Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Laminar Lip

The lip attaches to the windshield using 3M dual lock adhesive tabs. They're essentially super strong velcro attachments. The instructions say that the adhesive side of the tabs takes 24 hours to set, but you can start driving right away. The only downside is that they recommend the outside temperature be 70 degrees for best adhesive curing. (This kept me from installing the Lip for a couple of weeks).

Anyway...I had a buddy sit on the seat and make sure everything was lined up. The end result is that I gained about 3 to 4 inches of airstream clearance. Now I can actually ride at 75 mph without exteme wind noise (although I still hear some noise) and can actually flip the face shield up and ride without getting blasted by wind.

I was initially concerned with the way the lip would look, but it actually doesn't look bad at all. The Laminar Lip logo stickers that cover the 3M adhesive tabs are silver and match the paint of the bike so they don't stick out. I'm really satisfied with the purchase.

Andy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Checked out the site. I am impressed by the technology, and if it works that is great. My concern would be that in the picture for the 400, the Lip looks...well kinda cheesy. It takes away for the very sporty streamlined look. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have seen the Givi, it looks very nice, but I am hearing some negitives to it. Enough that I am waiting for a better option. Another member here has one. I emailed Clearview, and they are supposed to be designing a prototype for the 400 this Spring. We shall see. I am open to other options.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Gee, negatives about GIVI's screen for the 400? I have missed 'em, somehow. Would you mind sharing what you've heard? Of course, I understand that you're not reporting your personal experience yet. And thanks for the word that Clearview finally has something in development for the 400 crowd.

(BTW, congrats on getting your 400. Lord willing, we pick ours up this Saturday.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, I'm here.
After people talked about 'moulding marks' on the Givi, I had to take a look and sure enough, there appears to be some sort of fine bubbling in the plastic that I hadn't noticed before. I had to look for it, and it's only noticable around sharp bends where the lensing effects are extreme anyway, so I don't find that to be a problem. If I can, I'll take some pictures and add them to my site.

I don't regret getting the screen. Riding is far more pleasurable now than it was originally. Plus, it's available NOW, which is a big plus! However, once the Clearview comes out for the 400, I'll have to see what people think and would consider an upgrade if it's substantially better.

-Ted

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Got my laminar lip today.
First thing i noticed is what I've referred to as unilock velcro in a few other threads is exactly what holds the laminar lip onto the stock windshield and they call it dual lock (which makes more sense than what I was told it's called)!
Takes less than 10 mins to install and a 'good eye' can install it from the front without the recommended second person sitting on the seat to see it it's level.
I took her for a spin and immediately noticed far less buffetting. What used to hit me straight in the face (from about mouth up) now hits me about forehead level if I don't sloutch (I'm 6'2" with 32 inseam).
I also noted quite a bit more windshield flex than before but not so much I was at all worried about it and I'll trade that flex to head flex without fussing about it. Rode her about 30 miles at 70 and slightly above on my 400 and I'm indeed pleased. Total price to me was $75+S&H = $83.05 (used priority mail option and got it in 4 days - over a Sunday).
I will wait to see what comes of the clearview and shall use the lip until either the clearview comes out and I can afford it, the clearview doesn;t come out and rain convinces me I need more than the lip or until it falls apart. ;)
Seriously though, I think it's a good deal for the money for those 400 owners who do not wish to spend the money for a Givi (waiting on a clearview perhaps?) and want a solution for head and some upper-body wind buffeting! :D I am glad i bought it!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Selias said:
I took her for a spin and immediately noticed far less buffetting. What used to hit me straight in the face (from about mouth up) now hits me about forehead level if I don't sloutch (I'm 6'2" with 32 inseam).
Being a newbie rider still in the break-in period, I was wondering at what speeds could I expect the stock windshield to cause excessive buffeting. I've been up to 60 mph, but haven't noticed it. Would it occur at higher speeds? Does a full-face helmet make a difference?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Starts just above 60 (unless passing a truck - or vica-versa) where it begins becoming apparent/noticable and gets stronger the faster you go. Taller folks notice it more of course.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
Welcome fellow wisconite,

I just put my 2nd GIVI on my 650. I had to replace the 1st one (don't ask, my fault). I have had a GIVI since Sept of 03, Clearview was not available at that time. I did check out the Clearview and it looks like an excellent windshield. Many choices as to size and tint. I ended up ordering a GIVI for 2 reasons.

1-Cost from a dealer with shipping and tax $ 137.28 (took 1 week ETA)
2- Hand protection, more of it on a GIVI

Yes they both offer great protection, I am 6'2" and the GIVI just works. If I was taller I would go with the Clearview

Hope it Helps

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ron,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. At the top of the page, there is a "Search" link. Try it out. There has been a huge amount of previous input and discussion on windscreens. Reading some of that should help you a great deal. Then if you have specific questions, we could help you better.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Stargazer said:
Being a newbie rider still in the break-in period, I was wondering at what speeds could I expect the stock windshield to cause excessive buffeting. I've been up to 60 mph, but haven't noticed it. Would it occur at higher speeds? Does a full-face helmet make a difference?
Stargazer, your Type S's windscreen is chopped and a lot lower than the regular B400's screen. Most likely your whole helmet is in the air stream and you won't experience any odd buffeting. It'll just be the normal wind that anyone riding a 'naked' bike or some other minimally faired bike will feel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts