roof of cars block the signal from the satellite. That was an issue with satellite phones.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use the XM Roadie 2 in the car and on the Scoot. I stick the antenna on the brake box and use ear buds. works great, and I love XM, find it to be far superior programming wise to the Sirius.

Johnny

·
Registered
80 Posts
At $350 a pop they are very expensive, for $50 more you can buy a 40G iPod.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doctor K said:
I also assume that when in the walk around mode, the earbuds act as an antenna.
After reading one of the links I found over the weekend I got the impression that the antenna was in the radio unit itself. It really wasn't that clear. That's why I'd like to see the radio and instructions before I buy one. It stated that the other antenna in the kit was for indoor use.
Don

·
Registered
355 Posts
the new $350 Delphi XM MyFi includes a built in antenna as well as the car kit. I use the $100 Delphi XM Roadie2 and am very happy with it. There is an add-on for the Roadie2 that turns it into a walkman type like the myfi. The programing is amazing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts