Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow (Bergies) Said with love.
I have two questions that I hope someone in Burgman land can help me with.

My counter balance on the right grip keeps loosening. It also appear to be separating from the grip and is slightly tilted. Is this normal?

Second question. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the grips. I saw some Kuryakn grips on line with the throttle boss and was wondering if they would work on the AN650. I read up enough to know that changing grips is not something to do without detailed instructions.

Any assistance to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JC
Owner for less than a year and loving it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My counter balance on the right grip keeps loosening. It also appear to be separating from the grip and is slightly tilted. Is this normal?
Sometimes bar-end weights get loose -- it's the vibration. Just put a drop of thread-locker (medium strength, usually blue) on the screw the next time you tighten it up.

Second question. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the grips. I saw some Kuryakn grips on line with the throttle boss and was wondering if they would work on the AN650. I read up enough to know that changing grips is not something to do without detailed instructions.
Changing grips is actually pretty easy, and easier still if you have some compressed air to work with. Getting the old grips off is often the biggest headache. If you have compressed air, pry up an edge of the grip and "inflate" it. That'll get it detached from the handlebars, and you can usually slide/peel/wiggle it off. If no compressed air, you can usually still peel the grips off. If all else fails, just cut the old grip and tear it off.

New grips go on pretty smoothly over "Grip Goo," sold wherever grips are sold. Or you can use hairspray to lubricate the new grip. Once it dries, it sticks.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JC said:
JC,

The end weights are held on by a compression of the rubber plug in the handlebar. Loosen the philips screw at the end of the handlebar to release the compression, move the end weight back up almost flush with the grips, and then retighten the screw.

·
Registered
296 Posts

I have installed the Kuryakyn grips and Throttle Boss on both grip ends along with heated grip element. Kuryakyn Part # Universal ISO – Grips 624/6241 &ISO Throttle Boss #6250

The instillation is relatively easy;
1 remove the bar ends, loosen the screw and turn the bar end to remove

2 slip a narrow/long screwdriver under the grips and loosen the grips from the handlebars and pull back on the grip and remove or use air compressor to remove

3 cut/file the ridges off the plastic throttle control; you can leave the plastic ridge on that is next to the handlebar cover. Make sure that the throttle control is smooth to allow for easy installation of the Kuryakyn grip

4 the Kuryakyn grips are two different mounting sizes, one to install over the throttle and one to install on the metal handlebar

5 before you get out the glue check to see if the grips are tight enough when pre-installed, slip the grip on about 2” or 3”. If the grip is loose wind some duct tape on the handlebar & throttle control

6 apply a lot of grip glue and slide the grip on placing the grip where it feels best remembering that the throttle grip should be placed where the throttle will be when the bike is in motion

7 heat the grips with a hair drier to allow the glue to properly bond to the grips, the inside of the grips are ridged not flat

8 allow a cool down period

9 once the grips have cooled down check to determine if there is any slippage of the grips

10 install the Throttle Boss, there will be several adjustments required before you get it in the right place

If you are adding heated grip elements;

1 apply glue to handle bar & throttle control

2 wrap the element around the handle bar & throttle control and tightly secure with duct tape the entire length of heating element or wrap around once cover the entire heating element

3 proceed to 4 above

4 at 7 above turn on the heated grips on the high setting for 15 minutes with the motor running

5 once the grips are hot turn off the heated grips and let them cool down, go to 9 above

I installed the Throttle Boss on the left handlebar as a hand/palm rest, it works great. If find that the larger grips are far more comfortable, I very seldom get numbness in my hands.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I noticed that one of my grip weights was cockeyed, exactly as you described, it also kept getting loose. I fanally took it all the way off & found the washer that goes between the weight & the grip was flat on one side & slightly curved on the other. I just flipped the washer over, reinstalled the weight & have not had to tighten it any more since. It now sits square on the end of the grip as well.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
639 Posts
Alburg installed the Kuryakyn ISO Grips on my bike fairly quickly, even though I have heated grips. He did it as described above.

I only put the Throttle Boss only on the throttle side (he has more money that I do). :D

Make sure you have the grips where you like them before the glue sets up. You want to make sure that the ends of your fingers are on the rubber pads with plenty of room to move up and down.

I have to say that these grips are very comfortable and have greatly increased my riding pleasure. No more numb hands for me! As a bonus, they look very sharp on the 650. :D

Now in order to get rid of the helmet buffeting, I just need my XXL Clearview windshield to arrive (with vent & tint). 8)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I got the Kuryakyn ISO Grips for my birthday. I installed them last weekend using basically the same technique as mentioned by the others here. It was easy - and I love them. They are very comfy and they look great!! Just be careful and take your time. The hardest part is shaving down the plastic. I used an knife and a rasp. I haven't taken any long trips yet to test how much it decreases the effects of vibration - but, darn, they sure are purty. :D The throttle boss is great too.
TallWoman

Reactions: MacProTX

·
Registered
639 Posts
I like how sticky the rubber pads are. You barely have to hold on to the grips, so hands really can relax. This becomes very apparent on the long trips.

For the little extra money, the Throttle Boss is a must. 8)

BTW - Happy Birthday Tallwoman! :eek:ccasion5:

:eek:ccasion4:

·
Registered
296 Posts
On my return trip on the ferry from the mainland I had a chat with five Harley riders on the ferry. All of the guys had install Kuryakyn grips to eliminate the numbness in their hands. The inside of the Kuryakyn grips are wedged, the wedges absorb the handlebar vibration thus eliminating the numbness in your hands. Given the large circumference of the Kuryakyn grips you will have less of a tendency to attempt to have a firm grip around the grips thus providing more hand comfort.

Now in order to get rid of the helmet buffeting, I just need my XXL Clearview windshield to arrive (with vent & tint).
Yes vfdcaptain we will soon eliminate the one big complaint that we have with the 650, the windscreen. Reg and I have both ordered the XXL Clearview windscreen, unfortunately the windscreens are back ordered as Clearview is waiting for the shipment of vents from Honda. I hope that the windscreens arrive before my wife and I depart on our road trip the middle of next week.

I am finishing the installation of my Autocom Pro 7 Sport; thus far I am pleased with the excellent sound from my iPod and cel phone. The installation of the headset into the helmets is a bit of a job and is taking far more time than I had estimated.

I am still attempting to find the perfect frame that will allow me to add Givi luggage, I’m amazed that Givi or Kappa have not manufactured a frame to add their luggage to the Burgmans.

Vfdcaptain and I are now on the hunt for the perfect GPS and it appears that I will replace my current GPS with a Garmin Quest or a Garmin StreetPilot 2610. Any feedback about Garmin GPS systems would be appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also have the ISO grips with Throttle Boss. All the complaints I had with the stock grips are gone. Plus, they look great.

If only I could find as good a solution for my seat!
Perry R.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If only I could find as good a solution for my seat!
Perry, I have lower back problems and I have found that the Corbin seat has taken care of the back ache problems that I was having with the stock seat. I am now able to ride twelve hours a day with some very minor stiffness in my lower back. My wife finds the Corbin seat very comfortable when we are two up riding.

You may want to check this out;
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6501

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the information Al. I will send a PM.

Perry R.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for your input. I am completely convinced that the new grips are the way to go. I was also able to fix the counter balance.
I am now looking for a radio .

JC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts