Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a delight for in store for me this morning. I had my local Suzuki dealer call me to say that they had the new model bike available to look at and ride. The bike is what we call a press bike and our local dealer got it first! So I now have the distinction of the first person in New Zealand to ride the new machine. I put 56km on the clock.

Impressions:
It’s not a lardy any longer! It rides a lot smother, the gearing is a pleasure, gone is the severe engine braking. It seems very well planted and the balance is excellent. The seat is better and my wife tried out the pillion position, her comment was that it was easier to mount, better foot rests and it had a back rest that actually works. Getting up on the center stand is easier by half; well it seemed that way, perhaps it was just an adrenaline rush.

The down side, not much in my opinion, I had trouble fitting a couple of full face helmets in the under seat storage and the front screen is B Awful.

Would I buy the new bike; **** YES! It will be available late October, so I’m told.

Side case Racks; Well, I took the opportunity to have a little measure up. Making racks so the case once mounted looks good will be a challenge due to the rap around pillion grips and the shape of the more sporty look Tupperware and the higher exhaust, but we will see what happens once I can get my hands on a bike for a decent length of time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Darn, just when I was thinking I'd squeeze another 20K out of my 07 I read a glowing report like this on the new Burgy. I do love my 07 but it would sure be nice to have a different color. If Suzuki stays with the same boring pallette I may have to do a full paint job to bright orange with flames just for a grin.

Thanks for a nice review mate...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You stated "gone is the severe engine braking" I personally like the sound of that , my question is exactly how far gone is it ? Lets for the moment call the older model's engine brake a 10 on the EB scale , where would you put the EB on the new 2013 model ?

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You stated "gone is the severe engine braking" I personally like the sound of that , my question is exactly how far gone is it ? Lets for the moment call the older model's engine brake a 10 on the EB scale , where would you put the EB on the new 2013 model ?

TheReaper!
3 may be 2 Try riding your current bike in Manual Mode at the same lower speeds that is causing you trouble now when in Auto.

IMO the Auto mode on the New 13 is better than that.:D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would put the EB on the 2013 at about 60% of prior years 650s. Also something I never noticed on my 09 or 11 650 is on the 2013 it seems to drop into free wheeling at about 8 MPH.

Bill

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The point at which the 'freewheeling' occurs is common across the range and is the point where the clutch 'disengages'.

This whole issue is nothing more than a user one - adapting to a new transmission system that does not involve use of the left sided limbs.;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm probably the odd ball here but I like the engine braking. Most of my riding is on crooked steep mountain roads and the engine braking saves me a lot of braking. I had to use a lot more braking when I rode my 400 on the same roads.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I also like the engine braking of the 650 for the same reasons that osbornk mentions, but it is a feature in serious need of refinement. In 'normal' day-to-day riding, I shouldn't need the touch of a neuro-surgeon to smoothly decelerate to stop. Bill-Bill's estimate of the new model being 60% of the old models would appeal to me. Kiwi's 20-30% would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I'll find out for myself next year when I start shopping for a used '13 or, lord help me, a new '14.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
A common explanation for liking the engine braking that has been expressed on this forum for a long time is "it saves me from braking".

My comment would be, I would rather replace inexpensive brake pads that I can replace by myself with little work, than add the increased stress on the drive train which is expensive to replace and a major repair.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A common explanation for liking the engine braking that has been expressed on this forum for a long time is "it saves me from braking".

My comment would be, I would rather replace inexpensive brake pads that I can replace by myself with little work, than add the increased stress on the drive train which is expensive to replace and a major repair.
I don't think engine braking puts much stress on the driveline and the pressure is on the opposite side of the gears that get very little use.

I guess it's my many years of riding BMW motorcycles through the mountains and using engine braking rather than the brakes.

I notice you're right down the road from me where I have relatives. Know any Vaughns? I always buy used and I found my 08 400 in Telford. I went to Onancock, Va on the Eastern Shore to get my 650.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If I remember correctly, I worked with a Jim Vaughn at ETSU.

Who did you buy the 400 from? I know a couple them that where sold by friends of mine, Sherrill or Craig?

I spent some time in Marion at the state hospital (kidding).

This summer I ate lunch at an Italian restaurant on 16. Good food and a very reasonable price for a lunch buffet. If I am in the area around lunch, I will go back.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The point at which the 'freewheeling' occurs is common across the range and is the point where the clutch 'disengages'.

This whole issue is nothing more than a user one - adapting to a new transmission system that does not involve use of the left sided limbs.;)
There is some finesse involved in feathering the throttle to control deceleration and engine braking. It bothered me when I started riding. There were moments in a corner when it was unexpected and unwelcome, but after enough corners it is no longer an issue. You adapt and learn and manage the throttle without thinking about it. In the meantime, you're on a bike that excels in the corners.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I remember correctly, I worked with a Jim Vaughn at ETSU.

Who did you buy the 400 from? I know a couple them that where sold by friends of mine, Sherrill or Craig?

I spent some time in Marion at the state hospital (kidding).

This summer I ate lunch at an Italian restaurant on 16. Good food and a very reasonable price for a lunch buffet. If I am in the area around lunch, I will go back.
I bought mine from Craig. He sold it because he needed to have back surgery and his wife wouldn't let him sell her big Yamaha. Really nice fellow.

The Tuscan is a really good restaurant. I like their lamb Gyros.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The level of EB is not equal on every bike, there is individual variation between bikes, hence why some don't understand the negative comments.

I "fixed" my excessive (for me) EB on an '03 B650 by adjusting the TPS, which made a dramatic diffrerence, I'm not sure what other sensors/variables are involved, but I know the TPS is one factor.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I bought mine from Craig. He sold it because he needed to have back surgery and his wife wouldn't let him sell her big Yamaha. Really nice fellow.

The Tuscan is a really good restaurant. I like their lamb Gyros.
Craig has had a series of serious health problems lately.

I maybe in Marion to eat lunch at the Tuscan Thur or Fri. Are going to be around?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Kiwi Dave.
I had thought that Suzuki NZ were not importing any more AN 650 bikes, however it seems they actually are.
Great news indeed, thanks also for sharing the riding impressions of the 2013 model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts