Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I discovered the forum just last week and joined only yesterday.

I've been riding only since Feb. '05. Went down for my learner's permit while waiting for delivery of my first scooter, a Yamaha Vino 125 '05. My husband and I had been joking about getting a scooter for a couple of years (can't even remember who or what started it now), and finally decided to check it out. We were thinking of a little 50cc Vespa for me to putter around on, but a sportbike rider here at work showed me some other scooters on Web sites and changed my mind.

I took the beginning MSF course in early March. By then, my husband had bought a Yamaha Majesty '05 from the same dealer, and we were both licensed and riding together soon after. After I was nearly run over by an aggressive cager who didn't think I needed an entire lane while we were all stopped in traffic, my husband began working on me to get a bigger scoot. I loved my rose-burgundy Vino and felt pretty good riding it, so I was reluctant, and used the excuse that the Majesty or Burgman "didn't come in red." I stopped by the dealer for something or other and gave him the same line, but their Burgman 400 Type S had just arrived, and he took me out and pointed out how red it is. My first thought was "It's huge!" But I liked its sporty looks, and... it's RED. And yes, I admit that the thought of being able to go over 50 mph up a slight hill and thus anywhere I wanted to go did have its appeal.

I rode my husband's Majesty in a parking lot on the weekend to make sure I could handle a bigger machine (very concerned about being able to pick up the bike by myself if necessary), and finally went in to test-drive the Burgie. I liked how it felt, although going over a very low speed bump at low speed did cause it to scrape a bit. I really liked the lower seat; even on my Vino, I had to stretch to put both feet on the ground (I'm 5'5"). I took another day to decide and then turned in my Vino on a slightly rainy day. I rode the Burgie back to work, occasionally wiping off the rain from my visor with my glove, and then on home at the end of the day. The next day, Friday, was very rainy, and my husband talked me out of riding it. Saturday we decided to go on a nice ride together around Lake Sammamish, which is just about 4 blocks east of home. I had about 12 miles on the Burgie...

Made it down to West Lake Sammamish Blvd, stopped at the sign to make my left turn onto the street. There was a lot of traffic (about 10:45 a.m.), and I had to wait for a few cars to go by after my husband made his turn. I started off, but noticed I was going a little wide. No problem; I simply leaned the bike over to recover the turn as I had so many times on my little Vino. That's when I hit the patch of mud covered in pine needles.

It's pretty exciting to lose traction while leaning over and accelerating. By the time I'd figured out what was going on, I'd gone over the lip of pavement and was sliding through a patch of ivy and more mud/pine needles/trash. As we started to go downhill, I fell off the Burgie (from viewing the scene later, I think I was knocked off by a smallish pine branch that hung about waist-high). Relieved of my weight, the Burgie spun around in a 180 and slammed backward into a small tree. The headlights were still on, but I can't remember if the engine was still running; I jumped up and turned off the ignition, thankful that I was wearing a jacket and pants with body armor along with my FF helmet. I ended up with a bruised shoulder, probably from landing on the shoulder armor, but my bike was pretty thrashed. Cracks through the body work, taillight completely out, various other scrapes and torture that I could barely stand to look at. Because the hill it went down was at such a steep angle, even with the help of a passerby we couldn't get the bike back up to the road, so I had to wait over an hour for a special truck to winch it up.

Then the fun began. We had insured it the day we bought it (thank goodness) with Progressive, and they were great. Even though I didn't feel "hurt," they finally persuaded me to see my doc, which they paid for. The sore shoulder lasted only a week or so. The rep went down to our dealer to view the damage and determine what to do. The dealers thought it was totalled, and reassured me that they had another one in a crate in their warehouse, ready to hand over to me.

But... the Type S is so new that Suzuki didn't have all the part numbers in its database. It took nearly two weeks to determine all the part prices so that Progressive could figure out whether the bike was totalled or not. Turned out it was just short of totalled. Would have been easier if it had been, but then I would have felt bad about trashing that magnificent new bike. Out of 20-some odd parts that it needed to be reborn, at least 10 of them weren't even available in this country yet.

They're due in June 5th, and the service guys have promised that as soon as all the parts get in, it will take only a day to put it back together. So I've been grounded since April 2nd. I did take my husband's Majesty out once around the neighborhood (get back on the horse), but he's since traded it in for a Suzuki C50 cruiser (a"real" motorcycle), which I'm not interested in learning how to ride.

Anyway, sometimes it feels like a dream that I ever started riding at all. I'm not quite back at square one, but pretty darned close, so I'll be taking it easy getting my skills back. At least most everybody from the dealer to the insurance company seemed to think I'd made a pretty common mistake, although I still feel pretty damned stupid. "Were you going too fast?" my sportbike rider friend asked. "Well, not if that mud hadn't been there..." I take full responsibility for not seeing the mud. I'm really glad I took the MSF course, though. If I hadn't, I might have panicked and hit the brakes, in which case the Burgie and I probably would have ended up in the middle of the street and been run over. Or something like that.

Anyway, I'd like to thank Stargazer for posting his excellent photos of the Type S. I've been looking at the side-on manufacturer photo, and it just doesn't do the bike justice. My spirits rose immensely to view the machine from different angles and remember just how RED it really is.

Oh, and although I usually don't name inanimate objects, I think my bike has earned this one: The Phoenix, for it shall rise from the ashes and be new again.

One thing, though, that bothers me. When we still thought the bike would be totalled, the sales guy said something to the effect that I wouldn't want a bike that had been through such a trauma anyway. They've had to take it pretty much apart, and I like and trust those guys (in the service dept.), so I'd like to believe that they really can make it right again. Any thoughts?

Patty
'05 Burgman 400 Type S

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to Burgman USA Patty!! Hate to hear about your unfortunate mishap, but glad to hear you are ok. I'm sure your Burger will be back on the road before you know it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I'm really sorry to hear about the accident. Glad that you are okay though.
I have yet to see a type s in person. Hope they get the parts soon and fix your scoot quickly.

Tell your hubby to visit volusiariders.com. they have lots of info on the voluisa and the c50.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall. From your description that could have happened to just about anyone. I can't answer your question with any certainty but it sounds to me from what you posted like most of the damage was superficial (bodywork vs. frame/engine damage) and I do not think you should see problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mostly bodywork

Thanks for the encouragement! I do need a new back wheel ($410!), but it is mostly bodywork that suffered.

Except for the right turn signal, the rest of the front end doesn't have a scratch on it. The windshield and mirrors were completely unscathed. I'm glad I wasn't on it when it slammed backward into that tree though... I'm thinking spinal damage on that one, considering how the force broke the fairing side completely through.

Also good thing that tree was there to stop the bike. Without it, the Burgie would have pitched over the edge of a three-foot high concrete wall and smashed onto a private drive beneath. That might have totalled it!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Patty - well I sure do not want to read anymore stories like that again (from you). :cry:
Welcome to the Forum by the way, and I am sorry to hear of your wee bump! :wink:
Do not worry about your machine, your insurers have a legal responsibility to ensure it is returned to you 100% roadworthy and they will check it 105% I am sure!
June 5 is not too far off!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow, what an introduction. I was on pins and needles reading your story. Like NormanB said, the Burgman will be repaired so that you can enjoy it again. I'm just happy that you weren't more seriously hurt so that you're able to enjoy it again :).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ya know, y'all are gettin' me worried with all these crash stories! Patty, Waisons, and a couple others that I've forgotten. Thankfully, the injuries don't seem to have been very serious, so that's a very good thing. Makes me leery of going to pick up my new '05 650 this week though, especially with that touchy throttle!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Patty and welcome to the forum. It is really too bad of your untimely misfortune. Your Type S will be as good as new shortly. Keep your spirits up and keep us informed of the progress.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
V/good description, and I am sorry about your misfortunate incident. Thank goodness your OK. Thank goodness for a good insurance company.

Godspeed, and like Norm said, June's right around the corner!

I think the 400S ROCKS and you made a GREAT choice.

Hang in there!

Best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Patty. Glad to have you join us. That's one heck of a first post. :shock: Glad your ok and I understand very well the "being grounded" part. You'll just have to do the same thing I did and 'ride vicariously' thru the posts here on the forums until you get your steed back.

·
Registered
969 Posts
From another 'vicarious rider', I feel your pain. It'll be awhile before I can get back on a bike - Momma says my back has to heal completely. I'll give her that one, but it's real hard staying off the DR.

Good to have you aboard, though. Looking forward to more encouraging posts! 8)

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome and sorry about your misfortune, could happen to anyone. I am just a few miles south of you near Cougar Mountain so see you on the road soon!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hi, Patty. Welcome to the ICOBO. :hello2:

Sorry to hear about your spill, but glad you made it through relativiely unscathed.

I wouldn't worry about the bike not being repaired properly. Considering the price of the "Tupperware," I suspect the damage was mostly to the "skin" and not to the "bones." Had it been worse than superficial damage I think Progressive would have called it a total loss.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome! I am glad you are ok. I agree that the damage had to be mostly plastic. I bought a wrecked Burgman and am putting it back together. You can see it here: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Scubagirls-Burgman

I was very impressed with the frame and the "guts". It took a serious beating and started up immediately after the battery was charged.

I think your "S" will be good as new!

Dee

·
Registered
719 Posts
Patty,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that your beautiful red 400 Type S slid on the road trash, and sent you down the embankment. The good thing is that you are o.k., and that you've already been back on the Majesty. I think that the service department will fix your ride just fine. Before I got my scooter, I was in a similar situation on my motorcycle, and it returned from the shop looking and working like it never missed a beat.

Riding the scooter really takes concentration. I'm on mine over 1000 miles a month, and still, almost every time I take off, I tell myself, "Be careful." Sometimes, when I'm following my buddies down the road, I'm thinking to them, "Hey, be careful!"

You are going to be a good rider, and the point of view this incident has given you will benefit you at some time.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Well put Russ.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well affirmed, Pete. :wink:

A healthy bit of fear and trepidation is a good thing when you're on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well endorsed, Dean. :p

Steve

Now by all means, Gear up!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts