Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, after years on sportsbikes id decided to dip my toe into the world of super scooters. i didnt want to spend a fortune on my first one incase i didnt get on with it, but after my first week its been brilliant.

unfortunately yesterday morning i jumped on it and pulling the trottle just didnt produce the same amount of torque or power. it will eventually get to 50mph put the acceleration is very poor all of a sudden.

the engine sounds fine, i dont think its the belt as it seems as though its not revving. if i put it on the centre stand so the back wheel is off the floor its revving up very slowly. any ideas whats happened to my new toy?

the bike is a 1999 model and has covered 30,000 miles but full service history

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
hi all, after years on sportsbikes id decided to dip my toe into the world of super scooters. i didnt want to spend a fortune on my first one incase i didnt get on with it, but after my first week its been brilliant.

unfortunately yesterday morning i jumped on it and pulling the trottle just didnt produce the same amount of torque or power. it will eventually get to 50mph put the acceleration is very poor all of a sudden.

the engine sounds fine, i dont think its the belt as it seems as though its not revving. if i put it on the centre stand so the back wheel is off the floor its revving up very slowly. any ideas whats happened to my new toy?

the bike is a 1999 model and has covered 30,000 miles but full service history
I am thinking from your description.........that it may very well be the clutch pads are worn.........or weak springs.! Take the CVT apart and look at both the clutch pads as well as the clutch springs....!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill check, but if it was the clutch surely it would scream its head off? very similar as the belt slipping?

·
Registered
69 Posts
While you're in there, make sure you blow the belt dust from around the roller weights (or better yet disassemble and clean it) on the far side of the variator and check your belt width. The minimum belt width is (I believe) 24.1 mm (0.949 in).

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
From the description of your problem, I don't think it is a clutch problem. I would look more at an engine or CVT problem.

You say the rear wheel is accelerating slowly even with the wheel off the ground. Is the engine rpm also going up slowly. If so that points more to an engine problem. A couple of things that come to mine that are easy to check are an obstruction in the air intake or exhaust.

If the engine rpm is rising quicker than the rear wheel speed is increasing then that points to a CVT shifting issue. I would take the variator apart and clean it then inspect for problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the revs are very sllloooowwww. i think you may be on the right track buffalo. maybe the carb blocked or something on the air intake side.
suppose if the jets were blocked it could cause it. the bike had gone unused a while before i bought it.
just incase ive had a look at the belt and all is good and measures up correctly. again i would have thought if it was belt or clutch the bike would be revving really high but not going anywhere?

if the bikes on the centre stand with the back wheel in the air, it takes about 10 seconds for it to rev up to maximum revs

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Does sound like something in the engine. However, have you checked the really simple stuff like a sticking rear brake. Pretty easy to pull the rear caliper off the bike then see if it still revs slowly.

For that matter you can pull the variator off the bike then see if the engine still revs slowly. That would pretty well confirm that the problem is in the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just out of curiosity you haven't pulled on the handbrake have you. It's the lever just below the handlebars and just above the large glove box. The lever should be in the up position when the brake is off.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, although good idea. i had a similar brainwave earlier thinking the caliper may be stuck on.... no such luck unfortunately

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Time for a tad of lateral thinking?

1999 400 is a carburettor model - check?

Whip the rubber air inlet off the carburettor, work the throttle and check you are achieving smooth action and full range lift on the air slide.

That's my bet!;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just been getting in there.... how much bloody plastic do i have to remove lol
a 5000 piece jigsaw is quicker!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Also check to see that you do not have an air leak on the engine side of the carburetor. A vacuum leak can lead to low power levels.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Didn't we have someone else on this forum not too long ago that had a similar problem and found a rodent nest or something in the engine area? If it has sat for some time it may have acquired a guest. Check for that once you have the plastic off. Could cause a problem if it is in the carb area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive sort of found the problem. if i rev the bike with the airbox offi can see the butterfly turn fully as it should, however the throttle slide is only reving half way. if i use a screwdriver to lift the throttle slide the bike revs its head off and works perfectly.
ive taken the carb top off as common sense says its the diaphram in the carb top, but its in perfect condition.
the 'pumper' part is working fine too and squirting fuel in just as it should?

so..... i sort of know where to point the finger but whats stopping it working as it should?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Told you!:)

Whip it out (the air slide) and check for any burrs.
Examine the 'cylinder' it slides in for any irregularities.
CHeck your throttle cable action has no 'lost motion' and that you have full range of 'action.

IIRC when I reassembled mine it worked fine and never caused trouble again.
I could never figure out exactly what I had done to make things better and put it down to 'showing the machine who the boss is';)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well ive stripped the carb, fired compressed air through everything and there seems no blockages etc. the slide is moving upwards fine by hand and there seems no tears on the actual diaphram.
im abit stuck where to go from this point

when you say 'air slide' you mean the throttle slide which the needle attatches to?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yes sorry - reassemble and see what you get now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sucking eggs again sorry but did you gently stretch the diaphragm over your fingers. Otherwise a split may not show.

Had a similar problem years ago and the split didn't show untill I stretched it a bit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts