Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I recently purchased a 2014 Burgman 400, after a few months of watching Craigslist. What a great machine! It is my sixth scooter. I am having fun with doing some maintenance-related things. Example: The clutch had an awful slide/bump feel. I took it apart, cleaned it out, put a crosshatch finish on the bell (by hand) and scuffed the pads a little- It is now perfect, completely smooth. I was surprised to find a 5-shoe factory clutch, unlike the 3 shoe ones I see on some Youtube videos. If there is anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that would like to meet up for a ride, pls message me. I'm also quite mechanical (retired auto mechanic) and would be happy to help where I can.

God Bless!
DD

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,020 Posts
@Deeble Deed
Welcome to the forum sir.
You are in the right place for sharing info on the Burgman. I haven't ridden a 400 but have a few friends with those and all echo your words. We all appreciate the offer of help. This forum is a great place to go for help or to offer help to others. What types of riding are you used to? Where are you from? Please feel free to share your experieces and thoughts about your new to you scooter.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Welcome! I was intimidated at first, with my 400's innards, but can open up the CVT case and close it in less than an hour now :) A little cleaning and scuffing help a lot!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Welcome. The 3-shoe clutches were prior to 2008 I believe. Did you do the crosshatch on the clutch bell with sandpaper? I've used fine paper on clutch bells, but just in the direction of travel. Also, it's good to use a flat block to back the sandpaper when scuffing the shoes so they stay perfectly flat cross-wise.

Taking off from a stop briskly seems to help prevent glazing of the clutch. If and when you notice the jerkiness or judder starting to come back, many times you can help it by holding the brake and revving it briefly. Don't go crazy, just a couple seconds is usually enough to smooth it out again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts