Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I really like the rider position. Looks very comfortable for my style of riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like it and could be the replacement for the Silverwing, but it still not being sent to the U.S. to be sold here. Maxi scooters sales in the U.S. are still not what they are in Europe and sales here show it. Were still a country where the cruiser is king and until we change our buying habits don't look for the manufactures to show much interest here. We have 50 billion Harley's to dispose of and most are on Craigslist for sale.

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
What an odd bike. MC in the inside, scooter on the outside. Leave it to Honda to capitalize and create two bikes out of one. They've done it several times before, like the GL1800 & Valkarie, the ST1300 & that new bagger bike. BMW does it to with their two scoots based on the same bike underneath. But I can't help but think that every bike like that is a compromise in some way. Like the lack of storage & leg room on the Integra; very unscooterish.

Well it no Burgman killer to be sure. I like my leg room, smooth cvt and storage.

But who does it attract? Perhaps our foreign friends can shed some light as its not sold here. Does it attract the younger crowd? I'd like to know. Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looks extremely interesting to me. Excellent weather protection, even better fuel economy than Burg CVT, larger better tires (radials), more compliant suspension with lower unsprung weight.
Downsides are that you'd still have to swing a leg over to get on, exposed chain drive, not much in the way of storage.
Like every thing in this world, it is a compromise.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Looking good. More power, less weight (than Burg), better suspension, bigger wheels. Like the colour scheme. Not sure "more" underseat storage is meaningful, but I'll take it. Range?

DCT vs CVT is probably even-steven. Modern chains and lubes are pretty stress free in my opinion, it's a draw there too.

Some guys are dual-sporting with the Integra's cousin, the nc700x. Rideapart seemed suitably impressed, so it's probably a better gravel scratcher for those that care.

Legroom seems a bit limited in comparison. That's a BIG one. I need 3+ hour comfort range just to use the few vaguely curved roads available around here. Smaller trunk, obviously. Not a deal breaker, but it's a VERY handy feature.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
DCT vs CVT is probably even-steven. Modern chains and lubes are pretty stress free in my opinion, it's a draw there too. .
The DCT has potential, but Honda's not using it. It's programmed to avoid gearshifts, so when you overtake a car it downshifts like it's supposed to, but when you turn back the throttle, it stays in the same gear, and you slow down rapidly in front of the car you just overtook. After several - more like more than 5 seconds - it finally discovers that you want to cruise on, and it upshifts. Volkswagen cars with the same type of gearbox don't hesitate to upshift, since a downshift takes "no" time.
Honda's DCT works like a converted single clutch stick shift does, for no technical reason.

You can say what you want about chains, you can't convince me neither that the cold flame has been invented, I will not stick my hand willingly into a flame.

I have enough things in my life that I should pay more attention to, I don't need a chain constantly screaming for attention and finally retributing by breaking a link on the freeway.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here's a video walk around showing more detail than that video.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
so is this bike "automatic"?, looks like an Africa Twin....

·
Registered
630 Posts
The DCT has potential, but Honda's not using it. It's programmed to avoid gearshifts, so when you overtake a car it downshifts like it's supposed to, but when you turn back the throttle, it stays in the same gear, and you slow down rapidly in front of the car you just overtook...
Very interesting. I would classify that as moderately dangerous in North America. Vehicle licenses are found in cereal boxes over here. Maybe that's why Honda won't sell Integras in Canada.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'll be switching from my present Gold Wing to a Maxi Scooter in the near future, possibly this coming Spring. I was seriously considering a 2013 Burgman 650, but am patiently waiting/wishing for the Integra to arrive here in the U.S. I still may end up with the Burgman, which is good, but since I tour a lot, would prefer the vast Honda dealer network. However, that Integra chain drive does trouble me!!:sad1:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Heat Problem

With those exhaust pipes that close to your feet sure wouldn't work for me living in the desert. My brother who has a ST1100 complains about the engine heat in the summer with his Honda. ;)
A few years back I owned a ST1100 and a ST1300 at the same time and if your brother thought the ST1100 was bad in the heat, he'd never been able to ride a ST1300, at least the new Honda bike has the exhaust out in the open where it can possibly dissipate the heat a bit better than the previous ST models which were buried under the Tupperware, + I wouldn't buy one until hot weather returns and I can get a good feel for the exhaust heat it generates

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A few years back I owned a ST1100 and a ST1300 at the same time and if your brother thought the ST1100 was bad in the heat, he'd never been able to ride a ST1300, at least the new Honda bike has the exhaust out in the open where it can possibly dissipate the heat a bit better than the previous ST models which were buried under the Tupperware, + I wouldn't buy one until hot weather returns and I can get a good feel for the exhaust heat it generates
Prior to my Gold Wing, I rode an ST1300 for several years. You're correct, the heat was a big issue in warm weather, but was a benefit at times here in Michigan. However, must say, I loved that ST!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be switching from my present Gold Wing to a Maxi Scooter in the near future, possibly this coming Spring. I was seriously considering a 2013 Burgman 650, but am patiently waiting/wishing for the Integra to arrive here in the U.S. I still may end up with the Burgman, which is good, but since I tour a lot, would prefer the vast Honda dealer network. However, that Integra chain drive does trouble me!!:sad1:
For what it may be worth to you, among other bikes I have owned since 1960, I have had three Goldwings and the 2013 Burgman 650 that I purchased last summer suits me just fine, both locally and on the super slab. I ride only solo these days and it has plenty of get-up-go for all occasions. It also requires less mental bandwidth to operate, leaving more for paying attention to the environment. Maintenance is a snap. Though not as posh, the Burgman is much more versatile and I ride it more than I did any of my 'Wings. I am still fine tuning it to my tastes, including a set of just-arrived side visors.
TW

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
For what it may be worth to you, among other bikes I have owned since 1960, I have had three Goldwings and the 2013 Burgman 650 that I purchased last summer suits me just fine, both locally and on the super slab. I ride only solo these days and it has plenty of get-up-go for all occasions. It also requires less mental bandwidth to operate, leaving more for paying attention to the environment. Maintenance is a snap. Though not as posh, the Burgman is much more versatile and I ride it more than I did any of my 'Wings. I am still fine tuning it to my tastes, including a set of just-arrived side visors.
TW
I greatly appreciate your comments. To say the least, very helpful!! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Honda doesn't do automatics and I'll bet the red line is 6500. The paddle shift will be better than the Burgman manual but it won't touch the ECVT for turbine like performance.

Windscreen is small so buffetting for sure.
Suspension looks good - likely a foot driven rear brake ....:confused:

Nice color scheme tho :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'll bet the red line is 6500. ...
Suspension looks good - likely a foot driven rear brake ....:confused:
Yes it's very limited in rev's, No the rear brake is operated from the left handlebar.

Honda is NOT using the dual clutch auto transmission to anywhere near its potential, as they try to limit the number of gear shifts, where they could and should just let it shift as needed, preferably with adaptive control, based on throttle movements. It works in a BMW 5-series car from 1997.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts