Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. You may have noticed I've answered a few posts here, but I wanted to hold off on my introduction until after I actually had a Burgman in my garage.

My story is pretty typical from what I've gathered on the board; I'm in my late 40's and have been riding since the 1970's. I've owned a bunch of bikes, starting with 1970's UJM's (Universal Japanese Motorcyles) and, after a 10 year hiatus from riding in the 1990's, I worked my way up to a used BMW R1100RT. I loved the RT - it did everything I wanted with superb weather protection and nice cargo hauling ability. Unfortunately, at 36,000 miles the RT decided to strip out the input shaft from the engine to the transmission. The bike had other issues, and I decided it would be more cost effective to part it out rather than get it fixed. After that, I've had a couple of other motorcycles, but I really wanted something that could do what the RT could. Unfortunately, BMW and I had a different idea as to what the cost of their bike should be, so I decided to look elsewhere

During the gawd-awful 2013-14 winter, I spent a ton of time looking for the perfect sport-touring machine and was really won over by the FJR-1300. Unfortunately for me, the FJR is a bit too tall and wide for my stubby legs (I'm 5' 6"). I had sat on a Burgman 650 when they first arrived in the US and thought the concept was pretty neat. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made for me to get one. The voice of reason (my wife) suggested that I test ride one first, which I was able to do last week. I loved it! After that, it was a question of new or used. It turns out leftover 2013's weren't that much more than a number of used units on Craig'slist, so I decided to go new.

Now I just have to restrain myself during the break-in period. I was struck be just how smooth the Burgman was on the way home from the dealership. I've ordered my factory service manual and I'm looking forward to the 600 mile service.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome! This is only the beginning of many great discussions and stories!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome from hot and rainy Tampa, FL! You're going to love that 650. Glad you found us; it's always good to have a fresh voice in the mix.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

And congratulations on the new bike. You'll be amazed at just how useful the 650 is. It's got most everything of other bikes and a whole lot more, like storage, protection, auto tranny. Enjoy the burgman grin. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum :hello2:
Great intro.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome Burgman Brother. Last February I found a GREAT deal on a Brand new 2012 Burgman 650 Executive at a dealership in Indianapolis, Indiana. Had 2, yes I said 2 miles on him for $6299. Been a great bike so far. Just took a road trip to Michigan ( I live in Smyrna, Tennessee) with no problems. My door back to my door I road 1481 miles. There great bikes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the Burgman family.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Welcome...where in Minn. is home ??
Been up that way the last 2 summers.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congrats
I was struck be just how smooth the Burgman was on the way home from the dealership.
What's remarkable...both my 650s got smoother up to about 15k miles.

If you are a twistys rider...you will love the 650 and the power button is a big part of that. But wait a bit until it's broken in. I'd ask here about best method on that.

Both mine have been used tho both were low mileage.

Most engines do best if run up and down a lot during the break in and that can be problematic since the CVT tends to stay in a fairly narrow range especially on the highway.

I have no idea of what the break in is for the ECVT is tho I suspect some here will or ask LeDude.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where in MN? I grew up in St. Paul.
I'm up in Maple Grove, and work in Minneapolis. In fact, the Burgman is sitting in the parking garage here at work this morning. The ride to work was great, and I was struck by how maneuverable the AN650 is, despite the longer wheelbase.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I'm up in Maple Grove, and work in Minneapolis.
If you ever get over by Lino Lakes,
keep your eyes open for MomOnTheLoose...
of course, she could be anywhere around
the Twin Cities...:hello1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts