Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New Guy from Kentucky

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  DougInKY 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Ed. I've been lurking and learning here for a few months, and would like to extend a personal thanks to all those that take the time to share their vast knowledge and experience. This site is what convinced me a Burgman 650 would suit my needs right down to the ground. I recently sold my 2000 Honda Shadow Tourer due to arthritic hips, knees, and feet ....and hope a scooter will be easier on my 57 year old body parts.

I may be jumping the gun a little by posting here since I haven't actually ever ridden a Burgman. After looking at photos, and talking at length with current owner.... I've given a verbal handshake over the phone that if bike (2009 650 Exectutive, w/8000 miles) "rides-out" o.k. when I get there, it's mine. We are both in the Central part of the country that is somewhat paryalized by an ice storm and has put our transaction on hold. Hopefully, sometime next week we can do-the-deal. If this deal doesn't work out.... I will find me one!

I plan to change all fluids, and do the recommended mouse proofing screens, and give her a general going over. Any other suggestions, warnings, or reccomendations for this model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ed

See less See more
#3 ·
Glad to have you here, Ed! I recently jumped to the Burgman for much the same reasons, but in my case it was from the Concours. You'll love the Burg and it sounds like you've found yourself a nice one. This forum is great for answering all of those niggling little questions which aren't obvious at first. You've come to the right place.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello Ed from Bowling Green, Kentucky. I am Doug and understand about the hip. I have a bad left hip. Had a stent placed in the artery going to that hip that helped a lot with it although it still gives me grief.

Know that in my opinion, the Burgman is probably the best motorcycle I have owned. The seat is less than ideal though. I took the stock seat buttrest off of mine to give me room on the seat and added a backrest. Still need to get a seat that is padded better for my bony butt (or a seat pad that will work if I can). To give you some idea of my body type I am 5 foot 9 inches tall and weigh 245 pounds. I am 62 and have a handful of medical problems including Rheumatoid Arthritis. Maybe that will help you with some ideas about the purchase of your bike.

Where do you live? Hopefully close.

Namaste'
Doug in Bowling Green, Kentucky

#5 ·
Hi Doug, I'm located about 75 miles from Bowling Green near the small town of Nortonville, 42442. I'm 6'-1" and with a bit of a "beerbelly". One of the things I liked about this scooter is he has already put an aftermarket seat with nice backrest on it to make it more "big-ole-boy" friendly. I'm hoping the lighter weight and the step-through design will make my left hip happier. Some days I just couldn't get either leg high enough to throw over the seat of the Shadow. Maybe after I get this deal consimated and the weather warms abit, we can meet up half-way and I'll buy you an RC cola and a moonpie. How does that sound.

Ed

#12 ·
Sounds great!

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#7 ·
Okay Ed, this is what you do on your first ride...

Put it in regular Drive mode and ride around a bit, get used to the feel of the bike. Then when you get a bit of open road, slow down or stop, press the Power mode button (you can do it on-the-fly) and accelerate as fast as you feel comfortable. When you smile that first smile that says "I'm definitely buying this bike", think of this post and all the folks here who will tell you, "I told you so" : )

Welcome to BUSA!

#8 ·
I didn't even need to press the power button to know I loved the Burg! But on that first ride, BE CAREFUL because that left-hand lever is NOT the clutch!

#9 ·
I didn't even need to press the power button to know I loved the Burg!
Yes, to be sure... But boy that Power mode sure seals the deal.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome and I don't even have a Burgman in my name.... YET! This weather has sure thrown a monkey wrench into the cogs of my plans.

Hi Thomphoto, I'll be looking forward to meeting up with you this Spring. Who knows, we might end up at Moonlite Barbeque, have'nt been there in awhile. Would love to check out your K11 to see how you've got her dolled up.

Thanks guys for the heads-up on the "lever-on-the-left". I had not thought about it before, but after 50 years of that being the clutch...... it'll take some getting used to. Hopefully the B'man will have me B'men an ear-to-ear smile so big it will override my screw-ups. Come on sunshine!

#13 ·
Neat, all three of us could meet at Moonlight (one of my favorite Barbeque places).

Oh, the head up on the left lever. It only took me a couple of rides to get the mental gear changed to think brake not clutch. Now when I ride my V-Strom I have to make that mental "this is the clutch" thing.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#16 ·
Welcome Ed, from the desert around Palm Springs Ca. Sounds like you've found some riding friends. At 8k it shouldn't have any problems. Should have a new rear tire also as mine did. I know you'll be happy with it once you get a chance to ride.

#17 ·
Welcome Ed, I know you'll love your Burgie. I have arthritis and my right hip, knee, shoulder, elbow are all shot. Fortunately, with ''Roland'' I can stop, leaning slightly to the left, and leave my right leg put. No worries taking off either, no shifting through gears, just pick up my left foot and go. I can put my right down if I have to, but 85% of the time, I don't have to and that is a relief.

I have heard much about this "power" button. However, when on the highway, I just have to "think" about it and Roland has left a problem area behind us, I've never used it. Roland is so quiet, so powerful that I'd warn you that going too fast is really easy, so keep an eye on your speed, (e.g you're grinning down as you bop down the highway, look down and see you're doing over 90!). ;)

Some have said that the 650 is heavy, in a parking garage I would agree. However, when in traffic or on the highway I love that he is a big, heavy substantial bike and he is plenty maneuverable. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

#18 ·
Thanks for the "welcomes". Hey Desert Rat, I'm almost (note I say almost) ready to give "my left one" to be living anywhere that has the words "Hot" and "Springs" in its name.

Besides a good servicing, I'm already planning on buying her a new pair of "running shoes", and probably a new battery. I've tried that stuff of being broke down on the side of the road...... and I didn't like it!

I think Mother Nature, or Old Man Winter, or both are conspiring against me on bringing the B'man home. I spoke with the current owner a few days ago. He said they got 16 more inches of snow and then a layer of ice on top of that. He wants me to wait until his area roads are clear enough for a safe scooter ride. He went on to say how he wanted me to be able to take her on a good "shake down" ride, to completely satisfy myself that there's nothing wrong with her. No matter how impatient I am, I can't argue with good common sense.

Thanks for the encouragement Lala, this is one of the big reasons I've made the change. I beleive this scooter is going to be so much more "arthritis" friendly. Can't hardly wait to park my worn out old wrinkled arss on the seat and twist her arm. I'll try to keep an eye on my speed.

Ed

#20 ·
Hey guys, I finally got the weather to cooperate and was able to go North and check out the scooter. It looks great and has several extras the owner forgot to mention. Didn't get to ride her much because she wouldn't run for crapp. Or, should I say she runs like crapp, spitting, sputtering, backfiring, hesitating and so on. Then all of a sudden she comes alive and takes off like a scalded dog. So hard and fast you have to roll off the throttle, and then it starts pissing and moaning again and refuses to get going.

Upon talking more to the owner, it was determined the gas in the tank was about six months old. We tried to siphon the old gas out but couldn't get hose in far enough. He poured in two gallon of new fuel on top of old fuel and put in a bottle of injector cleaner. This helped a lot but it still was running poorly.

The owner made me a deal for me to hold back $500 of price, take her to mechanic of my choice and get her tuned up. If they can't get it to running good enough to suit me, he'll send one of his employees down to pick up scooter and refund my money. I took the man at his word, and I hauled her home.

I was able to work a small siphon hose all the way to bottom of tank and sucked out four gallons of gas. I put in two gallons of fresh gas and a big dose of Seafoam. The weather and my arthritis have conspired to keep me grounded but as soon as I can I'm going to try to ease her up and down the road and see if she'll clear up. I can hope can't I? If anyone has other things this old "shadetree mechanic" should check or try before taking it to dealership, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Again, it's a K9 650 with almost eight thousand on her.

Ed

#22 ·
Ed, you have done what I would do. I think the next stop would be to check the fuel filter. It it is like my other Suzuki, it is in the gas tank. Kind of expensive to replace at about $300 as I recall as you have to replace the fuel pump to change the filter unless you have mad skills and can take the fuel pump apart and source filter parts. I have sent you a PM in reply to your PM with the name and location of a good independent motorcycle repair place. The only downside for you is that it is here in Bowling Green. I just remembered that I didn't send you my cell number. I will PM that to you as well when I finish this message. I so think you have a scoot that you will be able to get running and have a long long relationship with. I also think that if you can get all of the old gas out and continue running for a while with the good gas and seafoam like you are doing it will probably straighten up and run good for you. It sounds like that bike set a little longer than six months though. We have members up here who let their bikes sit that long without problems.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#21 ·
Well congratulations... I think.

Sorry to hear its not performing 100% ( the owner should have sorted that out before selling), but I'm glad you got a taste of what she can do. Told you you wouldn't be disappointed in the power department (or any other for that matter).

Good luck on the repair. I don't have any advice to give you other than taking her out for a nice long ride; clear out the cobwebs as it were. My bikes never sit for more than a day or so. But I'm sure there are many fine mechanics that will lend you some advice soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.