Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=0:dfbfqtc2]photo-(2).jpg[/attachment:dfbfqtc2][attachment=1:dfbfqtc2]photo.JPG[/attachment:dfbfqtc2]Hello Folks, I am now the owner of a K8 with 1400 miles. Red. Beautiful. I am coming from a Honda PCX 150 (great bike) and really loving the Burgman.

I have the variator cover off, have a blue clutch bell, and am getting a horrible vibration 2000-3000 RPM. Enough to shake the mirrors and the bike "lurches" and shudders.

I know this has been covered before. I am going to open the clutch and variator when my electric impact wrench arrives, and check things out- check that the rollers are clean and rolling and sand down the clutch a bit.

When the bike is on the center stand and I give it gas, it vibrates at 2-3 k as well, so it is easy to "play" with it while making adjustments.

Odd thing is things look spotless inside the cover.

Am I taking the right steps here?

If the sanding of the clutch pads doesn't help and the rollers are clean and rolling does it make sense to have the blue clutch bell lathed?

Thanks to all,

John

Attachments

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. As much as I like the blue and black of the 400s I've owned, that red sure looks beautiful too.

I suspect the cleanliness of the inside of the CVT is simply that they sprayed it down with degreaser to clean it prior to selling it. While you have the clutch off, I'd look inside to check the bearings and just make sure they still have a good coat of grease.

You could get the inside of the clutch lathed, but I think you'll find your problem to be on the clutch pads themselves. Some sand paper will probably get you back up to speed. And it could be that they never cleaned the inside of the variator...just the parts you can see.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
that's a funny looking blue pattern from the picture I can see, if it is as I think and all on one part, maybe lathing isn't such a bad idea, or cost commparative lathing to replacing with a new bell, but definitely check the surface of the pads once you have the bell off , post a location and maybe one of us is close enough to come over and eat all your groceries and laugh at your mistakes and borrow all your tools and stuff and maybe even offer a word of advice , like buy better beer next time or something :D
welcome and hopefully happy riding soon

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I had the same exact problem at around 3K miles. De-glazing the clutch bell and shoes will help but it will come back especially if you do a lot of city riding as I do. The biggest problem is there isn't enough cooling within the CVT, I turned 2 OEM clutch bells a beautiful shade of blue in short order. What is working for me now is I replaced the stock rollers with 19g DR. pulley sliders and installed a Polini speed bell which is lighter and has much larger cooling ports. The problem has not come back and that was about 10K miles ago.

Almost forgot, welcome to the board and good luck with your new ride.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
InfernoST said:
I had the same exact problem at around 3K miles. De-glazing the clutch bell and shoes will help but it will come back especially if you do a lot of city riding as I do. The biggest problem is there isn't enough cooling within the CVT, I turned 2 OEM clutch bells a beautiful shade of blue in short order. What is working for me now is I replaced the stock rollers with 19g DR. pulley sliders and installed a Polini speed bell which is lighter and has much larger cooling ports. The problem has not come back and that was about 10K miles ago.

been thinking about that , how much did polini want for that bell? I may install it otd on my next burgman , already got a few parts piling up waiting for a bike to put them on

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
InfernoST said:

been thinking about that , how much did polini want for that bell? I may install it otd on my next burgman , already got a few parts piling up waiting for a bike to put them on
It was $155 about the same as the OEM, the only thing is it took almost 1 1/2 months to get but I feel it was worth the wait. I'm going to take apart the CVT over the weekend to change the sliders and clean things out, I'll take a pic of it and post it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Post Operation

Hello Friends, well, I got a pulley wrench today and removed the variator and the clutch bell. I sanded down the pads with 180 and the inside of the bell itself a bit. I also pulled out the rollers, cleaned, put in 18g Dr. Pulley sliders and dry lube.

Did a 1 mile test run. Too soon to tell. Seemed much better. I will take it for a long ride tomorrow and report back.

I guess I am not sure how much smoothness to expect. It was clearly not right before this operation...lurching in a way that feels like fuel starvation. It is now not nearly as smooth as my PCX150, but is drastically better.

Anyone in RI to do a test ride with me?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
From your photo the clutch bell looks like it is over heating in one spot, is that correct? Did you also check the clutch springs to make sure they were intact while you were in there? Another thought from a fellow member thinks it is possible that the bell could be out of round.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello All,

I did 70 miles today and while no slipping (it was slipping before) and more power off the line (Dr. Pulley rollers?) it is still lurching at low speeds and actually there is some lurch at 50+ but far less pronounced at 50+

The sanding of the pads and bell helped, or maybe it was the rollers. Not sure.

At any rate, the clutch bell is blue in 1/4 of the outside. The pads and springs looked fine, not oddly worn (just glazed) and the springs looked okay on the clutch assembly itself.

I am not sure I can live with the lurch/shudder/vibration or whatever you want to call it. Clearly better now but enough that it distracts from the fun of the ride.

I guess the question now is, do I try to have the clutch bell lathed, replace the clutch bell, or replace the clutch bell and clutch assembly.

The OEM replacement is without the spot welding and may be a better bell.

Suggestions? Start with replacing the bell...my only worry there is if a bad clutch caused the spoil of the first bell...

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
riburgman said:
Hello All,

I did 70 miles today and while no slipping (it was slipping before) and more power off the line (Dr. Pulley rollers?) it is still lurching at low speeds and actually there is some lurch at 50+ but far less pronounced at 50+

At any rate, the clutch bell is blue in 1/4 of the outside. The pads and springs looked fine, not oddly worn (just glazed) and the springs looked okay on the clutch assembly itself.

I am not sure I can live with the lurch/shudder/vibration or whatever you want to call it. Clearly better now but enough that it distracts from the fun of the ride.

I guess the question now is, do I try to have the clutch bell lathed, replace the clutch bell, or replace the clutch bell and clutch assembly.

Suggestions? Start with replacing the bell...my only worry there is if a bad clutch caused the spoil of the first bell...

Thanks to all.
The juddering you are experiencing is a result of the new sliders causing the clutch to be out of tune. On my majesty i fixed the problem by fitting a dr pulley clutch and tuned it by changing the springs to a different tension as advised by Dr pulley on their troubleshooting info, you may also consider a dr pulley bell as well. On the Burgman dr pulley clutch it appears they have the correct springs installed for most riders needs, I am currently installing this clutch will post a review down the track.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Muse said:
riburgman said:
Hello All,

Thanks to all.
The juddering you are experiencing is a result of the new sliders causing the clutch to be out of tune. On my majesty i fixed the problem by fitting a dr pulley clutch and tuned it by changing the springs to a different tension as advised by Dr pulley on their troubleshooting info, you may also consider a dr pulley bell as well. On the Burgman dr pulley clutch it appears they have the correct springs installed for most riders needs, I am currently installing this clutch will post a review down the track.
The bike should run just fine with just the sliders, the OP has some other issue because only 1/4 of the bell is overheating which would indicate either an out of round clutch bell, bent final drive shaft or the clutch isn't seated correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, I am thinking the bell is out of round as there were a few "blackened" areas inside on a few spots.

I notice I only get 52 MPG on the highway too, which would also indicate some sort of "drag" i.e. the clutch wearing up against part of the bell.

That might support the theory of the stuck spring on one of the clutches-

I ordered the OEM bell which has been upgraded and a HiT clutch which I should have in mid September.

One final note to the puzzle. When I first sanded the clutch pads it was riding much better, but is slipping and slow from the start with lurching again.

Thanks for all for the advice, don't think there was getting around replacing the bell and clutch here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
How the heck all these issues after only 1500 miles? **** I really wanted that Red color... Someday if I determine I'm keeping this one...I'm painting my bike something crazy. :thumbup:

Sorry you're having trouble- but sounds like you'll work it out soon. Beaut of a scoot! Welcome to the board to boot!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Red is the best color :)
As for the blue clutch, PO afraid to hit the gas when taking off? Or too much city driving? Carrying too much weight?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I believe PO did what Suzuki recommends. Drive under 4k rpm.

Poor design, otherwise amazing bike.

Buying nee oem bell and HiT clutch

Will have all in by mid september.

·
Registered
748 Posts
InfernoST said:
Here is the pic of the clutch bell I promised to post, sorry it's a bit late.

This picture and the top picture give me a visual of someone elses 'belt height' that I was referring to in another post. Yours looks about flush to the top. Mine is a little below the top, which is why I asked in the first place. How many miles on that belt? 4000 on mine. I'm thinking riding 2- up all the time is giving me some premature belt wear?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts