Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got a new key with a transponder off the internet for my 2009 650. This will be my spare key.
Is there a way I can programme it to my bike or do I need to get a professional to do it?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have just got a new key with a transponder off the internet for my 2009 650. This will be my spare key.
Is there a way I can programme it to my bike or do I need to get a professional to do it?
They aren't transponders which match the key to the ignition lock but, three magnets placed in the head of the key. The pattern they are in and, the direction of their poles must match that of the bike. These can be arranged as needed. There are threads on the subject. Sorry but, I'm not where I can take the time to search them out for you. Generally, you take one of the magnets and move it around the ignition to find out where they stick and note where that corresponds on the key then, place the magnet accordingly. Do this for each of the three.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
They aren't transponders which match the key to the ignition lock but, three magnets placed in the head of the key. The pattern they are in and, the direction of their poles must match that of the bike. These can be arranged as needed. There are threads on the subject. Sorry but, I'm not where I can take the time to search them out for you. Generally, you take one of the magnets and move it around the ignition to find out where they stick and note where that corresponds on the key then, place the magnet accordingly. Do this for each of the three.
I forgot to mention and, this is where the other threads or others' comments would come into play but, I'm not sure if the magnets are placed in the keys with the poles directed to be attracted to or, repelled by those in the ignition assembly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
The key came with 4 tiny magnets so I'm guessing thats as described by scooter maniac The shipping note says I have two items. 1 key with chip and 1 "Transponder"
Unfortunately, although bought on Ebay UK, they were sent from Germany.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Scooter_Maniac he lives in the UK and they do have transponders in their keys.
Thanks, Buffalo...live and learn.

Restegihni- rereading my post, I see I stated the magnets match those in the ignition. Actually, they match those located where the key head fits to close the shutter door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorted.
Worked the magnets out myself but had to get a professional for the transponder.
Turns out the key I bought on Flea bay has a chip but unlike an OEM key it is positioned in the key too far away from the key barrel and will not talk to the immobiliser (UK spelling). Had to supply and cut a new key.
Thanks for the repies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts