Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New owner-seat latch question

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave_J 
#1 ·
I say I'm a new owner, but I haven't taken delivery yet. I am looking for a sticky or link on how to do the "Emergency Seat Latch" mod. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Been searching the forum and have found several references to it, but not a "How to."

TIA

Greg

#6 ·
Seat Release and Poor Mans Backrest.

Hi I am new to this forum, and thought I will let you take a look at my seat release.

Cost me about $2.00 and was made from the liner of a Bicycle Brake Cable and lead fish weight.

Simply but not necessary, drill a small hole in the mount for the existing latch bracket, fish the cable in and around the release pin, drill a small hole through the lead fish weight or use the type that you can slide up and down the line, just use the fish weight to pinch the cable loop together, and you are done. Took me a about 10 minutes. Works perfect.

I am also posting my $5.00 or less 650 Burgman backrest, can be made in 15 minutes if you don't want to get to fancy,could be covered later with some black fancy leather or .... I just used the mounting bracket from the original backrest, a 12" x 11 1/2" x 1/2 piece of plywood ( I use some laminate floor that I had handy?) and a few screws. I just did 1700K on the bike and its like sitting in a easy chair.

oldjack

Attachments

#8 ·
No, I did not take any tupperware off, simply hinged the seat up and worked on the latch, that said being new to this forum it looks like l might have answered this question on the wrong forum, my bike is a 2013, but my guess is that this latch and seat hardware might be the same on the previous models.

The hardest part for me was to lasso the pin, but that could just be me and my old eyes. If you go with this it will be obvious why I drilled the small hole for the cable to go through the factory mount, it did no harm. It was just to keep the cable tracking straight.

Once this is done, you just tuck the wire under the seat edge and it stays put, when no one is looking you reach in under the seat ledge and pull the cord. Work perfect. And using the inside cable from a bike brake or de-railer works well and should outlast the bike.

I did this mainly, because maybe I am getting old but I couldn't master the pushing and turning my key in to unlatch the seat which seem to work only about 1 in 10 times. I wouldn't want the issue with a key on a trip.

Yes, I am torn on the paint, the lawn chair back gets a few looks but my comfort to me is more important, maybe varnish will be my answer or even a nice black floor tile... I am 6'4" and I want the backrest as far to the rear as possible. It perfect for me right now and would give people the ability to move it forward using the factory hardware if the rider is shorter.

oldjack

#10 ·
I linked it in post number two.

I just completed the mod and my only complaint is that the cable comes out on the high side due to the way the latch is made. I think if I go with oldjack's way of doing it with a bicycle cable in a sleeve I could route it to come out on the low side when it’s on it's side stand. I always mount and dismount on the low side and naturally load the belly from the low side.

#11 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of updated pictures to show how I did this mod, I hope they are clear enough. I don't think I would run a cable with a outer core, this is just one more thing to go wrong. This is designed to be an emergency way of getting in the seat, but that said its all I have been using since I installed it. One more thing, I do not attache the long end to anything it seems to stay put under the seat lip once the seat is down.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Actually having owned both a 2005 some years ago and now a 2013, and having recently also installed the emergency seat latch mod (though I routed the cable differently than indicated here to avoid the need to do any drilling of holes) I can say that the seat latch bracket is different between the older and newer models. The pre-2013 B650 seat latch bracket is much more open than the the newer models. On the 2013+ models the bracket is more enclosed around the seat latch and that covering extends to the frame on each side as shown in @oldjack's photos. Also, the stock Burgman 650 (without the parts for the Givi case mountings) DOES cover the seat latch bracket almost completely... except for the actual latch from the 2 socket head bolts up. The Givi rear handle cover (as Givi calls it) is the panel that covers the hole left when the back rest is removed and the Givi version of this panel does not cover all the way to the storage box as the official Suzuki panel does.

But since this is for a pre-2013 model Burgman 650 all that about the panel may not apply since the Givi mounting simply uses the Suzuki panel already on the scoot from the factory (there are 2 versions of the early panels, one with the back rest and one without). Doing the emergency seat latch release mod as oldjack did would still work fine on the older models. I preferred my latch release cable to be a bit more concealed and ran it under the bodywork, yet still able to be reached when needed. This did not require any holes to be drilled and works great also.

BTW @Dave_J , There are enough posts in this thread just about the back rest and not really related to the seat latch question to justify a separate thread just on that subject. Even if needing to copy one or two initial posts on that and moving the others.

Reactions: Dave_J
#13 ·
Actually having owned both a 2005 some years ago and now a 2013, and having recently also installed the emergency seat latch mod (though I routed the cable differently than indicated here to avoid the need to do any drilling of holes) I can say that the seat latch bracket is different between the older and newer models. The pre-2013 B650 seat latch bracket is much more open than the the newer models. On the 2013+ models the bracket is more enclosed around the seat latch and that covering extends to the frame on each side as shown in @oldjack 's photos. Also, the stock Burgman 650 (without the parts for the Givi case mountings) DOES cover the seat latch bracket almost completely... except for the actual latch from the 2 socket head bolts up. The Givi rear handle cover (as Givi calls it) is the panel that covers the hole left when the back rest is removed and the Givi version of this panel does not cover all the way to the storage box as the official Suzuki panel does.

But since this is for a pre-2013 model Burgman 650 all that about the panel may not apply since the Givi mounting simply uses the Suzuki panel already on the scoot from the factory (there are 2 versions of the early panels, one with the back rest and one without). Doing the emergency seat latch release mod as oldjack did would still work fine on the older models. I preferred my latch release cable to be a bit more concealed and ran it under the bodywork, yet still able to be reached when needed. This did not require any holes to be drilled and works great also.

BTW @Dave_J , There are enough posts in this thread just about the back rest and not really related to the seat latch question to justify a separate thread just on that subject. Even if needing to copy one or two initial posts on that and moving the others.

Hope oldjack does not mind but I copied his post about the back rest and made a new thread, then moved all the following backrest posts to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.