Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been lurking here for a few years, decided to join. I ride a BMW for the moment but the mileage is more than 100,000 miles and the older I get the higher the seat gets. Thinking about a big scoot, like the 650, worry about sectv...maybe the 400 instead?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Both are fine bikes. Don't worry about the 650 cvt too much. There's too much hype about the belt longevity. Yes it will eventually go out and yes it is expensive to fix.

But by most reports you'll get 75k out of it. In that amount of time you'd have three belt and roller changes on the 400 and at least one, dry clutch replacement. So tranny maintenance cost is about the same on both bikes for that amount of mileage.

Other than that, there's few other reported inherent issues with either bike. They're rock solid mechanically. Just rubber, oil, filters and such every now and again.

The 650 does have a tendency of chewing through rear tires at about a 5-7k mile clip. But that's true of many larger bikes. Can't fault the bike for it,

Base your decision on what type of riding you do. Highways and long trips, 650. City commuting with occasional trips, 400. Both bikes will do any type of paved road riding, but they each excel at their own niche.

Good luck, apprise us of your journey.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Burgman 650 is not particularly low but no need to swing the leg over.
What's your currently seat height?

The 650 is 31.5" - but the difference is having no tank it's not so wide as the bigger BMWs
I found the 1150 too wide for comfort even tho was not too tall.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Close Doc, seat height is only 29.5 inches on the 650 and 28 on the 400. At least that's what's listed in the service manuals. Never measured it myself.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah that's right - was thinking of the CB500x someone was claiming was a small bike..it's 31.5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. If I can reach 75k I will be happy. Seat height on the beemer is 32 but the step thru design should alleviate hiking the leg to high. I know these forums concentrate on the failures. Same thing with the BMW gang. What you never hear is the happy guy. Glad to hear 75k.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Works for me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts