Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in production yet, but they are definitely thinking OUTSIDE the helmet!

http://vimeo.com/61179198

Now if it incorporated a rear view mirror like the Reevu, it would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Interesting. A little easier to put on than a standard helmet, but probably quieter than a modular.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Thanks for the post. :thumbup:
I personally hate chin straps, particularly on all day rides.
If the price was reasonable, I would consider purchasing one of these.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was viewing the video over and over. I am not sure I would use one of these helmets. How do you get it off in the event of the latch jamming? Which can happen in an accident. I don't want some fireman using the "jaws of life" on my head...

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For ANYTHING like that to go into production, the latching mechanism must be a 'no fail'. Or have some sort of failsafe release mechanism. But I think I'd rather have it hard to get off as opposed way too easy to put on or get knocked off.

(I would guess that you first thought seat belts were 'confining' and could trap you in a burning vehicle?) :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
If they didn't cost a gazilion dollars I would love one of these.

N

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Buffalo said:
Interesting. A little easier to put on than a standard helmet, but probably quieter than a modular.
Should be quieter than any helmet if designed right I would think.

DougInKY
How do you get it off in the event of the latch jamming? Which can happen in an accident.
There is a quick release for the whole hinge mechanism to be remove at the top of the helmet.
It will then clamshell open from the top allowing for access to a jammed latch or other emergency situation.
It looks well thought out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
No way! Too many safety questions that are not answered by anyone but them. And a baseball hat would almost get a DOT rating, so that wouldn't impress me. Show me a proffesional super bike rider that wears one, then you'll have my attention.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My concern is with the integrity of the outer shell and it's ability to distribute energy in the event of an impact. I don't see it being able distribute energy over 2 separate halves. Seems to me that the inside foam would also be compromised and unable to distribute the energy for the same reason. Granted what the video showed was a prototype, but it seems like the design was a bit flimsy. You had maybe an inch-long hinge secured by 2 latches. I'm not convinced that the 1/4 inch or so lip that is on the back half and meets with the front half would provide much in the way of structural integrity.

Just my 0.02 cents.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a prototype...zzzzzz.....zzzzzz.......zzzzzz......zzzzzzzz....

Mike337 said:
No way! Too many safety questions that are not answered by anyone but them. And a baseball hat would almost get a DOT rating, so that wouldn't impress me. Show me a proffesional super bike rider that wears one, then you'll have my attention.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you could always contact the designer(s) and ask them for an explanation of their reasoning and their calculations for impact distribution. It's just not that easy to 'determine' any engineering design flaws or strengths from a short video of a prototype.

Coz Boogie said:
My concern is with the integrity of the outer shell and it's ability to distribute energy in the event of an impact. I don't see it being able distribute energy over 2 separate halves. Seems to me that the inside foam would also be compromised and unable to distribute the energy for the same reason. Granted what the video showed was a prototype, but it seems like the design was a bit flimsy. You had maybe an inch-long hinge secured by 2 latches. I'm not convinced that the 1/4 inch or so lip that is on the back half and meets with the front half would provide much in the way of structural integrity.

Just my 0.02 cents.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whatever. I happen to see a lot of potential in it and would like to invest in the idea. un-POO. :hello1:
LOL

·
Registered
748 Posts
QuantumRift said:
Whatever. I happen to see a lot of potential in it and would like to invest in the idea. un-POO. :hello1:
LOL
Hahahaha "Un poo". Thanks for playin along.
Always room for new ideas and technology :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+10

:twisted:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts