Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and all,
Well I just purchased a new 04 Burgman 650 and I pick it up tomorrow. I have been a closet scooter lover for a long time and finally came out of the closet. I waited for the second year on the Burgman to purchase it.
Since I do the maintenance myself can anyone out there provide me with info on transmission oil changes and rear drive train oil changes? I think the manual that comes with the bike tells how to change the motor oil. I like to change oils right away to remove metal particals. Any idea on longevity of parts or the bike as a whole?
Any tips or suggestions are always welcome. My email address is [email protected]. Or respond to this site which may help others who have questions as well. Thanks and look forward to hearing from other informed owners. Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey dabimf from Clearwater,

(1) If your plan to do your own maintenance, recommend that you get the service manual ASAP - it should be available from your dealer for $35 to $50.

(2) The Transmission takes the same oil as the engine BUT you will have to take off a lot of Tupperware to get to the drain/overflow/fill openings. (12.2 US oz – SAE 10W-40 with API SF or SG)

(3) The drive train takes Hypoid gear oil SAI # 90 AP GL-5 (10.1 US oz.)

The recommended interval for the first service is 600 miles, I wouldn't change the fluids much before that. Our local dealer in Sarasota charged $260 for the first service which I bit the bullet and paid. I will do future routine maintenance. Angel has close to 3000 miles on her Burgy and it is well borken in and runs great. On the next oil/trany change I plan on using Shell Rotella R synthetic oil.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Replacing Final Gear Oil

Replacing the Final Gear Oil (from the Service Manual)

Replace at 600 mi. and every 7500mi or 12 mos thereafter:

- Keep the motorcycle upright with the Center Stand

- Remove the Final Gear case cover ( this is the black plastic covering the automatic transmission gears on the left/lower/rear section of the bike, it has 4 bolts I believe, that you can remove with a screwdriver )

- Place an oil pan below the Final Gear case

Once you remove the plastic covering, look towards the rear of the Final Gear case, you will see two large allen bolts, one on top of the other. The one on top is the Oil Level Plug, the one underneath is the Oil Drain plug. On my bike, these were marked with a blue markings.

- Remove the Oil Drain plug and Oil Level plug with Allen wrench let the oil drain out

- Tighten the Oil Drain plug (bottom bolt) to the specified tourque and pour fresh oil through the Oil Level hole until the oil overflows from the Oil Level hole.

- Tighten the Oil Level plug to the specified tourque (Top bolt)

- Reinstall the black plastic case cover

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tourque Settings for both Allen bolts:

33 N-m (3.3kgf-m, 24.0 lb-ft)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil viscosity and classification:

Hypoid Gear Oil SAE #90 API Grade GL-5

Necessary Amount of Final Gear Oil

Oil Change: 300ml (10.1/10.6 US/Imp oz)
Overhaul: 430ml (14.5/15.1 US/Imp oz)