Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helped my girlfriend buy one yesterday with only 1270 original miles. As soon as I took off for a test drive, it started pouring rain and then after a minute, pea-sized hail ... not sure if that was a good or a bad omen. I was surprised how completely different the 400 feels compared to my K4 650, much more like a "scooter." Not a bad thing, it was actually a nice contrast.

I was also surprised that there's no oil pressure idiot light (the 650 has both oil pressure and oil level warnings). Did I miss something in the manual or is there no oil warning on the instrument panel?

First accessory will be the service manual ... I'll make a gearhead out of this woman now!

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are PDF versions of the service manual all over the web. Looks like the manual is for '03-'06 inclusive. I have a copy.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yup the little single cylinder is not as smooth as the 650's twin but still fully capable.
I hope she likes it and has fun with it! :hello1:

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
No oil-level indicator, but the oil level is much easier to check,
than on your 650. With the scooter on the center stand, unscrew
the filler plug, wipe off the dipstick measure, put the dipstick back
into the filler hole, but do not screw in...only touch the threads..
now remove & look at the oil level.
The warning light on the dash that says OIL, is a reminder of when
to change oil & filter. It is set-able in 600 mile increments, up to 3600.
Most riders go with 3000 miles..oil & filters are cheap..engines are expensive.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hello Duster and thanks for the instructions. Actually I <love> the sight-glass on my 650's oil sump, I wish all my vehicles had them (and my Yamaha outboard especially). Yes I have to bend WAY down to see it through the tupperware, but when I eventually get there and shine my super-bright scuba light on the glass, what a joy to be able to see the oil level AND color.

As much as I like her 400 I'm really happy that I picked the 650, I'm big and tall and my long legs just don't fit on the 400 very comfortably. She's only 5'2" so it's perfectly sized for her.

BTW my riding buddy (on his 14th or 15th MC now) was surprised that the 650 had even one oil idiot light (pressure), let alone the second one (level). I guess most smaller-engined MCs have no oil instrumentation at all (thank you Suzuki).

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Even some 'big' motorcycles only have
a High beam indicator, & Left & Right
turn signal indicators...no Neutral
indicator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts