Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just uploaded a new set of photo of my Burgman 650 showing the finish set up for the Ram mounted GPS bracket for my Garmin 2610, photos are in the folder called My Custom Burg 650 on page 1 for ram mount and page 2 for fog light also photo showing the a set of Piaa's fog light I have installed using the exiting front side marker bracket. The parts that I used for the install from Ram http://www.ram-mount.com/ are ram231, ram 201b, ram238 and the Garmin gps holder is rap-b-138-ga9, I also have photo if anyone wants them just email me I will send them.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
The fog lights look good with the running lights. Very clean.

How difficult was it to make the directionals double as running lights? I always thought there should be running lights.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. What I did on the running light up front was get a set or rear break & park light sockets as they are the same size and change the front turn socket for these, the only problem I had was removing the two mirrors as I needed to because I could not get the new wires through without taking them off and it was a [email protected]*#H getting them off. I also put a switch on them this way I can turn them on at night only as I believe that is when more light is needed and as well on the fog light also.

·
Registered
719 Posts
burg650 said:
I have just uploaded a new set of photo of my Burgman 650 showing the finish set up for the Ram mounted GPS bracket for my Garmin 2610, photos are in the folder called My Custom Burg 650 on page 1 for ram mount
Roger,
Would you please load up a picture similar to IMG 0039-1 but without the GPS and its special holder in place.

I'm interested in seeing the arm/clamp coming through the handle bar cover.

Thank you,

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasquid I do not have a photo without the garmin holder and the cover with just the bracket coming through the top and it would be too much work right now as the bike is all put back together and would have to pull everything a part to remove the gps holder off the bracket to take that photo. I do have another one that shows a closer look at where the bracket (ball) comes through the top of the holder and will add it to my photo folder.

To all you might want to copy what I have done using the ram system this gps holder and a Garmin 2610, note (look at photo img-0024-1) that you have to attach the first bracket on the handle bar as far over to the left or you will not get the unit centered and it would be also hard to get to the switch on the garmin. I will offer my help to anyone who live in and around my area and who might want to come to my garage or if they are not too far of a ride (weather being good) to install this set up for them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
burg650 said:
I do have another one that shows a closer look at where the bracket (ball) comes through the top of the holder and will add it to my photo folder.
Roger,

Thank you for adding the new photo, that shows me enough information. I've had the RAM system on two other bikes, but the scooter not as straightforward. I stick my Garmin GPS V on the handlebar cover, just above the word "Burgman" with Velcro now. I'm still stewing on options.

How about the new Garmin Quest!? That could go practically anywhere; it's so small and light.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Russell this is the best set up for the garmin as you can see it is very neat and it looks stock, I tried a few other ways but they did not look as neat as this does and did not offer the support. As for the Quest it is a neat little unit but does not have touch screen which I believe is a great feature to have while riding and it also does not have sound and I think the screen is too small.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Roger, you might want to post a review of using the 2610 on your Burgman as well. I know of at least one person who would appreciate hearing about your experiences and thoughts!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have added one more photo to my folder showing the 4 parts I used for the installation for the garmin 2610 gps on my Burg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quest vs. 2610

Down with the Quest:

It's self-powered, light and portable, but . . .
1. No touchscreen, forcing user to clumsily navigate alphabet using directional pad.
2. Finite built-in memory with no expandability.
3. Doesn't require hard-wire because it has its own internal battery. But unless you use the cigarette lighter adapter, you don't get voice prompts. 4. Nobody has mounts yet. Not Ram. Not Touratech. Suction cup is powerful, but the Burgman screen is too curvy for it to stick.
5. The small screen can be a liability when trying to get information while cruising.

Up with the 2610:

It requires hard-wiring or cigarette lighter adapter, but it's my personal favorite:
1. Touchscreen is a breeze, makes text input a piece of cake.
2. Compact flash cards have no moving parts, perfect for motorcycles and scooters, and expandable. A 512MB card gives me most of the East Coast.
3. Larger screen is easier to read.
4. Plenty of mounts to choose from.
5. Looks like Suzuki designed it, judging from Burg650's gallery. It fits perfectly in the middle of the handlebars.
6. Audio jack provides voice prompts.

I've owned both, and I strongly prefer the 2610.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: Quest vs. 2610

joezeff said:
Down with the Quest:...Up with the 2610:...I've owned both, and I strongly prefer the 2610.
Thank you. That's a good report from someone with experience.

I was wondering if you can use the touch screen with gloves on, perhaps even winter riding gloves, or does it require contact with skin?

Also, I like to look at routes and mark waypoints on the GPS while eating in a restaurant or hanging out at a hotel. Do you miss that with the 2610 or is there a workaround?

I've seen new 2610s on Ebay for roughly the same price, after $100.00 rebate, as a Quest. Tempting, but I'll make do with my GPS V a while longer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
burg650 said:
page 2 for fog light also photo showing the a set of Piaa's fog light I have installed using the exiting front side marker bracket.

Very Nice!

What is the model number of the PIAA's?

THANKS

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Quest vs. 2610

I was wondering if you can use the touch screen with gloves on, perhaps even winter riding gloves, or does it require contact with skin?
The touchscreen works with gloves, but thick gloves wouldn't be much fun. You could tether a stylus to your handlebars though.

Also, I like to look at routes and mark waypoints on the GPS while eating in a restaurant or hanging out at a hotel. Do you miss that with the 2610 or is there a workaround?
The only workaround is to eat while sitting on your Burgman. The 2610 won't work at all unless it is plugged into a power adapter or USB port.

The reduced prices for 2610s follow Garmin's introduction of the 2650, which offers dead reckoning. As I understand it, this means that the GPS will show your present location even if the unit loses satellite reception, by adding your speed and heading to your last known coordinates. A worthwhile but expensive add-on from the 2610.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To use the dead reckoning on the 2650 the unit has to be connected to the speed sensor on the bike just as in all nav systems in cars.

·
Registered
367 Posts
burg650 said:
To use the dead reckoning on the 2650 the unit has to be connected to the speed sensor on the bike just as in all nav systems in cars.
The other thing with the dead reckoning ones is that they have to be shop installed as I understand ... yet another expense!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: External power source for 2610

joezeff said:
Touratech-USA sells a battery pack for the 2610 that would allow you to use the GPS when sitting in a restaurant or hotel.
WOW! That is a super idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's cool Joe, I have to get me one of those battery pack for my 2610. Don't know if I will ever need it or use it but too cool not to have.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Roger,
I was wondering about the pattern that the new fogs put out. Weren't they intended to be mounted horizontally? Do you find the output suitable for your needs?
Steve

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve yes they were made to be mounted horizontally and yes that would give the best output. I have not tried them out on the road at night as yet but based on the light output I have seen in my garage when I took the photos I would have to say I can not rely on them to help light my path, this model were made for more style than function. I will let you know how I find them when I get the chance to try them out at night and when I can ride with one of my Buddies and see what they think also.

My main reason for installing them was not so much for getting a brighter light up front but for the on coming traffic to see me better and of course for style, I believe the more light a bike has the better it will be seen on the road for safety. I think the stock lights especially the high beam does a very good job in giving off a bright light for the rider to see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts