Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you may know, Google came out with a new version on their Maps program a couple years ago. This was fine as they continued to support their old version for quite some time. But I think Google has ceased offering the old mapping program altogether now. I don't see it as an option anymore.

Again, that's fine, except that the new Google Maps sucks, IMHO. Route URLs are hit and miss on my iPad. They work maybe 50% of the time. When they do work, it's really not as intuitive as the previous version.

I am having the hardest time saving routes and getting the route URLs to play nice with other programs. Forget it if you're not signed in the Google account. From what I can tell, it wants all your friends to have Google accounts in order to share them. One big happy Google family... No thanks.

So this thread is two fold. Both admittedly, for my own purposes; one cathartic and the other informational. But perhaps we'll all learn something.

First do you like or hate the new Google Maps? And two, what are you now using to make routes, GPX files, Garmin Trip planning, etc?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
except that the new Google Maps sucks,
understatement....total trash ....the only one worse is Apple maps on iPhone.
:cwm10:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have used Microsoft maps for trip planning for years - unfortunately, MS discontinued them this year. I have looked at Google maps a couple of times and can't imagine what is in their head to produce something like that. There has to be something better but I haven't found it yet.
JohnF

·
Registered
770 Posts
I made the horrible mistake of updating Google Maps on my phone...now it doesn't work at all, because I have about one-tenth the storage needed for the new "offline" BS. I have tried seven or eight other apps, not a single one works at all. I'm ready to take a hammer to my phone.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I'm using the new Google maps. I've been using it for several months now It is nowhere as intuitive as the old version was but I eventually figured out how to make it work. I build there then down load the KML file, convert it to a GPX file then load it to my Garmin.

A group of us ride together and we us the Google maps as our common planning area then each downloads to their GPS. You are right that you need to be logged in to get anything done. That is not a big deal for us as we also had to log in to use the old Google maps the way we do.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Google Maps SUCKS!!!!
Yup, the new (sic) version of Google Maps that we're now required to use is a complete farce of a mapping program. I have absolutely no idea what their programmers were thinking when they wrote the code for this abomination of a program.

I used to be able to sit down and plan a route, try options, routing, etc, work out distances and timing and be all done right quickly. Now despite hours of playing around, nothing is easy, it's not intuitive, and it's a KLUDGE!!!!

I'm desperately looking for another mapping program, but the might and bulk of Google has smothered all others it seems.

Oh, and I'm using this on a laptop.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
BTW once you get the new Google maps figured out you can made maps just as fast and easy as the old maps. It just takes a long time to get the procedure figured out. One thing that kept giving me problems is that now everything is done in different layers instead of one common layer. Once I figured our how to deal with that things became easier.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I made the horrible mistake of updating Google Maps on my phone...now it doesn't work at all, because I have about one-tenth the storage needed for the new "offline" BS. I have tried seven or eight other apps, not a single one works at all. I'm ready to take a hammer to my phone.
If you're using a smartphone, try Copilot. Very nice program and only downloads regions of maps you use, not the entire country, so you're not using GBs of space. You can do routing, but it doesn't support gpx files though.

Pocket Earth app does read gpx files, but it's not as intuitive. I use it just to proof routes that are sent to me,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW once you get the new Google maps figured out you can made maps just as fast and easy as the old maps. It just takes a long time to get the procedure figured out. One thing that kept giving me problems is that now everything is done in different layers instead of one common layer. Once I figured our how to deal with that things became easier.
Care to elaborate? Not even sure what "layers" you speak of.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Care to elaborate? Not even sure what "layers" you speak of.
Kind of a hard concept to explain. You only see the layers if you create a map in "My Maps". If you create them in the home map page you don't see the layers but then you can't save the map you create or share it or do much of anything else with it either.

Basically the maps are constructed like a series of overlays. You get one function on each layer and the whole map is the combination of all the layers.

Say you create a map in "My Maps" then add directions. A layer will be created asking you to give a starting and ending point. You can then go into that layer and drag the route around to get it like you want.

Now if you want to add named points you can't do it on that layer. You have to create a new layer and put the named points there.

You can name the whole map and each layer. When you go to export the KML you can download the whole map or individual layers.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now if you want to add named points you can't do it on that layer. You have to create a new layer and put the named points there.

You can name the whole map and each layer. When you go to export the KML you can download the whole map or individual layers.
Sounds overly complicated. The old product worked so well. Your average Consumer didn't use all the functions we do. How the heck does Google expect people to figure out layers?

Any advantages you can see to this "upgraded" technology?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
If you're using a smartphone, try Copilot. Very nice program and only downloads regions of maps you use, not the entire country, so you're not using GBs of space. You can do routing, but it doesn't support gpx files though.

Pocket Earth app does read gpx files, but it's not as intuitive. I use it just to proof routes that are sent to me,
Well, you CAN download the entire country on CoPilot Live, but the file is two and a quarter gigabytes! (Hint: use WiFi, and save the maps to your mSD card if you have that option.)

It does let you plot, edit, and save routes. The process for setting waypoints by plugging in street addresses or intersections is a bit clunky, but workable.

Doesn't support *.gpx directly. ITN Converter (on a first-attempt check) ALMOST works to turn *.gpx into *.TRP (CPL's format) I end up with duplicate, out-of-sequence waypoints and I'm not yet sure why, but it looks like the problem might be operator error rather than a flaw in the program... I'll give it another shot when I have some spare time.

http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:itn-converter&catid=1:description&Itemid=2&lang=en

NOTE: I realize the rest of this post is a disorganized mess. I'll come back and either clean it up or re-post a somewhat clearer version of it later. Until then, this will have to do, with my apologies for any confusion.

However, if you're running CPL on an Android device, you CAN transfer the proprietary route files between devices even without having root access. It's unsupported and requires a bit of attention to detail, but it's not difficult. You'll need this technique to move the converted files into the device anyhow -- for Android, the *.TRP files go into storage>device storage>com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa>save
(I suspect that elsewhere in the world, the "namarket.premiumusa" part will be different, but should be self-evident when you go through the filesystem.)

If you're copying for export from your device, just find the file with the name you gave your saved route, inside that folder. Copy it to a USB on-the-go drive, and then copy from that drive to the destination device. (or email it, or however you want to move it).

There might be some way to do it on iOS through either dropbox or iTunes... not sure and I have no idea how one would do it.

Keep in mind that this only transfers the waypoints, NOT the route itself. Unless you're calculating the route using identical vehicle profiles (say, "motorcycle" with exactly the same settings as on the original device) you may not get identical routing instructions.

The two areas where it shines are the onboard map sets and route calculation -- you do not need a cellular data connection to plot or recalculate your route -- and the vast array of route preference customization options.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Count me in on not liking the new Google Maps, to say the least.

I haven't seen anything as counter-intutive since Google Sketchup and Word Perfect from way back.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My work around is to use Googlemaps only to sketch out major points for a days ride. Ie how far to say Renovo from Toronto.

Set Renovo as the destination at start off.
Then use TomTom App to find the interesting roads in between OR the fastest route.

So I might do fastest to Shinglehouse and then switch to maximum Winding Roads and get some sweet surprises.

I do not have to switch destinations or find way points - Winding Roads takes you on the best motorcycle roads.

It makes for enjoyable riding and if you get weary of the twists or running out of time....just switch to fastest again.

I have no patience plotting specifics and like surprises like this
I'm 1,000 km from home, never been there, no cell service...and it leads me to this kind of road without any input from me beyond the destination.
The element of surprise is perhaps the best part....occasionally a downright giggle as it pops up a gem.

Don't like the look of a suggested turn...just keep on trucking and it recalculates....all without a cell connection AND wih voice nav.

·
Registered
770 Posts

My problem is that my phone (a Kyocera Rise) has very limited storage capacity. Honestly...all I want it for is directions, mostly for work. (I drive a box truck.) I loved the old Navigation app.

My fundamental problem is this: I do not want do download ANY maps to my phone! Google Navigation managed just fine without that!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well...Copilot is as useless as the rest of them, because I do not have the required HALF A GIG needed for the maps. I give up.

At this point, I am giving serious thought to giving up riding and just getting loaded every weekend.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I recently re-joined AAA so that I could have their indescribably useful, beautiful, wonderful paper maps again. Their tour books are nice also. The road service for "classic" membership can't hold a candle to AMA, but that's fine.

The Garmin is fine for what it is and the online stuff is OK for planning (and google simply sucks on general principles). But after trying to live without top-quality paper maps for 3 years, I decided that they most definitely have a purpose.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well...Copilot is as useless as the rest of them, because I do not have the required HALF A GIG needed for the maps. I give up.

At this point, I am giving serious thought to giving up riding and just getting loaded every weekend.
Well, sorry for your frustration. This thread was, in part, a bitch session about the new Google maps.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any GPS programs that DONT download maps. 2GB+ is about the going rate for the U.S., half a GB is about the size of a Copilot region.

But before you throw yourself into drug dependency or alcoholism, perhaps all you need os a little equipment maintenance or upgrade. Maybe you can take all the videos and pictures off your phone to make some room. Maybe your phone has a memory card you can upgrade cheaply. Perhaps it's time for a new cell contract & upgraded phone. Lastly, think about just getting a used gps. For your purposes, you could get a way with a Garmin 1350. It doesn't do routes (the 1450'does), but They're only $35 on Amazon for a lifetime map unit, $25 without; far less expensive than a cocain habit or rehab. :D

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have no vids and only 5-6 pics on my phone. I have a bunch of music, but I flatly refuse to remove it. It's more the fact that everything I have ever touched in my life had turned to ****. I'm just really stupid.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts