Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am Steve from the UK.
I am knocking on a bit in years so decided to buy a scooter, as you do.

Bought a 2003 AN 400 yesterday with 22k mile on the clock. The bike looked great so I bought it.
My son drove it the 30 miles of highway back to my home. It drove great but when we parked up we could smell rotton eggs. Wasn't sure if it was comming from the bike or the environment.
Left it parked for a couple of hours then I decided to go for a ride on it. Battery was flat. Jumped it from my van and rode away just a bit p*ssed about the battery.
Ran great until it didn't.
Going up a hill a couple of miles from home when it missfired and lost power. Would only tick over.
I nursed/pushed it half way home and left it at someones house while I got my van and my son to recover it.
I realised from reading on forums that the rectifier was faulty and had cooked the battery.
I changed the rectifier, checked all the fuses in the main fuse box, also the 30a fuses on the starter solonoid because despite fitting another battery it still doesn't turn over on the start button.
I can make it turn over the engine by jumping across the starter solanoid conectors but still doesn't fir up.
Other symptoms include flashers flashing very fast and back light and brake light light not comming on.

I know this is a long post but I wanted to be as detailed as poss. Desparate to get out riding on it.
Yes the side stand is up and switch goes all the way in and no the kill switch isn't on.

Can anyone HELP please?

·
Registered
711 Posts
First thing to do is pull up any fault codes. Is the FI light on? May also have fried your stator so you will need to check all three phases are pushing out the correct voltage.
I have a workshop manual if you haven't got one. PM me your email and I will send you a link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply maccecht,

I haven't noticed any Fl light. It just reads odo. I will have a check tomorrow 8.20pm here now. But I did read somewhere that if you disconect the battery it wipes the ECU memory.
Since my last post I have fitted a new battery also whilst I was checking things noticed all the back lights had blown thats five bulbs!! Replaced them also.
So tomorrow I guess I'll be pulling more panels off and checking more components.
Thanks for the offer of the manual, I will PM you. I have signed up for a 'Haynes Manual' online. The books are very good but the online version is pretty confusing. Seems to jump all over the place.

Thanks again

·
Registered
711 Posts
Link to manual sent. Sounds like the Regulator failed in a manner that made the system go overvoltage.best get the multimeter out. There was a recall on some 400's for the rectifier not sure what years though. Search the recalls on google see what it brings up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update.
It would seem that my ecu isn't where everyone else's is. i.e. behind the headlamp. Mine is under the under-seat storage compartment.
So after checking the stator with a multimeter and figuring that was ok I started the mammoth task (for me) of stripping off the seat and backrest and grab handles and more plastic and finally the storage compartment to reveal the ecu and safety relay.
Checked the safety relay which seems to be faulty. When you apply 12v + and - to pins 3 and 4 you should get continuity across pins 1 and 2. I didn't have any.
Ordered the part. Hope that is all it was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SUCCESS :D
The part was delivered this morning. Clipped it in place, ignition on, pull brake, press starter and she fired straight up.
So I changed the oil, it was low and black, topped up the gear oil and I've been most of the day putting it all back together.
Did some very nervous test drives up the hill from home just in case it packed up again and I could freewheel back. Took my multi tester with me so I could stop now and again to see what voltage I had at the battery. All good so far.
So it has cost me £0 for a used rectifier which i took off an old piaggio 125 that I had in my garage (same part number)..
£40 for a new battery, £24 for a safty relay, and £26 for a complete set of bulbs.
I think the lesson for this story is to fit one of these. And if you ever smell rotton eggs and you didn't have boiled eggs for breakfast then it's probably a faulty rectifier cooking your battery. And in my case it blew the safety relay.

Thanks for your help maccetch

·
Registered
711 Posts
Always good to get a report back particularly a successful one. Well done for tracking it down

1 - 8 of 8 Posts