Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really just want to vent about my new house. Im doing my walk thru next tuesday. There were many items left to do on the house as of Sunday. One of them being the granite countertops in the kitchen. Today when I went to check on the progress, the granite was installed, however the color was BLACK not the Desert Cream we ordered. When we originally placed our granite color order there were 5 new colors to choose from. Because the desert cream wasn't in the drop down list on the computer, she chose black and wrote a small paragraph next to it explaining that we wanted the cream and the choice wasn't available in the computer. I guess no one read her notes.

This is the most recent of "oops" that they have done. I dont want to relive the other ones they have corrected so far.

Our biggest ulcer at the moment is: Willl they force us to sign with the wrong counters? I assume the ordering of the counters is a many week process. AHHHHH! Sonja is ready to have a complete blowup on these idiots.

I thought by asking others of their horror stories it might make us feel better about ours.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Our home was fairly ok - they forgot the side door off our garage, cornered off a part of our closet for no reason whatsoever (might make a good hiding place later), and put in the wrong (upgraded) tile by our front door although we didn't request it.

BUT, our neighbor is a whole nother story. We were watching our house being built, and, like normal, were snooping around, looking in our neighbors homes as they were being built. One day, as we looked in a window, I could easily see water streaming down from the ceiling from the first floor to the second. Apparently, a pipe had burst and had been flowing for quite some time. This all happened about one week before closing.

2 years later (wow) and a ton of patience by our friends, they moved out for two weeks while significant repairs were completed - including removing ALL carpet, redoing most floorboards, drywall, etc.

I would've sued them for a massive settlement or demanded a completely new home. Ridiculous. Like you perhaps, they were "on their way" and couldn't wait to move in - having already sold their old home and had no place to go. They moved in. They were just too nice to the builder I think, and I think they'll have a nightmare trying to sell it IF they are honest with what happened - which is pretty much required here in Arizona.

I really dislike builders. They put them up fast and cheap here in AZ, as they are in NV from what my sister in Henderson has said. We will live in our home for awhile, and I pray nothing significant happens. We had a pipe burst as well, but it was UNDER the cement in the garage and they caught it very early on.

I'll bet this story (our neighbors) is not nearly as bad as many others out there....!

Flint

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've never had the pleasure of having a new home built for myself. But I've had to listen to co-workers moaning about the experience. Blown timetables and screw-ups like your countertops are pretty common.

I bought my current "pre-owned" house in Nebraska over the Internet - I was living in Connecticut. My youngest brother is a mortgage broker in Denver, CO - I let him set up the Nebraska mortgage. Mistake. The only folks less competent than builders are the folks who work with mortgages. During the first 18 months, my mortgage payment changed four times as errors were uncovered and "corrected". I am all for hiring the handicapped, but the companies that charge big bucks to inspect homes prior to purchases should not hire blind people. There was quite a bit that was overlooked. Arranging for a cross country move added excitement. Movers are less fun to deal with than mortgage people. And car transporters are even worse.

We inherited neighbors from hell on one side. I learned gradually from other folks that they had a long history of causing trouble. They sold their house and moved out about 6 months ago. Whew! The young couple who bought that house are nice.

So everything seemed to stabilize, and then the county reassesed my house and raised the taxes - by a lot. It's going to need painting soon, and the back deck needs rebuilding, and the plumber has become a regular visitor.

I also bought a house with WAY too much yard area. I have practically worn out a new lawnmower in two years. And Nebraska has more bird species than any other state. I know that because so many of them want to raise families on my back deck - even inside my barbeque grill.

It's never over. At least I didn't have to go through having it built.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had a new house built and it was like a dream, all the financial stuff came together like nothing, everything was done exactly as ordered, literally no screw ups. After 6 months the deficiancy list was 7 items that were fixed on time to our satisfaction and they really were small little niggles, cosmetic. After a year nothing else to be repaired, painted or touched up. Oh yea, we took possesion 3 weeks early.
Unfortunately circumstances forced us to sell after living in it only a year and a half and we lost a lot of money on the deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You pushed my button

Greengoose, you are not alone. This kind of stuff goes on to some degree in all developments, but you have to try to make lemonade out of lemons. Sometimes you disclose that you're wounded, but you have to let them know you'll go to the end of the earth to get justice. But if you know they are more powerful than you, try to trade for more stuff or work in exchange for agreeing to take what you didn't order.

Thirty years ago, I had a house built in a "high end" neighborhood. The developer kept "forgetting" to do important stuff like leaving out the fireblocking before putting up the dry wall. I'd catch the booboos and point them out. They'd say "it's not in the model house" if it didn't match the blueprints. And if I said, "then what's in the model house should be in mine," they'd say "It's not in the blueprints." Finally, he told me to butt out since I didn't have the qualifications to be an inspector. OK. So I waited till it was all done, called a meeting with the developer, the builder, and the architect and told them they were all going to lose their licenses if they didn't settle fairly with me. While they were jerking me around, I discovered they were substituting at will. For example, if the bill of materials called for a 4X8, they put in a couple of 2X6s. A 2X6 would end up a 2X4. Oak rails came out as redwood. Etc. That meant that for every 3 houses they built, they had stolen enough material for a 4th for free for them. They ended up building me another 1/3 more house for free on the condition that I wouldn't tell the neighbors.

I sold a year later and went to CA. I returned 3 years ago and that very same house that cost me $60,000 could now sell for $950,000! And the present owners don't even know why it's bigger than the neighbor's.

If I were a vengeful guy, I could've bombed 'm all. But I would've had an enormous legal bill and probably been found dead in a cane field after they all got out of jail. The best part was that they eventually went bankrupt from mismangement and greed when the Jimmy Carter years came around and the economy tanked.

Best of luck to you in your new home. And remember, YOU can choose to be cool or angry, happy or sad, or to perceive your glass to be half full or half empty. Be the former, but be assertive, too.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, thats the medicine I needed right now.

First thing I caught was the power panel was supposed to be 300 amp. Superintendant said you can't tell by looking. So I asked why certain other homes had a GIANT panel. He finally agreed mine was the standard and replaced it before they poured the foundation.

Second major thing I found was when they framed the 2nd floor and was getting ready to put on the roof framing, they put an entirely different upstairs floor plan than I had picked. I wanted the 2nd master bedroom and they had an open loft. Luckily I pointed it out before the roof was put on.

ALL of the outside electrical was 180 deegrees reversed from the blueprints. My added outside lightws were reversed, 220 for the future pool, etc...

We changed our minds a few monts later on the vinyl flooring in the wet areas and decided to upgrade to the laminate wood. Guess what was put on the floor the first time?

I'm getting upset again so I will stop writing for now. :evil:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
The service industry really isn't it seems nowadays. Like Paul, I haven't had the "pleasure" of going through a home build stress test. Man...

However, I recently had numerous repairs that hurricane Ivan caused (>$12,000) and I had to ride those repair contractors hard to get 'em to do it right. I had to have many things done two or three times before I would "sign off" on their work. Man - and THEY are the ones who are supposed to be "the pros."

Sigh oh well.

Serenity now Serenity now!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your contract reserves final payment till you're satisfied, do not give them the moola just to show good faith. They will not respond in kind. Once they have all their money, you'll be a stranger to them, and you won't get anything corrected unless you threaten, get ugly, send your pitbull, etc. It may also help to have the backing of your lender who probably has the right to inspect before making payments.

Sorry about getting you all riled up. I know the feeling. You'll have a hard time falling asleep. When that happens, turn on the lights, write down your thoughts, turn out the lights and think about how nice your bed is compared to sleeping in the sands of Iraq.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bryan, it's the line of work both the wife and I are in. We're in new houses almost daily in the boom area of MO. Some are $200,000 many go up to $2 and $3 million. If you picked lighting for the kitchen area based on the reflective/absorbing type of dessert cream granite countertop and you accept black granite go back and re-evalute you lighting in that area with a ALA lighting consultant. If you have recessed cans above which accept PAR/HAL 38 bulbs you may be ok if properly spaced in sufficient quantities. (parabolic reflector, size 38, halogen) The black top absorbs so much light output. The task lighting for that area must be bright enough for everyday use. If you and the wife are not happy in the kitchen area, well, you would be suprised how much time you spend there. In regard to panels, many good builders use 200 amp mains with a large sub on the other end of the house, garage, pool, sauna, spa, shop, etc.
pm for Brenda, she's done this both electrical service wise and lighting spec-wise over20 years.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
BY the way...Alan's post made me think about what I had said earlier. I must say that there are a whole bunch of highly skilled, dependable, and honest tradesmen out there. More so than not. It just seems as though sometimes I've been stuck with the not-so-skilled variety. Hat's off to our hard working tradesmen and women!

By the way...the pensacola area can't get enough hurricane Ivan help in this area (contruction, repair, etc.) so those of you in that vocation that want to venture to that area, there is money to be made. Justa thought.

vr,
pedz

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here it is as of last night. Keep it? Heap it?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
i agree with allwalk.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's like your Svelt, if Suzuki hadn't come through,
You'd have kissed Suzuki goodbye and we'd be stuck
with one less moderator (not good).

You work too hard for your money to less that happy
with what you get in exchange for it. EVERY time you
use it, enter it, leave it, lay in bed thinking about it,
your stomache would be in knotts.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I bought my new house almost exactly four years ago. Everything went wrong for the contractor mostly because they had so much trouble getting the county inspectors out. (Massive building boom & no new inspectors at that time.) They goofed & allowed their permit to build run out & they had to start the process over again.
The new permit required block walls instead of wood fences & required
landscapeing & sod to be included. It took us over 18 months to move in.
The good news was we got more than we paid for & the house I sold soared in value while I was waiting . (As well as our new one.) Many of our neighbors are not as happy. They had already sold their houses & were renting & storing their furniture.
They have just finished new homes on the other side of our street & they are selling for twice what we paid plus they are in a different tax
area & their tax rate is almost twice what ours is. Ask me if I'm a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I finished my house my self, plumming , electrical, etc. started in 68 and still working on it, never be done. Had local carpenter build our cupboards few years ago and did a fantastic job, and Im hard to please, I like perfection. Built my first set of cupboards my self, they did for 30 years, nothing fancy but the doors never fell off. Good luck Greengoose. Wayne

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
uh, happy wife = happy husband?
:oops:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Contract!

Bryan,
Demand that the contractor give you the house you contracted for. If he delivered something less get it corrected. If he delivered an upgrade you did not order, don't pay for it; it will cost him more to pull out an upgrade and redo whatever it is, so he'll just leave it. Bottomline, if you do not note all the problems in writting, the contractor will deny repairs/changes after you take ownership. So what ever you do, put it in writting, and hold back some money in escrow (that will get him working to please you). With all that said, don't loose your cool, just put it all back on the general contractor and hold the escrow over his head.

I appologize if this seems a little strong, but I deal with contractors on a regular basis and know how many of them (not all, for those good Burgie owning contractors) think.

Just my 2 cents. When all is said and done, enjoy the house.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts