Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO! I just bought a new 2012 Burgman 400ABS (metallic thunder gray/glass sparkle black aka best color name ever), thought i'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. I got my Burgman yesterday, 1 miles on the odometer for $6,345 out the door (that includes all taxes, dealer fees), i'm guessing I got a good deal!?:cool:My local dealer that had a '13 in stock and laughed when I told them what the other guy was offering, saying they would jack the price up when I walked in the door... they didn't. So being as I saved a bit I did purchase the 5 year extended warranty.

I'm coming from my first scooter I bought 2 years ago, a Kymco Like 200i (the best thing that ever happened to me ((don't tell my girlfriend))) I had a hard time trying to decide on whether to keep both scooters as they both can serve a purpose, but my girlfriend also has a Genuine Buddy 125 and garage space is limited, so is insurance money. I ended up selling the Kymco to my Dad since he's been smitten with my scooter since I got it, he got a **** of a deal. Best part is I can still see her on the weekends and take her out.

Anywho, I got the Burgman because when I started working from home a year ago I sold my car, but now I realize it would be nice to have a freeway capable ride... from what I've read the 400 will do that just fine. So are there any tips on the 400 anyone can share? Especially on breaking her in? I'm an experienced home mechanic and plan on doing all the maintenance myself. Looking forward to joining this forum in addition to the others I frequent, Modern Buddy and Kymco Forum.

Here's the new ride! And the old one.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Same advice we give all 400 owners... Make sure to blip the throttle to 4500 rpm on take off, then moderate your speed. This engages the clutch quickly and will extend the life of the pads and prevent glazing.

So far as break in period... We all have different ideas. Personally I think you should follow the manufacturers instructions. Which, I think is keep it to 60 for the first 600 miles, get your first service, then add 10 mph every 200 or so miles. At 1k, ride it like you stole it.

Congratulations, you paid less than I did and I didn't get abs. Heck of a deal! And welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't offer any suggestions on breaking her in since I purchased mine used, but wanted to say congrats on your new Burgman and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I would say ride it fairly normal, no wide open throttle starts. Main thing is change the oil regularly and use a good quality oil or synthetic. Oh, welcome to BUSA, lots of good folks here and lots of info and DIY videos.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys. I think watching mcbergsma's maintenance videos on youtube helped me seal the deal when choosing the Burmgna 400, the 07 redesign really seems to make it maintenance friendly, which is what I like. With two days of rain in the forecast it's putting a dent in my break-in plans :mad:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hellooo, greetings from Enterprise, Al, not so far from you, know you will truly enjoy your scoot, hubby is talking with dealer in Mobile to get our new Breeze trike kit installed on his 2012 burgman executive 650, so he is selling his practically new tow pac kit, presently on his burgman. Hope you have fun and exciting ventures on your new bike, thanks for sharing, the bike looks great!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello, my name is stewart. I brought my 2009 650 3 years ago and everything was working fine until recently. I am having a problem with my headlights not coming on. I have changed the fuses and the bulbs. Everything else seems to working okay. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hellooo, greetings from Enterprise, Al, not so far from you, know you will truly enjoy your scoot, hubby is talking with dealer in Mobile to get our new Breeze trike kit installed on his 2012 burgman executive 650, so he is selling his practically new tow pac kit, presently on his burgman. Hope you have fun and exciting ventures on your new bike, thanks for sharing, the bike looks great!!
Thanks! All these flat lands in lower Alabama are getting on my nerves, I just moved from Birmingham last year and I'm really missing the twistys and mountains up there. The short trips to the beach do kind of make up for it though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
welcome to the forum, enjoy your new ride, ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks! All these flat lands in lower Alabama are getting on my nerves, I just moved from Birmingham last year and I'm really missing the twistys and mountains up there. The short trips to the beach do kind of make up for it though.
Ooo, then come out to CA some time. Beach and twisties right next to eachother, all up and down the coast. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooo, then come out to CA some time. Beach and twisties right next to eachother, all up and down the coast. :D
I'd love to, the trick is convincing the GF to do the same. Now that I have a capable ride, a cross country trip is SO in my future.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you're trying to convince the GF to ride cross-country with you, you should start with some smaller trips. You live in Mobile - try riding the Natchez Trace. It's a beautiful couple of days. Or if you're looking for a day trip, try Panama City or even Apalachicola. The latter is a fishing village and you get to ride right along the coast in order to get there - it's a real adventure. Stop at the riverside when you get there and stay at one of those inns with the attached restaurant. Fabulous seafood fresh off the dock just outside.

If she has fun on those, she'll be a lot less weirded out by the thought of going cross country.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're trying to convince the GF to ride cross-country with you, you should start with some smaller trips. You live in Mobile - try riding the Natchez Trace. It's a beautiful couple of days. Or if you're looking for a day trip, try Panama City or even Apalachicola. The latter is a fishing village and you get to ride right along the coast in order to get there - it's a real adventure. Stop at the riverside when you get there and stay at one of those inns with the attached restaurant. Fabulous seafood fresh off the dock just outside.

If she has fun on those, she'll be a lot less weirded out by the thought of going cross country.
Oh no. The convincing part is I work from home, she commutes. I can relocate anywhere she'd have to quite her job. About Apalachicola, we vacation every September for her birthday on St. George Island, we're very familiar with the area. This year I will be taking the Burgman, and she'll probably bring the car with a few other folks carpooling. Boss Oyster can't come soon enough!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts