Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a new member from Canada, just writhing to say hi. I just bought a 2008 Burgman 400 for a thousand bucks, good deal with only 21000 KLM and the bike looks like new. I hope it's as good as my Wings that I drive at the moment. I bought this bike because the Wings are big to buzz around and take more gas. Hope to learn the good and bad for this model on this site.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well congratulations. There's a lot to be said for the 400. It's not a GW, but then again they're no Burgman either. I think it will suit your needs perfectly. Sounds like you got a great deal.

This is my standard recommendation for riding the 400...

Depending on riding style, terrain and load, the clutch pads have a tendency to heat up and glaze after a while, 5k-20k miles. It's not a big deal and happens on most CVTs. The glaze just needs to be sanded off. The shops I've had it done at charge $40-90. If you're at all good with your own maintenance, its not too difficult to do yourself.

To help prevent glazing, try to blip the throttle on take-off to 4500 rpm, then adjust your speed accordingly. This maneuver will engage the clutch quickly and limit heat buildup. You can't avoid heating the clutch altogether, but this technique will lessen the severity and extend the time between deglazings.

The clutch glazing is probably the only real complaint with the bike. Erogs are often panned, particularly the seat and windshield, but those are a matter of personal choice and easily fixable with after market products.

Other than that its just fresh oil, filters, rubber and the tranny belt / rollers replacement. The engine is a stout and sturdy affair, don't be afraid to flog it. She'll get you to where you don't want to go any faster and a touch more. It's a reasonable beast on the highway. Takes a little getting used to, but you'll be able to keep up with your GW buddies should you want to try.

And I dare say, you will give your friends pause to think when they see it in the twisties. Not a lot of power, but the bike just wants to lay down and carve turns. It's got the CG of a pregnant snake and loves being thrown around a mountain side. About a third of the thickness of my center stand has been ground off doing this over the years.

welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome! I just picked up a good deal too, a 2006 with just under 600 miles for $2000. So far I am really liking my 400. I just calculated out my city MPG and it is 58.8, close enough to 60 to call it that IMHO!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts