23,315 Posts
Where the heck ya been???

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,712 Posts
Welcome here @Fatboymatt
I sometimes ride with a CTX1300 owner who lives in Hopkinton just north of you.
We usually meet up at the end of February for a Ride To Eat with other riders as far away as MN, MO, WI, IL at Scooters Bar & Grill just outside of Anamosa. Most of those guys drive a car but I always ride my bike when I can attend.
I used to live in Dubuque just up the road from you.

Reactions: Fatboymatt

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
there's a thing you do in case you lock your keys in the trunk or the cable breaks so you can get into the trunk effortlessly do a search on trunk release seat release , there are a couple methods to do it one involves no tupperware removal.

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
FatBoy, it has to do with water rotting the trunk release cable and it snapping. All the keys in the world will not open the trunk.

Do you always carry both keys?

• Helpful
Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
843 Posts
I’ve never done this “emergency seat release modification “, even though I’ve read it here at least 100 times over , as the most important thing. Is it really that urgent? If you store your bike out of the rain like I do, and take care of it, ( I try to avoid riding in the rain) , is this cable more apt to fail than any other cable on the bike, or another part on the bike? If it was to fail, wouldn’t it have a 50% chance of happening at home, making it not such an emergency? Not trying to start anything, but I’m trying to figure out why this is such a huge deal. Feel like maybe I’m missing out on something

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,712 Posts
The routing of the seat latch release cable makes it prone to collect water in the middle of the path it takes. It runs from the ignition switch down to the frame on one side of the step through, then back up to the seat latch. That middle part where it is down is where the water collects. Water will get into the cable. It's just a matter of time before it rusts enough to snap right in the middle. If your Burgman is new then you have many years before you have to worry about it. If older, then just wait... it will happen.
Do a search for "emergency seat release" and you'll find the threads on the subject.

And that cable doesn't have to break for this mod to be a benefit. It also allows you to unlatch the seat without using a key if desired. Once in a while that is a handy option.

I even added this mod to my AK 550. It has 2 latches holding the seat down and absolutely no way to get to them like is somewhat possible on the Burgman 400 and 650. They operate by a solenoid located right next to one of the latches on the front of the seat (my hinge is at the back of the seat). I'd have to remove the gas tank cover to get to that and the only way to do that is to open the seat. There is also a cable from the ignition switch but cable but it's a lot more difficult to get to than on a Burgman. So this mod is even more important for my current bike. All electric ignition switch. A dead battery would normally be enough to prevent opening the seat without this mod.

• Helpful
Reactions: SemBurg

·
Registered
843 Posts
With this being so common on the burgman, I would imagine Suzuki was aware of it. I wonder if later bikes like mine , switched to a stainless cable. It would be crappy, if they didn’t upgrade the material, with so many failures

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
going from warm to cold etc causes condensation to form and cables wick tiny beads of moisture into small places, bends/ curves in cables cause the cable to rub against the casing, not all will fail not everyone will accidentally lock their keys in, no one says it is required, it's a choice, and i try to make people aware of the option

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
With this being so common on the burgman, I would imagine Suzuki was aware of it. I wonder if later bikes like mine , switched to a stainless cable. It would be crappy, if they didn’t upgrade the material, with so many failures
Again, someone thinks Suzuki cares? Spend 400 Japanese Yen more for a Stainless cable, per bike? Times how many Burgmans made?

Yes I rode in all weather so I may have gotten water up on the igniting switch area where the cable is attached. Mine did rust and rotted at the low point on my 2008. Worked fine one day and then when I got home with my company work computer and cell phone in trunk, put key in ignition, pushed in and turned right and got a POP. No resistance on the key and trunk would not open.

I took my maintenance cover off, found the two cables going back and pulled the smaller one. It sounded gritty inside so I cut it with lineman pliers. Went back 10 inches and cut the sheath slowly not to cut the inside stranded cable. Pulled the cable and my trunk opened.

Do this if you want.

If you do not, do not. Simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FatBoy, it has to do with water rotting the trunk release cable and it snapping. All the keys in the world will not open the trunk.

Dave J,

Dave J, No I do not need to. Sounds like simple maintenance to lube/ or spray silicon in that area. I have always done mine a couple times a year and have had now problems. There are several areas on the scooters/ motorcycles that need attention that should be checked periodically.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts