1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rig:
2007 Burgman 400
2 Pelican Cases on bent and welded 1/2" tubing racks
A Stanley tool box/top box with backrest mounted on a custom rear rack I threw together too quickly (it shows :( )
2 MSR fuel bottles
Utopia Backrest
Tall Clearview windsheild

The Trip:
New Orleans to Los Angeles

The Riders:
Myself, Will, 26, a motorcycle rider of 7 years.
My Girlfriend, Mak, 23, a rider on the back of my Vespa for 6 months.

The Riding Gear:
Myself: Aerostich R-3, Nolan N104 helmet, Elk skin gloves, Redwing boots, Oakley Frog Skins, and a Sena SMH-10.

Mak: Firstgear Kilamanjaro Jacket and Pants, Schuberth C3W helmet, Elk skin gloves, Redwings, Oakley Frog Skins, and a Sena SMH-10.

The Camping Gear:
2 Kelty Cosmic Down Sleeping bags
2 Camp Pillows
2 Thermarest base-camp sleeping pads
Eureka Sunriver 2 tent
MSR Pocket Rocket Stove and fuel
MSR 2 person cook set
French Press
Tarp

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We left New Orleans on September 27th, which just so happened to be the hottest day in Louisiana of the year. We really didn't think our departure date through. Our plan was to make it to Austin Tx that Saturday. After some coffee and much encouragement, Mak was ready. We hopped on I-10 and made good time to Houston, stopping for a photo op at the La/Tx border.

We met up with our friend Alex in Houston for lunch at Local Foods (They have a truffle oil egg salad sandwich there that is the bee's knees) and he met us on his Harley Sportster 48 for a scoot about town. Afterwords we went to the Contemporary Art museum and learned one of the many perks of owning a smart car: parking anywhere you please, sidewalks included.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Very ambitious....must be nice to be young and free....;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once in Austin we slept at the Super 8 due to "A flood destroying the primitive campsites" at the Mckinney falls state park. I didn't know it was possible to destroy a primitive campsite, but I guess people have varying definitions of "primitive".

When we awoke we went to a coffee/bike shop called Mellow Johnny's. It was quite the scene. Everyone would pull up on their bicycles, grab some breakfast, then ride off. I saw more men in spandex in the 45 minutes I was having breakfast than I have in my entire life.

After visiting the Texas State Museum, grabbing some lunch, and some general digging of Austin, we were off to Marfa Tx.

We made it to Fredricksburg after driving through Texas wine country which was quite a surprise. When I stepped in to the shower at the motel, I was greeted by a pair of vicegrips in place of a hot water knob. It didn't bother me that the knob was broken; it bothered me that instead of replacing a cheap plastic knob, they used a pair of nice vicegrips.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 90 miles before Marfa, we stopped in Alpine Tx, which was an interesting little place filled with shops and restaurants. It was full of friendly people and a nice little main street. We had lunch and made the push to Marfa. Unfortunately we picked one of the worst days to visit Marfa, Monday, since most restaurants and bars are only open Thurs-Sat. Fortunately we found a restaurant that was open, a fancy hipster place, and I had the best pork tenderloin I have ever tasted. It was unreal. At this point we were really getting run down by the 95+ degree heat so we drank a bit of wine and tried to get to bed early for an early start Tuesday. We were headed to Carlsbad Nm to dig the caverns. Little did we know, we were in for the prettiest stretch of the journey.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got up at 4am and blasted west at 80mph to try and get as far as we could while it was still cool. As the sun started to come up we were climbing in elevation and the terrain was starting to get pretty mountainous. The Burg was having trouble maintaining speed on the uphill sections, but I didn't care because the scenery was incredible and we were the only vehicle in sight. After lots of twist and turns, uphill and downhill, we made it to the caverns. This was totally worth going to see. I chose the walk-down route as opposed to the elevator down route and spent about 2 hours meandering down and through the cavern.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ahh, to be young, unencumbered and the world laid out before you. Enjoy these days WildWilly. You will remember them fondly.

Looks like an awesome trip.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Amen, Liam. I still remember those days fondly.

Sure looks like fun is being had on that trip! What's the gear Mak is wearing in the Marfa pic? I have absolutely worn out a Firstgear Kilimanjaro and it's a great bit of kit, but the one she had didn't look worn out at all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Curious as to your distance traveled between fill ups? On my last adventure, when the gauge got in the upper red zone, I typically covered 130-140 miles, and it would take ~2.5gals to top it up. Is that the case for you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
2 up and loaded on a Burgman 400. It is an amazing machine, isn't it? No one believes a 400 will do what it does.

I road cross country last yr on a Burg 400 and returned on a Burg 650. The Burg 400 was flawless, the 650 was fine too, until it had CVT problems and ended up on a truck.

How fast did you usually ride?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts