Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New member and 400 Owner

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  speedandstyle 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the site and to the Burgman so I just thought I would share my initial thoughts so anyone who is considering a Burgman can have a little insight into why I purchased one. . I just bought a left over 400 to replace a HD Road King that was becoming just a bit too much bike for me with some back/knee/and left hand (clutch) issues. I’ve been riding for 30 years-everything from a Honda Z50 to full dress touring rigs. I have to say the Burgman caught my eye years ago for its practicality but I was hesitant to pull the trigger because I was a HD devotee for years (and yes because it is a scooter). However, as previously stated, some subtle physical limitations finally prompted me to go ahead with the Burgman. At 6’2 200 lbs., I was concerned the 400 may be too small, but thanks to reviewing countless reviews on this site and others, I concluded the 400 would be fine for my style of riding (mostly commuting with some limited 2-up expressway). I was right! Now after removing the muffler, getting aftermarket 16” 1.25 inch ape hanger handlebars/cable extensions/ and leather fringe trim for the floor boards, I’m in business and loving the bike! It sounds great and people really look at me coming!.....Hey, only kidding!!! I did not make those mods (although I told the wife I would-ha ha). The only changes I made was a Yoshimura exhaust (WITH the low volume insert) , a Laminar Lip windshield deflector (although I may get the Givi shield because I ride all year and it gets cold here in southeastern PA) and added a Givi top box which is great. The scoot handles great and is a pleasure to ride. Storage is more than I could ask for. The suspension is surprisingly compliant. The exhaust sounds great with the insert but was louder without the insert than the Harley. I really like having the instrumentation in front of me so I don’t have to take my eyes off the road. The only issue I have is occasional stalling at idle or when coming off the throttle-not good. I assume the bike sat a bit at the dealer with fuel in the tank, so I added some StarTron fuel stabilizer to see if that clears up the problem. Otherwise, I am really happy with the scoot and wish I had made the move sooner. This site has been very helpful with my research of the Burgman and ultimate decision to join the Burgman family. CHEERS

See less See more
#2 ·
...Now after removing the muffler, getting aftermarket 16” 1.25 inch ape hanger handlebars/cable extensions/ and leather fringe trim for the floor boards, I’m in business and loving the bike! It sounds great and people really look at me coming!.....Hey, only kidding!
LOL

welcome to the forum! from time to time HD riders come down here and ask questions about the Burgman, so feel free to pass along you insight!

#4 · (Edited)
Funny, I've been teasing one of my older MC riding friends that a scooter is in his future. One day the joints, back, knees or what have you isn't going to work the way it use to and a scooter will be his only option. And when he does, he'll say he should have done it sooner.

He always writes back, "Never, not going to happen" he'll never ride a scooter, etc, etc. I told him I've read the same story a hundred times on the board.

I sent him your story and said "Make that 101". Lol. Thanks for providing me some fodder. :D

Good to have you here. And welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

#5 ·
... Now after removing the muffler, getting aftermarket 16” 1.25 inch ape hanger handlebars/cable extensions/ and leather fringe trim for the floor boards, I’m in business and loving the bike! It sounds great and people really look at me coming!.....Hey, only kidding!!! I did not make those mods (although I told the wife I would-ha ha). ...
Haha. I saw it coming. :) Actually you will have to remove that muffler occasionally; that's one of the steps to change the rear tire.

Congratulations on your choice, I hope it keeps you riding comfortably for years to come.

#8 ·
Thanks you all for the warm welcome. The scoot is a 2013-a new left-over. It sat on the dealership floor for a while so I'm assuming and hoping it may be just an "old gas" issue. Seems to stall when at idle, but only occasionally. After starting it yesterday, the scoot stalled just when I applied the throttle to get moving. It did it twice in a row. After riding for 1/2 hour (and an 1.5 hr shutdown while I was at the gym), it did not do it again. I should note I added the StarTron the evening before this latest event, so it may have worked its way through the system. I'll let you know what happens today. Even when warm, the idle seems to hang around 1500 RPM but drops occasionally to 1200-1250 before going up again. I may swing by the dealer this weekend to see what they have to say. Otherwise, I love this thing! Great handling and storage-especially around town.

#9 ·
Welcome from the desert around Palm Springs Ca.

#11 ·
FYI...just got back from a ride and it STILL stalled 4 times on me within 20 miles. Fortunately, I purposely rode in the neighborhood with little traffic to see if I could induce the stall. Definitiely stalls when coming off from idle (not just a closed throttle) but does it very intermittently. Read some things about resetting the ECM so I went with the battery disconnect for 30 minutes; always allow the ignition/fuel circuit to cycle before starting, etc. Being a safety issue, I'm back to the dealer on Saturday. The idle does seem to occasionally drop to 1200 so maybe the problem lies therein. I'm old school with carbs so this ECM stuff is left up to the dealers. I'll keep you advised but I'm thinking it may be a little more than bad fuel. Once this is resolved, I think this is the best ride I ever owned as far as practicality and basic fun goes.

#12 ·
When you say the idle drops from 1500 to 1200 do you mean while sitting there? Sometimes my idle will be a little low especially when coming to a stop after a brisk run but it speeds up to the 1400 I have it set at after a few seconds{maybe 10 at the most}. Idle speed should never drop while just sitting.

For sure a brand new bike should not be stalling. If it is under warranty, take it to the dealer.

#14 ·
That could be the fuel injector, partial clog or not firing correctly. It could also be a bad O2 sensor sending erratic signals to the ECU. Of coarse it could be a simple as a loose connection someplace. Explain exactly what it is doing to the dealer/mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.