Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to introduce myself, and begin to immerse myself in the Burgman sea of knowledge.
I just put money down on a zero mile 2013 Burgman 650. I will close the deal in the next couple days. After approximately 25 years away from riding (raising kids), I am ready to get back to it. I'm well past the scooter stigma, and refuse to ignore the quality of ride in exchange for image.
Anyway... As most know, the initial purchase often times allows you to purchase accessories at a substantial savings. A helmet, leather jacket, and boots doesn't really provide the level of protection available today. So, I'm considering some new gear. Any recommendations are gladly considered. Also... as a rule, I am not in favor of maintenance packages. But, being unfamiliar with Burgman maintenance, I would like to know if $1500 seems good, bad, or ugly for value on a 3 year total maintenance package? It seems a bit high, but I'm several years removed from motorcycle service costs. Appreciate any input! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
First off, congratulations! And welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

As far as a list of must-haves...

Full riding suit. Forget the leather, there are far better materials nowadays, Kevlar and such. Try to find one that will give you year round protection and comfort. Perhaps something with mesh panels for summer and wind, rain and thermal liners for winter. Not sure where you will be riding, but I suggest light colors, white, silver, beige, etc. black absorbs sun light and will make you very warm in summer.

Boots, yes, but you probably won't need the full MC version as you won't need shifting stiffness in the soles.

Modular helmet (the face flips up). Many models to choose from.
Airhawk or some other seat pad are popular additions.
Nay, on the maintenance package. It's been discussed as unnecessary.

Most of this stuff can be purchased on line. So do some comparison shopping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I'm "out the door" at $8500 (minus DMV) I think some new riding togs are in order. And as far as maintenance, $1500 would buy a manual and any specialty tools and leave a fair chunk in my pocket. Also would like to put a top case on, and considering heated seat and grips (they looked it up and say its an available option). Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW.. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. I expect to ride for commuting and pleasure around 8 months of the year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You'll want to compare those savings to, say, mail ordering from Revzilla. My dealer had a pathetic garment collection and prices that were still still high after my new-purchase discount.

Over the years I transitioned from leather to textile clothing. Part of it is living in a warmer climate. Textiles never look as good to me but they are comfortable over a wider range of conditions. The hard choice is one piece or two when it comes to outfits. I have always been a jacket and pants man, wearing a Motoport cordura two-piece set for many years, but I am waiting on my first one-piece, a Roadcrafter Light from Aerostitch (yes, which cost WAY too much money). If I had to spend less I would look hard at an Olympia one-piece or a Kilimanjaro jacket (First gear?) and some unspecified pants but I wanted something better-fitted to my lumpy self.

As far a gloves and boots go, one word, Goretex. I am a fan of that liner for all-weather riding. I had Oxtar (now TCS) Matrix boots that I recently retired for a new pair of similar design Alpine Stars (forget the model).

I can't live with just one set of gloves, as I can mostly for boots, so I have inexpensive mesh for super-hot days, Lee Parks deer skin for most days (used to wear Held gloves but Profis and Sprints did not last well for the price), Gerbings G3 electric gloves for coldest days (along with their jacket liner), and Aerostitch "triple digit" covers for wet days. For all-weather use I'm starting to wear Alpine Stars Web gloves. A bit bulky but not too hot for 3/4 of my year and, to me, better protection than the Lee Parks design.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I went with FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and Kathmandu overpants. Upgraded the back protector in the jacket so that now all the armor is D3O. The pants and jacket can be zipped together to form a suit. One thing I like about the pants is the excellent hip-bone armor. Might have to look for some mesh clothes for summer though, these are definitely cool-weather items. For boots, Gaerne G-Adventure ... from just north of you in Fungus Corners I can report that this combo is 100% waterproof in our wonderful near-continuous rain and I ride 12 months except in ice/snow. Shoei RF-1100 full-face to protect the noodle. I have minor gripes about each piece but I'd buy them all again.

I find that the 650 maintenance is much easier than working on blasted cages but I'm a die-hard gearhead and I like to be "connected" to the systems by working on them regularly. Personally I wouldn't buy the maintenance package but if you don't want the hassle and you have someone whom you trust with your new ride then it might be a good deal.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Orygone,

Welcome to the Burgman experience! You've found the best tool for your ride...BUSA!

A few helpful tips for you that I discovered in different places here.

1. http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/burgman-scooters/
this is the best and 99% of the time, the lowest price on Burgman OEM parts. They even sell the extended warranty for a fraction of what most dealers will scam you for.

2. Get a battery tender and get it hardwired to your battery. Makes it easy to plug it in the night before a ride or after a season of not riding.

3. Music: Bluetooth is your friend. Either a helmet with it included or something like an LG Tone+

4. Keep a "Triple A" goody bag on your scoot. This needs to have duct tape, a basic set of tools, bungee cords, tire plug kit, etc. I made a homemade set of jumper cables that I've used to jump other scoots off...and for mine as well.

5. I joined the American Motorcycle Association. For $49/ year you get discounts on hotels, some websites for scooter gear...and a towing coverage. The towing part alone is worth it. If you travel, it really adds value. The first 3 hotel stays' discount covered the $49 membership fee.

6. Good rain gear...and keep it on the scooter. Never know when it might rain.

7. Car or Motorcycle Tracker app for iPhone or Android. I plugged in my maintenance schedule and with each fill-up, it tells me how my MPG are and when I get close to a maintenance(Mileage or time), I get reminded.

I'm sure there's more, but wanted to share these tips.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! After a few weeks, I'm really enjoying this scoot! Already did a couple upgrades. Added a Givi e55 top case ( why don't they offer the 2013 pearl white lid?). Anyway, I haven't had anything but good experiences so far. Looking forward to finishing break-in, so all restrictions are removed!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I've found one reality that is somewhat disconcerting. After nearly 1500 miles, my scoot has a serious bug problem and desperately needs a bath.
Problem is... Every time I schedule time to do it, I convince myself that the time would be better spent riding. More bugs!!!!!! (grin)

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you do get around to cleaning your scooter, you might want to spritz the bugged-up areas with hydrogen peroxide and letting it work for a while before washing/cleaning.....dissolves organic components and seems to loosen bug carcass adhesion to the clearcoat....I wax mine with Rejex, which seems to be better than average at keeping bugs from sticking quite so stubbornly......best throttle lock I have found is the simplest.....from Aerostitch for $20.....have also gone to O-ring for the grips and side visors from Oneida Suzuki......remember that your speedometer is about 8% optimistic and the odometer about half that.....
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ok, so I've found one reality that is somewhat disconcerting. After nearly 1500 miles, my scoot has a serious bug problem and desperately needs a bath.
Problem is... Every time I schedule time to do it, I convince myself that the time would be better spent riding. More bugs!!!!!! (grin)
That is to be expected. I live 3 miles to the grocery store but at times it takes 30+ miles to make the round trip. I've been considering buying a new sharper set of stirrups to keep mine in line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After adding an Air Hawk R to my saddle, I now have no reason to pull into my driveway! It sure diminishes the desire to reach destinations!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on your new 650 and welcome to the Burgman family here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gave the Burg' a thorough debugging and detail today... That lasted about all of 5 hours before I felt the urge to burn more fuel. We've been re-bugged! �� Happy Independence day!!!

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
.....I've been considering buying a new sharper set of stirrups to keep mine in line.
There are no sharp edges on my stirrups, but my SPURS
are the sharpest I could find....but sometimes, they don't
do any good. Big Blue just keeps going anyway. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing that wasn't mentioned that really impressed me was the use of Lemon Pledge for a quick clean up. You have a new bike and don't have any dulling of the black Tupperware but this stuff is the best I have found to make the old scoot look new again. It will keep your's looking new! Enjoy

·
Registered
704 Posts
There are no sharp edges on my stirrups, but my SPURS
are the sharpest I could find....but sometimes, they don't
do any good. Big Blue just keeps going anyway. ;)
Thanks for your correction. I meant spurs. Obviously I'm not a horse person. ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
7. Car or Motorcycle Tracker app for iPhone or Android. I plugged in my maintenance schedule and with each fill-up, it tells me how my MPG are and when I get close to a maintenance(Mileage or time), I get reminded.
Hello G-BO,

Can you advise good iOS app for tracking?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts