Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been browsing this forum for a few weeks now and and derived a lot of information from here.
Today, I just gave a pristine 2003 Burgman 650 a new home (mine). It was a fantastic deal at thousands less than OTD price of new here and it has just under 900 miles (still has the little new tire nubs on the back tire). Also, the scooter came with the factory service manual and still has that nice new smell when it's warmed up. It's previous owners had to sell it due to unfortunate family circumstances but they were happy it now has a nice new home so that was nice.
Since I'm limited on street bikes (riding ATV's here and small scooters in Europe) I trailered it the 150 miles home.
Once home I took it for a ride in my residetial area and already I'm impressed! It is exactly like many have described on this forum-fantastic! Also, any concerns have been put to rest before I even started the bike.
Concerns such as the diesel thing--yeah it does it (sounds like diesel Renault Laguna I had in France :D ) and knowing it's normal helps out a lot. It's not bad at all, in fact I think it's made to be a bigger deal than it is. It is still much quieter than most motorcyles and scooters. But then again having prior knowlede (from here) helps. The engine braking is great. If some one is behind me I'll just operate a brake lever til I hear the "click" of the brake light switch--easy solution. Thanks for all the useful info. that allowed me to make an educated purchase! In my excitement, I've rambled enough so bye for now.
Oh yeah, I'm scheduled for a MSF course in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
New owner from Sacramento area

Hi Silverburgie, great to hear your feelings for your new bike. Ours (blue) is nearly a year old, and we feel the same way as you do all this time on, and 3400 miles on the clock. Good luck with the MSF course, any training or extra training can only be to your benefit.
Regards

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new machine and welcome to the forum SilverBurgie :wave:
Glad to hear this forum was useful in helping you to make your decision. Furthermore I'm glad your happy with the machine and this forum didnt mislead you. Great when you get something like this and hear a noise and know it's no big deal but actually normal.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
320 Posts
welcome

Welcome SilverBurgie! What a wonderful story about how you got your Burgie. Someone (Normsthename, I believe) used the term "pre-loved" to describe a previously-owned Burgie. That definitely seems to fit the bill in your Burgie's case.

Wishing you many happy and safe miles together,

Bryna<--proud and happy owner of a silver 400

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, sometimes one questions the wisdom behind purchasing something-especially when spending thousands of dollars. Well there is none of that here! I'm very proud to own this fine machine. Most responses to seeing the Burgie is "WOW!.
On the other hand, what to do about the "Why didn't you buy a real motorcyle?" or "Motorbikes are dangerous." usually accompanied by a horror story or two. It is almost momentarily diminishes the joy of aquiring this machine. As I said almost, every ride is more enjoyable than the last.
As for the "get a real motorcycle" crowd, they made me want the Burgie even more! How ironic, I'm being a rebel with a scooter! :D
Again, thanks!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
SilverBurgie said:
On the other hand, what to do about the "Why didn't you buy a real motorcyle?" or "Motorbikes are dangerous." usually accompanied by a horror story or two. It is almost momentarily diminishes the joy of aquiring this machine.
"Why didn't you buy a real motorcyle?"

What is a real motorcycle? A Harley - or a Harley clone? A crotch rocket sportbike? Most non-riders in the USA seem to associate one or the other with the word motorcycle. Hmmm... So why would I want to ride something that is less comfortable, can't carry much more than a toolkit or a bandana, doesn't offer any protection from the elements, and costs more to buy, operate and insure? The Burgman offers all the fun of motorcycling, with a high degree of practicality thrown in. And Sir, may I ask why you bought that mini-van instead of a Corvette?

"Motorbikes are dangerous." usually accompanied by a horror story or two.

Yes. There have been several motorcycle fatalities in the area I live this year. There have been approximately the same number of fatalities of pedestrians struck by motor vehicles. And there have been a much higher number of fatalities in car/truck/SUV accidents. But non-riders persist in thinking that they are invulnerable in their cars & trucks, and that we have a death wish every time we get on our cycles or scooters.

Most of the time, with questions like that, you've just got to consider the source. It is basically impossible to change the viewpoint of a person who has not experienced the joy of riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrat on you new scoot

I'm from No Cal also. I've had mine about 3 months. Have to tell you I don't get "the why not a real bike" much. But I'll have to tell you I took a ride with my brother this weekend to Yuba City and stopped at the Harley Dealer. All the sudden the Ladies working in the shop ran out side and were excited and giggled about the GIANT scooter. They had no idea of who's it was and I just kepted my mouth shut to see their reaction. After they came back in the talked to the guys that worked there and they sheepishly went out to take a look as well. Kind of walked by stood out in the shade then walked back in. There weren't to many people in the shop just then so one of the women asked who's bike was that. So in short even the Harley riders were impressed with the Giant Scooter and I only have a 400, so the 650 would even empress them more. Keep riding and have fun. PS I been looking for a riding club in the area but haven't found one for scooter, But the freedom cuirser wellcome all bike types, so if your looking they have a site of their own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts