Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Just picked up my NEW 2004 650 last night. I tested an o3 which they
really wanted to get rid of, said they would not bring out the 04 until this
was sold. Apparently while I was out test riding the blue 03 they brought
in a black 04. I fell in love with it. We made a deal on the 03 and told them
I noticed the black 04 on the show room floor and would buy it right now
for the same deal on the 03.....he left and came back with a smile on his face and am now a proud owner of a burgman.

I rode it into work last night, the have a seperate parking area for motercycles. Guess who's bike everyone was viewing!!! I am getting the
dieseling sound I herd about..no big deal, just have to stop reaching for the clutch and food brake...thats a hard habit to break at first...but won't be a problem after I'm done riding today.

I have one question right now...does anyone remember the RPM's
at 25-35-45mph. (in automatic mode) Just want to make sure it's shifting ok. It's kind of
odd not to feel the trans. shifting thru the gears..at least I can't fell it
shifting. I will write back later today..Friday after I put a 100 miles or so on it. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
Monty congrats,

Neat ain't it. but really,RPM's in the auto mode seems to stay between 3,000 - 4,000. It dosen't really matter what speed, @ 60 I'm still at 4,000, then it goes up from there. Use manual mode once and a while, it makes it easer to vary the rpm's for break-in. I'm 95% of the time in auto mode 4% power mode 1% manual mode (mainly just to play with it)

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can't feel it shifting because it doesn't "shift". It has a continuously variable transmission (CVT). i.e. a variable pulley. Smooth, isn't it?

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim said:
Monty congrats,

Neat ain't it. but really,RPM's in the auto mode seems to stay between 3,000 - 4,000. It dosen't really matter what speed, @ 60 I'm still at 4,000, then it goes up from there. Use manual mode once and a while, it makes it easer to vary the rps for break-in. I'm 95% of the time in auto mode 4% power mode 1% manual mode (mainly just to play with it)
Yes...just went out for a spin...about 50 miles and it does seem to stay
in that range. I went to CompUSA and bought the speakers that mistergib
had bought. I haven't set it up yet but the sales man had them connected
to a lap top and played some music thru them....loud and good sounding
for a small set of speakers.
I'm going to grab a bite to eat and off I go. :twisted:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jim said:
THATS THE 400, THE 650 IS A 5 SPEED
Not true. The 650 is a CVT. It operates in pure CVT fashion in both Auto and Power modes. The "Manual" mode lets you select 5 predetermined points along the CVT path - simulating a 5 speed. But the tranny is absolutely a CVT (and a very good one).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personal CD Player / Remote

I bought a personal CD player at WalMart for $37 that comes with a
remote control attached to the cord. You can change from radio to
CD and change tracks and adjust the volume....it has a clip on it- I
just clip it on the ring on my keys...works great, the player fits into
either side compartment....I use the speakers I bought at CompUsa.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Automatic, 5-speed ???

Hi,
any discussion of the Burgman 650 has to begin with its transmission, the Suzuki Electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (SECVT). It elevates the Burgman 650 far above any would-be competitors. Electronically controlled CVT systems are now becoming available on high-end sports cars. Suzuki is the first manufacturer to develop one for a mass-production two-wheel vehicle.

It’s automatic! It’s manual!

The SECVT offers three distinct modes: two fully automatic modes (Normal and Power) and Manual, each one selected using a handlebar-mounted button. In Normal mode, the Burgman turns less engine rpm at normal road speeds, helping to conserve fuel. When Power mode is selected, engine rpm picks up, yielding more punch with every twist of the throttle.
Manual mode has five predetermined CVT ratios, which are selected using Up and Down buttons on the handlebar, resulting in a one-of-a-kind riding experience.

If you want to show your friends, how the transmission actually works (and you can shift all gears at your PC and you can use the power mode as well) click here: http://www1.suzuki.co.jp/motor/skywave650/secvt.html (You must allow to open Java applets, or get the "Macromedia Flash Player" for Windows at that page)

You wanna read more? Check it out: http://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/moto/index.html

Regrads
Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
CVT Transmission News

I think Honda had, or possibly still has, a car with a CVT transmission - but I really didn't care. Now that I've experienced how well the CVT on the Burgman 650 works, I'm more interested in the emergence of CVTs in the car market.

The Ford 500 will be coming out soon. That will be a mainstream car - it is the eventual replacement for the Taurus.

The Ford 500 will be offered with 2 transmission choices. A new 6 speed automatic - and a CVT! It will also have optional all wheel drive - and the all wheel drive will only be offered with the CVT transmission.

I think public acceptance of CVTs in cars may be slow at first, and that is why Ford is hedging their bet with two transmission choices. But it is exciting that a CVT will be available on a high volume mainstream car.
I if were looking for a new car next year, the Ford 500 with CVT would be on my "short list" of cars to test drive.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Subaru Justy

I think Subaru had a Justy with ECVT.

Isnt the Silver Wing similar? What kind of tranny does that POS have?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Subaru Justy

abm said:
No. The Silver Wing, the Burgman 400, and all the other competition, use the traditional mechanical CVT, where the gear ratio is changed based on sliding weights (basically governed by speed I think). The Electronic CVT on the Burgman 650, monitors things like speed, throttle opening, etc., via electronic sensors, and sets the gear ratio electronically based on all the inputs. It is a more advanced technology. It also makes it possible to provide the additional manual and power modes.

Umm... What is POS? I'm probably should know, but I'm drawing a blank on that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Subaru Justy

pauljo said:
abm said:

Umm... What is POS? I'm probably should know, but I'm drawing a blank on that.
It is a vulgar expression. Sorry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: CVT Transmission News

The Ford 500 will be coming out soon. That will be a mainstream car - it is the eventual replacement for the Taurus.

Did you know that the 2004 SATURN has a CVT??

Dodger

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

Dodger said:
Did you know that the 2004 SATURN has a CVT??

Dodger
Nope. I didn't know that. The Saturn, Honda CVT, Subaru Justy, are small cars with an economy image. The Ford 500 will be a somewhat different category, bigger, heavier, with a 200 hp V-6. So far though, they are all pretty much in the utility vehicle category. Solid everyday transport to get you from point A to point B.

The original post mentioned "high end sports cars". Anybody know of a specific sports car or luxury car that has a CVT planned? This is getting more interesting...

·
Registered
46 Posts

pauljo said:
The original post mentioned "high end sports cars". Anybody know of a specific sports car or luxury car that has a CVT planned? This is getting more interesting...
The Honda Insight and Toyota Prius hybrids both offer CVT's. Audi also offers 4 different transmissions in their cars. Conventional manual, Tiptronic manu-matic, Sequential Manual Gearbox, and the new CVT. Unlike any other CVT, Audi's is a "pusher" style. Intead of one cog or pulley being pulled by the other via a belt, Audi's pushes via a steel "belt".

CVT's will soon be available in most cars. They accelerate quicker and get better mileage than most manuals while offering the conveniece of an automatic. I just hope they don't replace the manual. I still prefer a clutch...... even in city driving. Maybe I'm just a control freak.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pauljo:

First time I saw POS I thought it meant Point of Sale.

However, when I tried to apply that meaning within the context of the sentence in which it was used, it made no sense.

Finally someone sent me a private e-mail.

DUH.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: CVT's

sleibo24 said:
Audi offers a CVT

Ummmmm....... Did you read my post? Look up two. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts