Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for letting me join..

Currently I have a 97 Guzzi California, an old Guzzi T3 and a Honda ST 1300 Pan European which I have used for touring most of Europe.

At the beginning of the year I had a knee replacement and since, have found it difficult to get my leg over the seat on the Honda.

A throw away remark by one of my friends about how capable Maxi scooters are got me thinking about buying a Honda Silverwing as it would certainly address the issue concerning my new knee..

My son then mentioned that his neighbour had a 2007 Burgman 400 K7 under a cover next to his house and had given up motorcycling about 18 months previously. He had owned it from new and had done 25k miles.

We made contact with him and on viewing it, the bodywork was very good but the brakes needed a complete overhaul as they were sticking. It had had new OEM belt , rollers and clutch about 1k miles before it was laid up.

拢400 changed hands and it's been in my garage for a few days now . All plastics have been removed from the rear of the bike including seat and storage box so as to remove some frame rust and make sure that it is treated and protected..

I'll be starting on the brakes soon but checking ebay it looks like new front Calipers of Chinese origin can be had for about 拢80 a pair.

The jury is out as to whether to attempt to overhaul the existing 13 year old calipers ( if I can get a full overhaul kit including pistons ) or give the aftermarket ones a try.

It's only the brakes we're talking about here so what could possibly go wrong馃槀

Registered
Welcome. Sounds like you got a good deal for 400 pounds. I myself would be wary of Chinese calipers but they may be just as good as OEM. Not much to calipers besides the pistons and seals. If everything is rusted up and pitted it may be best to go with the aftermarket. I'm really happy with my 400 and it has been a good fit for me at this phase of my life.

Reactions: DarrylUK

Premium Member
It's only the brakes we're talking about here so what could possibly go wrong馃槀
Sure, you can always just drag your feet :D

Reactions: DarrylUK

Registered
Sure, you can always just drag your feet :D
I did that years ago on one of those three-wheelers...the rear wheels tried to roll up the backs of my legs.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

Registered
Welcome Daryl fine bunch of chaps on here. As for your calipers pistons should be fine nowt that a clean up wont sort and for new spares I would recommend Robinsons Foundry Canterbury Kent for all things Suzuki excellent people and good mail order service

Registered
Hi mate,

I鈥檇 just pull your callipers apart. I found that if you remove the seals carefully with a pick and scrape away the corrosion from behind them that is forcing the seal on to the piston you should be OK. Re assemble with red rubber grease specifically. Better with refurbed OEM parts IMO. Did this on my crusty 2003 650 and all good.

Registered
Welcome Darryl, hope your knee is improving and you get to enjoy your Burgman. I also ride an 07 Burgman and am a little East of you in Canada,lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Brendan, yes the knee is getting better.馃榿

Burger, yes I think a refurb is the way that I will be going with it.

I've got the rear caliper stripped down and have a new piston and seals en route. 馃憤

1 - 13 of 13 Posts