Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my planned trip this Saturday. (Map below)

Starting in Manchester, I'm headed toward Rochester, up 16 to the Kancamagus Highway, across the Kancamagus highway, down route 3 (It looks like 93, but it's really 3) by the lake, back through Rochester, and home once again.

Any and all are invited. The Kancamagus highway is renowned for it's mountain views. (Or so I've heard... Never been on it yet) Here's some info on the Kanc. http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2458/overview.html

It'll be my longest run on the burg so far. 245 miles. If you start in Rochester, it's only 170 mile round trip. Diana, you up for it? Not sure how far you'll ride in one day. If my wife doesn't take the camera with her to Michigan this weekend, I'll have pictures to share. If she does take it, aw well, maybe next time. :)

Lemme know if anyones interested, I'm going whether anyone else comes or not! :D

Does Route 16 have toll booths? I'll have to bring tokens if it does.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ron,

If only you could wait a few days! I'm running the Kank on Tues or Wed. The views are very excellent, and it is a nice twisty road. I'm planning on taking the Kank to Bear Notch Rd., which is a nice forestry service road only open in the summer, since my final destination is North Conway.

Rt. 16 does have tolls, but they start right after the UNH exit, so I think you'll be OK. I think you'll really enjoy the Kank; lots of twisties, and some great views. Be sure to check out the "view areas" they have setup. You're basically riding up a ridge, so it's all uphill with a nice view turnout at the top, then "all downhill from here" as they say.

If you want to do it again on Tues or Wed let me know! I'll be going west to east as well.

Pat

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could do it during the week, but the FAA tells me otherwise. I'm going to school to become an aircraft maintenance technician, and it's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. So far I have the top grade of 99.1% and perfect attendence... 'course I'm 36 years old, and everyone else in my class... nevermind, I just feel REALLY old everyday I go to school... Anyway, I can't play during the week. :( (But I do get to ride the scoot a hundred miles to school every day!!)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rob,

The Kankamangus highway is a beautiful ride. I've done it a few times. Unfortunately, I live in Nebraska now, so I won't be joining you...

One caution. Keep an eye out for Moose. I've seen them in the road up there a couple of times... As you probably know, if you see one - stop. Wait for it to move on. They don't play nice...

·
Registered
194 Posts
NH HERE I COME !!!!!!!!!!

HI ROB, KIAS....

YES ,I WOULD LOVE TO GO TOO!!! WHERE CAN WE MEET I LIVE JUST OFF ROUTE 16 ( SPAULDING TRPK) I AM JUST OFF EXIT 16 OFF SPAULDING!!!.......IF YOU TAKE EXIT 16 (OFF 16) FOLLOW THE RAMP TO RTE 125 NORTH.....THERE IS AN ICE CREAM PLACE RIGHT AT THE END OF THE RAMP (CALLED MARTINS) WE COULD MEET THERE IF YOU WANT? WHAT TIME?? TALK ASAP.........I WILL ASK MY OTHER SCOOTER FRIEND IF HE WANTS TO GO TOO? THANK YOU DIANA

·
Registered
194 Posts
KANK TRIP

ROB,KIAS,

THE ONLY SMALL PROBELM MIGHT BE THAT I AM A LITTLE SLWOER ON THE CURVES, AND MY MAX SPEED SO FAR THAT I AM COMFORTABLE DRIVING IS ABOUT 60??? WILL THAT BE A PAIN IN THE BUTT FOR YOU? OTHER THAN THAT IM FINE.........OH AND BY THE WAY!!! 36!!! I WISH IS WAS 36 AGAIN, 46 AND HOLDING HERE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH :roll: DIANA

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul, leave in a couple hours and meet us in Rochester, NH at 9:00am on Saturday and I'll be more than happy to be the End of Ride Eyewitness so you can get your Iron Butt Bun Burner 1500 Certificate. :shock: I'm sure Diana would sign it too! Then you could go on the 170 mile ride with us. Which is really a drop in the bucket compared to the 1500 you just rode. Then you could get back home by Sunday afternoon!! Piece o' cake!! :twisted:

Well, I won't have a camera, but that's ok. Memories work better than photos anyway, since sometimes you get so wrapped up in taking pictures you forget to stop and smell the poison ivy... or is that a rose?

As far as the Moose, ya always have to be on the lookout for them around here... and deer, large rodents, small rodents, butterflies, and the occasional horse standing in the road. Yes I was zippin' around a corner once, and traffic was stopped. I looked up yonder, and there was a horse standin' in the middle of the road. So I passed the line of SUV's, noticing that all the yuppies were on their cell phone... (Police? Animal Control? 911? Office? Who knows...) Parked the bike on the side of the road, started walking toward the horse and received an unsolicited warning from one of the drivers to be careful, "It's Wild!" I looked at him, nodded my head and said... "Oooookkkkkk" While thinking to my self, "Yeah, there's all kinds of wild horses running amok in the Boston area..." Walked up to the horse, told him it was time to get off the road, took him to the obvious choice of houses in the area... Barn - Check, Grazing Pasture - Check, Open Gate - Check. Knocked on the door and asked 'em if they were missin' a horse. :lol: They were happy!

Moose, AKA Slow moving Brick Walls in the Road. Haven't seen one in the wild yet, but hopefully this weekend! I feel ripped off everytime I drive around New Hampshire. Signs everywhere!! "Moose 3000 Feet!!!" So I drive 3000 feet and stop. Not a moose anywhere in sight. Then I wonder who taught all the moose how to read so they know where exactly to cross the road at. Interesting this state is. Only been here a couple years. I'm born and bred a Michigander, where the signs read, "DEER EVERYWHERE!" With a small script font below that, "...and the occasional Bengal Tiger on the loose." Sweet and to the point. Anyway, I always look out for the animals, and I give 'em plenty of space to let them do whatever they want to do.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh BTW, I majored in Digression.

Diana!!!

How 'bout 9am? I was just gonna go whenever I woke up (Which is usually around 5:30 - 6:00) if no one else was going to go. But I can lead a structured life! However, spontaneity is one of my strong suits. For example, back in March, my wife and I made a plan to be spontaneous and go to a Bed and Breakfast out near Mt. Monadnock at the end of August. Can't beat that one! :lol:

Rt. 16, Exit 16, at an Ice Cream Place called Martins. (16 flavors?? $1.60 each?? Why didn't they name it "16"??)

Invite everyone, the more the merrier! Don't worry about the curves or max speed. No big deal there. I'm secretly in training for the 1000 mile run in 24 hours or less, which will lead to the 11,000 mile run in 11 days Rally. (Gotta have something to strive for!) I spent 2.5 hours yesterday for a total of 55.6 miles. My rear end was hurtin' somethin' fierce! Guess I better do something about the seat, or develop butt calluses, not sure which! So the ~250 miles I'm going to do Saturday will give me more 'knowledge'. Plus Sunday, I'm doing a test ride of the Poker Run we're holding this fall. Much Shorter, but still 2.5 hours on the bike. Plus a hundred miles everyday commuting. Sounds like I'm goin' the Butt Callus route whether I want to or not!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Wish I could! I loved riding that area. Unfortunately my butt hasn't got as much iron in it as it did a few years ago - so I'm going to pass. You folks have a nice ride, and give us a report too! Word pictures will work OK...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do... Full Report coming. 97,943 words or less. (I Promise!)

Diana, have you ever heard of letterboxing or geocaching?? There has to be a few along the route we're taking. :)

If you haven't heard of it, just wait... find one, and you'll be hooked for life! We are!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Kias said:
Will do... Full Report coming. 97,943 words or less. (I Promise!)

Diana, have you ever heard of letterboxing or geocaching?? There has to be a few along the route we're taking. :)

If you haven't heard of it, just wait... find one, and you'll be hooked for life! We are!
I agree......geocacher here as well. Geocaching on a Burgman...SWEET!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
allwalk said:
I agree......geocacher here as well. Geocaching on a Burgman...SWEET!
That's what we're doing at the end of August... Goin' to a B&B for the weekend, and doing nothing but Geocaching and Letterboxing on the Burgman all weekend!! With NO Children!!!

But right now, we're trying to get a travel bug back.

We picked one up in Ohio, dropped it off in New Hampshire some 8-900 miles away, some one else picked it up and took it right back to Michigan! It was logged as being dropped there yesterday. So my wife is going to try and get it this weekend to bring it back here. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
ROB... KANC

HI ROB,

I HEARD RAIN IN THE AM FOR SAT? NOW REMEMBER I AM AN OLE LADY, MAY NOT BE THERE AT 9AM IF RAINING, I HEARD THE LATTER PART OF THE DAY WAS GOING TO BE NICE, IF I AM NOT THERE AT 9AM, FORGIVE ME AND MOVE ON :) , NOT SURE ENOUGH TO RIDE IN RAIN :( BUT WILL DEFINATELY HOOK UP ANOTHER TIME , WHEN YOU RIDE OVER THIS WAY AGAIN, OR WE COULD MEET ALONG THE SEACOAST OR LAKES ? HOPE ITS NOT RAINING CUZ I'LL BE THERE IF NOT !! THANK YOU DIANA PS. NOPE HAVEN'T HEARD OF EITHER THING......A RIDING TECHNIQUE I WOULD IMAGINE? :twisted:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, the radar isn't looking good this morning. So maybe we'll have to do this another time. :(

I might putz up there on the west side this morning... I might be able to squeek through the rain if I do it just right. LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
kanc run

Hi Rob,

Its a shame about the weather today........its suppose to nice later on, if you want to venture over to Rochester anyway later on , keep me posted , at least yu would have gotten in a couple of hours round trip !!!!...
We could take a ride to the Lakes!!!
Diana :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kias said:
Ok, the radar isn't looking good this morning. So maybe we'll have to do this another time. :(

I might putz up there on the west side this morning... I might be able to squeek through the rain if I do it just right. LOL
Hi read your post last nite, and was tempted to join you guys, but its raining in Methuen. Maybe some other time. The Kanc is is a long hike. Perhaps around the lake would be better. in the future something top think about

1 - 20 of 29 Posts