Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love it so far. Got a deal of a price, $5699 OTD. Spent 25 mi in the rain for its first ride, as well as ~50mph gusts when it was dry. Decent stability for such high winds.

The rain protection was very good. Pants, feet, torso, gloves were dry or pretty dry. Wind protection to the head could be better. I'm 5'8" and the wind seems to hit right at the helmet, so pretty noisy. Ducking down a few inches gets you right into the bubble, and is much quieter.

Not sure how accurate the speedo is yet, but boy does this thing pick up speed fast for a scooter. The CVT is still playing mind games with me. I'm coming off a Yamaha R1, so this is quite a change.

I don't like the idea of these being so heavy. I see it has a center stand. Do people really use those, if so, for what specific conditions? Would it be foolish to remove? I'm kinda of a minimalist when it comes to these things.
At a quick glance, i don't see a 12v outlet, so that is my first mod.
I don't see too many Maj400 owners on this board. Is there a larger board for us?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I looked the majesty over real well before deciding to get my Suzuki burgman 650. I thought the windscreen was too low, but I'm 6'1". There are (or should be) aftermarket taller screens available.

It does have pretty good pickup. I thought it was a little sluggish getting started, but once it's got some rpms it picks right up.

Speedos on many scooters are off/over by from 5 to 10%. The only way you'll know for sure is to find some way (GPS, local RADAR sign, bike speedo) to compare it to. Look in my gallery linked below at the Schwinn bike speedo I put on my 650. Cheap, and easy to install.

I use my center stand when parking in my garage. The 650 takes up less space between my cars on it. I use it when parking with other motorcycles if the space is tight. I use it when filling with gas, thinking I'll get a little more in the tank if the bike is straight up. I use it if parking on asphalt on a hot day.

Dave B.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot. I have the direct competitor, the Burgman 400, but I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

I use the centerstand when filling up, checking or changing the oil, or parking in certain situations where the sidestand simply isn't advisable.

As far as a dedicated board, there are quite a few folks that hang out here that own other machines besides Burgmans.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Ditto - And, just for the record, I think it has a better name than ours! :wink: Plus - it's pretty goldarn racy lookin - if ya ask me!

I bought mine on a day that it was raining. Talk about a wierd/fun ride home (~50miles!) I was happy that upon arrival at la casa, I was relatively dry and comfy. :)

Majesty's are cool. :thumbright:

Congatz!

ps - this is the best maxiscoot board around. let us know about your experiences even if you migrate elsewhere!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Congrats on your new scooter,
I lake the looks of the Maj400..
As far as the center stand goes, aside from parking--it's nice to have when doing any routine maintenance or service work. on the bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rensho,

Great choice!!! I love mine. Can't ride it enough. There is no Majesty forum that I am aware of. This forum gives me all I need! I use the center stand in my garage, when filling up and even when parking in the street. I just feel that the bike might tip over the other way from it's side stand if someone bumps her. I recommend that you keep yours. The added weight helps with those strong wind blasts from the side. The bike is very stable at all speeds.

It's nice to see more Maj owners. No matter what brand, these machines are probable the greatest two-wheeled vehicles ever invented. I just can't wait for Motorcycle manufacturers to start making traditional sport bikes/cruisers with auto tranny's. It just has to happen.

Take care and enjoy your ride. Be safe.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I thought it did have a 12 V outlet. Check you manual because I seem to remember it did. Maybe under the seat??? Leave the centre stand on. Once you remove it you'll find you need it. Changing the rear tire, checking the engine oil, parking it in a tight spot...if you want to minimize don't put on a 'Tot" box and rack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind welcomes everyone.

Spent some time going over it with the manual today due to rain.

I see that many of the maint items are needing the center stand. So that is my answer I guess, thanks everyone.

I don't see any 12v on it, nor did i remember seeing mention in the manual.
Thinking about wiring a 12v in the trunk, and another one in the glovebox.

Moved the seat fwd 1" as it was all the way back. Feels a bit better sitting on it. Need to try it on a ride.

Adjusted the throttle cable slop as well. I don't like much slop there.

Disappointed the shocks are not adjustable. I did notice the hwy seams were easily felt through the scooter.

On the speedo, i'll have to hook up the Garmin2610 and go for a ride.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Rensho and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Majesty! I bet thats quite a jump from an R1 to the Maj. Well at least you don't need the backpack thingy any more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, i miss the acceleration of the R1 and the direct connect of the throttle to the rear wheel. Oh well.

Thanks for the tip on the Yahoo board. There are 7, very stoked, people on that board. They should just come here.

The Maj400 is great. Got another 20mi in today just running errands and it feels wonderful. So comfy, relaxing, and carefree.

The headlights on this thing are very bright. Two full 55w bulbs on at all times. Highs are 60w.

The seat position is now much better. The throttle cable slack removal helped give a nice feel to the throttle.

A taller windscreen would be nice. I don't have to have one right now, but will keep an eye out. That laminar lip looks interesting.

The seat is a touch wide and tall for me. I can touch the ground, but not flat footed. I'll looking into shaving the seat.
I can see that the pillion seat is a tad wide, as well as the body there. Not sure how comfy/uncomfy that is going to be for someone.

TBD mods:
12v outlets
Garmin 2610 mounting
Stereo? Or atleast an amp and speakers to play MP3s
Valentine V1 mounting
Headlight Modulator?
The ultimate mod: How to mount my mt. bike on this thing! Any ideas or pics people have seen they can pass along?

Gas is $2.70 for reg where i am, so i'm quite happy with my purchase/trade. Tomorrow is the first commute to work, ~37mi RT. Yeah! No more griping about my 21mpg SUV for the commute.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the Laminor lip on my Burgman 400 and find it acceptable in all but the hardest wind.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, i'll be the ultimate geek with that...

Yes, something along those lines. I didn't see an execution i liked, but those are some very good ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see that Rubble is on a strange wavelength today. I, like the next guy, always enjoy a good execution. ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Wavelengths are interesting.
Sine Cosine an alla that rot.
:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had my first fill up today. 54.5mpg with mixed riding, I'd say 75/25 hwy/city.
Found 1 use for the center stand you folks mentioned. I was able to put an additional 0.3gal after putting it on the stand. Thanks for the tip.
I just love it so far.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All thoughts of making a mistake by selling the Yamaha R1 for a Maj400 have disappeared. While both make me smile when i ride them, I'm finding that i really like owning the Maj400. The comfort, trunk, ease of riding are just tops.
I go 50 more miles per tank than my R1, which was already great.
2nd fill up yields 58.6mpg.

I'm starting to feel the handling of the Maj400 and it is faily quick. I'm not pushing it or anything, just getting more miles and use to it. I'm finding the same on ramp Ssss are comfortable at the same speed as my R1. The lower center of gravity is really appreciated, and makes a huge difference. The Maj400 never feels top heavy, and i can handle it or push it around with ease.

I haven't found a single thing wrong with it. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Grats on your Madge!
I find myself smiling almost all the time while riding my 400.
I nicknamed her S'Merc because that's what I seem to be doing quite a bit of recently. Kind of a masculine name for a she but she's kind of masculine for a scooter!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts