Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Burgman 400
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A new law will take effect this coming Saturday Sept. 24th. It's called lane filtering, you can "filter" through lanes when cars are stopped and the speed limit is below 45mph.

Doubt if I'll be doing it, seems risky and might encourage road rage. Drivers are a little nuts around here in the Phoenix area.

I remember when I was over in Spain many moons ago and all the mopeds and scooters would filter through the crazy traffic to the front at stop lights. Traffic was nuts there too, it's a wonder there weren't more wrecks.

Arizona Passes Lane Filtering Law | Rider Magazine

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
A new law will take effect this coming Saturday Sept. 24th. It's called lane filtering, you can "filter" through lanes when cars are stopped and the speed limit is below 45mph.

Doubt if I'll be doing it, seems risky and might encourage road rage. Drivers are a little nuts around here in the Phoenix area.

I remember when I was over in Spain many moons ago and all the mopeds and scooters would filter through the crazy traffic to the front at stop lights. Traffic was nuts there too, it's a wonder there weren't more wrecks.

I was some doing some touring this past May -- two-up with my wife, a week in the Tuscany area and a week in the Vienna area -- and it was certainly nice to do this sort of thing at stop lights.

I think the major factors that make this work in Europe (and other continents) are:
  • A large percentage of the driving population started out on scooters, so the drivers have "been there, done that."
  • A large percentage of drivers still own bikes as second vehicles.
  • There doesn't seem to be this self-centered ego-trip type of mentality among drivers that would lead to road rage.
But here in the USA, yeah, unless the driving population is accustomed to this sort of thing -- and, yep, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem -- then I would be hesitant, too, like you.

·
Super Moderator
15,719 Posts
I think at stops is a good place to start. Good on AZ though. Around here the nanny staters don't even let it come to a vote.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

You do that here; you'll surely be dodging some lead. I am an aggressive spirited rider, but I value my life.
I trust me & don't trust the crazies. No for me, never.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It’s standard practice here but some drivers still resent it as “pushing in“ or even think it’s illegal.
But becoming more accepted.
Specially in and near cities. I'm finding fewer obstructive drivers than there used to be. And more are tending to pull to the left, allowing me past. (Those that actually see me coming).
I don't even consider filtering once traffic is moving at 20mph +, just go with the flow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Back in the 60's it felt natural to filter threw all the stop lights in Syracuse...

...with no helmet.

I had an after school job downtown and filtering saved a lot of time with my Honda 90. The 90 was fast enough off the line to jump out of the way and claim my lane.

I would never do that now.

·
Registered
2012 Burgman 400
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back in the 60's it felt natural to filter threw all the stop lights in Syracuse...

...with no helmet.

I had an after school job downtown and filtering saved a lot of time with my Honda 90. The 90 was fast enough off the line to jump out of the way and claim my lane.

I would never do that now.
That would be the problem...you jump out and claim your lane and you'll have some ragin' A-hole in a lifted truck on your butt, no matter how fast you go... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,156 Posts
Yeah, here in Georgia, especially Atlanta, you'd regret it really quick. It's cool though that it's accepted in some places.

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
How is it political when we didn’t vote ? It was brought to my attention by multiple LEOs.

Edit …. I do believe in Fair and Speedy Trials.
If that's a non-rhetorical question, I meant it was "political" in the sense that, as far as I can tell: 1) it involves legislation, and; 2) it has nothing to do with motorcycles, per se.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Ok…the Filtering Law went thru legislation
and will affect motorcyclists.

The Safe-T Act went thru legislation
and will certainly affect a good or a bad motorcyclist.

I hope we are closer to an agreement on that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts