Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All. I had a Honda 250 Elite Scooter from 1985 sitting in my garage unstartable for about 2 years. Finally sold it to a young Mechanical Engineering student for $300. She was sure she and her friends could get it running again since I'd ridden it into the garage under it's own power. I believe she will.

Anyway, my wife has two brothers with Harleys, and told me that I could get a Harley since I'd gotten rid of the old scooter. The thought of owning and riding a Vrod appealed to me! Reality hit when I priced out that HD. I even went and rode one, but making it as comfortable a ride as my scooter had been was going to cost me more than $20000 U.S.

The only motorcycle dealer in my city is a Yamaha dealer, so I went there to see what they had that might be more in my price range. The only bike in that store that appealed to me was a Yamaha majesty 400 scooter. I was surprised to find scooters back in style again, and looking much nicer than my old Honda. The Majesty was sluggish off the blocks, and low windscreen wouldn't keep the wind off my face. On my honda I could slide back on the seat to lean forward and down out of the wind. The stepped seat on the Yamaha prevented that. The dealer also knew of no optional taller windscreens.

I decided to find all the dealers within 100 miles, all the 400cc+ scooter, and drive them all until I found one with the power and wind protection my 6'1" wants. I drove an Aprilia Atlantic 500 and was intrigued. I researched every large scooter available in the US, and found the Burgman 650 and the Silverwing to have the best power (HP) to weight (bike+rider) ratios. So those were the only others I test rode. The Honda had a very smooth ride. Neither blocks the wind with their stock windsheilds. But since Givi makes taller windsheilds for both, I decided I'd buy whichever of those two bikes I could get the best deal on.

Last saturday my wife and I drove to Topeka KS, where both could be found. The Honda dealer had a 2005 silverwing, but wouldn't or couldn't quote me anything lower than $7200+tax. The Suzuki dealer had two 2004 burgman 650s in his store. Both were brand new 0 miles, and both had $6725 tags on them. A Salina Kansas dealer had quoted me no lower than $7800 for a 2005 Burgman 650.

By the end of the day I was riding home a black 2004 Burgman 650. I'd paid $7000+tax for the scooter + a backrest and two new helmets.

Love the scooter. Parked it in the driveway to wash it today, and gathered a crowd of neighbors oohing and aahing. My wife thinks I should name it "Darth" on a custom license tag. I'm thinking "2FUN"!

Dave B.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Dave. Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 650. Just don't get caught using a lightsaber while riding 'Darth'. ;)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seatec said:
What did your Harley brothers say :shock: :?: :roll:
They will see it for the first time on Easter Sunday. We'll see how they react then. Showed it to my Dad yesterday. He (77) wants to take a ride when the weather gets a bit warmer. He wants me to take a photo and email it to him so he can print it out and show his coffee buddies. I think I'll wait until his ride, then take a picture of him on the scooter. That should impress his senior buddies more.

Dave B.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pauljo said:
Congratulations on the new 650! Washing it already? You are going to spoil it. :wink: I'm waiting for a nice 70° day to do mine...
Trip home from the dealership was 50 miles on a back road through several small towns. The bugs hover over the roads this time of year (pavement is warmer) and so had peppered the front of the bike and my helmet quite a bit. I'm definitely going to need a taller windshield.

Dave B.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Dave,

You should buy a spray can of the Honda Cleaner & Polish stuff. I've been using it for years. It works great on both the scooter and helmets. That is what I use to "de-bug" the scoot & helmet after a ride. I only wash the scoot maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and use that stuff to keep it looking good between washes. It comes in two sizes. I keep a large can in the garage, and carry a small can in the scooter glovebox wrapped in a towel for "debuging" at road stops when needed.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Congrats Dave on the 650 and welcome to the forum. May I offer another tag solution......." FUN4 2"

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
allwalk said:
Congrats Dave on the 650 and welcome to the forum. May I offer another tag solution......." FUN4 2"
Great suggestion. Thanks.

I suppose I could find this already answered, but I haven't figured out how to optimize the search engine here: For those of you in the 200-230lb range, what setting do you prefer the rear springs set on? My ride seems harsher than the silverwing I tested. It may just be the way the engine weights are supported, or it could be a difference in tire air pressures. Any advice on how to smooth out the ride would be greatly appreciated. We've got some choppy concrete roads around here I'd like to smooth out.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Dave. Smart buy.
What a great time to get a new ride with spring just around the corner!
vr,
Pete

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Glad you are here. By the way, please describe a Jayhawk. I may have spotted one on my last trip through central Kansas sitting on a rock fence post. Neal

·
Registered
19 Posts
welcome to the club they certainly are a great machine may you have many happy times together the 3 of you
debs

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eltee said:
Glad you are here. By the way, please describe a Jayhawk. I may have spotted one on my last trip through central Kansas sitting on a rock fence post. Neal
Neal,

Go to http://www.dictionary.com and search "Jayhawker". Best definition I've ever read.

However, I'm a Wildcat. I teach at the other state of Kansas university. I've heard that those jayhawkers are OK folks, though. My wife has degrees from both.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks for joining us Dave, we're glad to have you. :D

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
4DThinker said:
Thanks, Billmeek. That thread both informed me and confused me.
What I get from the thead is that most people ride with the preload at 2-3 riding by themselves and bump the preload up to 4-5 when riding 2 up. I'd find a good test section of road and play with the settings to feel the difference in the settings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts