Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking delivery tomorrow morning, and very excited!

javascript:emoticon(':cheers:')

I've been glued to this forum (and the other yahoo one) for the past year, and am glad to finally get to experience what I've been reading about.

I'm very pleased with the dealer and the deal. It included a very liberal compensation for some damage to the windscreen that occurred when one of their people cleaned it with a glass cleaner. It's not scratched. It seems that it has some kind of very thin coating on it that is splotchy and looks like parts of it are sort of peeled off.

It's too soon for me to know if I want to replace the windshield with an OEM, a Givi, or a different make screen. In the meantime I'm wondering if I can salvage the existing one. It's really NOT that bad, unless I'm riding directly into the sun.

Can it be buffed or polished, or does a coating need to be applied? Where do I start?

Thanks for all of the great advice and pointers I've gotten from this forum.
Patti
(I've been signing EdTech and LM, which are email names.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!

Secondly, BE SAFE!

Thirdly, HAVE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Meguiar's plastic polish (at the auto parts store, or maybe WallyWorld) and a lot of elbow grease, or a variable speed quarter inch drill at low speed with a rubber sanding wheel with a soft polishing disk on it.

There's also a Black&Decker car polisher/buffer sold that will do the job just fine. Comes with all the attachments.

If you're polishing by hand, use a soft CLEAN cloth, like an old white t-shirt with the seams cut off it.

Polish in a circular fashion, going back and forth across the screen and overlapping your polishing area. Use plenty of polish; the excess will wash off later. Don't let the polishing pad become dry.

But do take the windscreen off the bike so you can get at it. All it takes is a screwdriver, polish - and patience!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Congrats. Sorry you had to get the slower, less comfortable silver model, but congrats nonetheless.

<KIDDING>

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. If the above tips make the stock screen bearable, before replacing it with aftermarket, I'd wait to compare the current offerings with the upcoming Clearview for the 400. They keep pushing back the release but hopefully they'll get their act together . . . soon.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I've used the Mequiars polish myself and it works great. It should do the job just perfectly.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love your flames!

Hey, Allwalk! I love your pewter flames! I just called tapeworks.com to ask for some swatches. I'm thinking of doing mine in magenta. Any tips on the tape job will be much appreciated.

As for the screen, I was hoping to see what Clearview will put out. Besides my vision being chopped in half, if I sit normally, the ride is noisy. If I crouch down, it's very quiet. I don't know what would happen sound wise if the screen were shorter, but as for view, I really prefer looking above it.

Patti

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bliss

Today was my 4th time ever on a Burgman. I will admit to being a little scared at first. This was probably a healthy respect for the power of a Burgman. The most powerful scoot I had ever ridden prior was the Yamaha Riva 180.

So I avoided the freeway and went on a 12 mile errand. It was great. I went over some very bad streets without any problems. Since I'm breaking it in, I only had it up to 4000 rpm's, but I felt more and more at ease. I still think I want to wait a bit before getting on the freeway.

The neatest thing was when I went grocery shopping and was able to put two 2-liter bottles of soda plus a half gallon of milk in the trunk! That was in addition to about 5 plastic bags of groceries! I could have actually put 2 whole gallons of milk in the trunk! This is the first time I've ever been able to bring home this amount of groceries without a car!

Today I pretty much felt like a kid in Disneyland!
Patti

1 - 8 of 8 Posts