Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the positive Givi comments I ordered a replacement windscreen. Now I feel that maybe I should have waited and ordered a Clearview.

Plusses
- Just the right size for me. 5'10", 31" inseam. Removes all need to crouch down to get out of the wind zone that I had with the stock screen.

- Keeps the hands warm - my hands were freezing with the original screen (using substantial gloves). But the wind was direct. Now with the Givi, I get no wind on the hands and I stay toasty warm

- Rigid. At speeds up to 60 in gusty conditions, I have no problems with shield flex that others have complained about. Perhaps they've modified the design. This is a very rigid screen.

Neutral
- People mention back-pressure. I felt that slightly but it wasn't as bad as I had expected based on others' comments. It may be that I'm just the right height so that it's not so bad. Don't know but it didn't bother me.

Minus
- Optical quality - There are a lot of sharp bends in the screen which leads to severe optical distortion around the bends. Plus, even the uniform portions of the screen do not seem very optically consistent. It gave me a nauseaus feeling after riding a couple hours with it. It's subtle but always there as your eyes scan around

I need to get some more hours of ride time with the screen. I'd be interested in hearing of others experiences with the optics of the Givi.
-Ted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm considering buying a Givi windshield as well and as my size is similar than yours I was wondering if you can look at the road above the windshield or across. I don't like the high windshield, specially on rainy times at night as the rain drops reflection is very uncomfortable.
PS sorry 4 my english......
Christian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Christian,

For me, the Windscreen is so high that I could not look over the top. My eyes come up to about 5 cm below the top. If I sit very straight up, then I can just get my eyes to be about level with the top.
-Ted

p.s. your English is better than most people who post on discussion groups!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was interested in info on the Clearview windshield for the 400 as well. I should be getting my scooter in the next few weeks. Anyway, I emailed Clearview. This was their response:

Hello Dan,

At this time we do not offer a replacement for the 400 Burgman, but do hope to begin R & D on that model this Spring.

I will add your name to our data base for future product developments.

Thanks for your inquiry

Craig Stenger
Sales / Technical Information
Clearview Shields
[email protected]
http://www.clearviewshields.com

Is the Givi our only option for the 400?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dan,

Interesting news. I didn't realize the Clearview was only for the 650. Guess buying a Givi wasn't such a bad choice after all.

BTW - we must be practically neighbors. If you want to see what the Givi looks like on my 400, drop me a private email.

Ted, in New Hope

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ted,
I'm very interested about your Givi windscreen...
It looks like you have a Burgman 400 / 2003 like mine.
Can you send me a picture on my e-mail adress plse?
Thanks
Good day from sunny (finally!!) Geneva
Christian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a shot of the Burg400 with the Givi windscreen. If you want any other details, feel free to drop me a line.

-Ted

·
Registered
105 Posts
It looks very sharp Ted. I may have to check it out in person. How hard was it to put on? What did it cost? How long did it take to get it? You ordered straight from Givi? Enough questions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Natural questions.
Installation took about 30 minutes. Most of the time spent was me fumbling around with the rubber grommits and figuring out how to get at the screws in the first place. But once I got that figured out, it was no problem. An extra set of hands would simplify things somewhat.

I purchased from Arizona Motorsports. $117 + $13 S+H. I think the charges are really reasonable given the size of the box it came it.
http://www.azmotorsports.com

Ordered on March 2, received March 15. I believe they had to order from Givi and it was on backorder.

-Ted

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple more shots of the Burg with Givi Screen

I posted several other shots of the Givi on my Burg. Rather than take up too much space on this site, I put them on my own website.
There are several views. A head-on view, a front-side view and two views through the screen showing the drivers'-eye view both sitting perfectly upright and slouching somewhat.
For comparison, I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. Most of my height is in my torso.

Ted's Burgman Page:
http://www.soleburymountain.com/burgman

The pictures displayed are thumbnails. Click on an image to see a large, high resolution shot. That should give you a good idea of what the thing will look like mounted up.

-Ted

·
Registered
736 Posts
A quick question on your Givi screen

Ted,

Is the model you bought a " D258T "

This is listed on Givi web site to suit AN250-400 03 & 04 models

No pics on Givi site for D258T

But early models 01 & 02 show extra bracing bracket on the screen

I have 250 2003 model and would like to know if it is the same screen you used ?

Rgds Greg ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg,

Unfortunately, I just threw away my receipts, so I'm not sure which model number mine is. I just contacted Arizona Motorsports and asked for the appropriate model.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'll bet somebody out there knows.

-Ted

·
Registered
16 Posts
What tools needed for attaching the GIVI windshield?

Ted. I want to put one of these Givi windshields on my 400. What tools do you need and does it come with instructions? Thanks. Linda

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Linda, installation is pretty easy once you figure it out. An extra set of hands would be useful, though I did it myself, I nearly dropped it a few times.
No instructions provided. Just a Phillips screwdriver needed. Needlenose pliers are handy too.

There are a couple screws on the dash that you remove to take off the plastic around the base of the shield. It took me a bit to figure this one out. The screws are on the far left/right sides of the dash. Once the screws are out, the plastic will be loose, but still has some snap fittings holding it on. One's at the bottom middle of the piece. I think the others are round the edges. Just pull carefully and they will pop out.

Once the base of the shield is exposed, you will see the rubber mounts in the windshield, with Phillips screws holding everything together by compression. Remove all these (6 I think) screws.

After the screws are removed, you can pull the screen off along with the rubber mounts. Be careful because they tend to pop out and bounce all over! You don't want to lose them. A second set of hands and eyes is helpful at this point.

Note, on my bike, I had several different type of rubber mounts. I don't think that this is "stock". I suspect that my dealer lost some of the originals when putting it together!

Pull the rubber mounts off the original shield and set them aside.

Next, mix up some soapy water in a little bowl. This will help greatly in putting it back together.

If your mounts are like mine, then it will take a lot of force to get them back into the holes on the bike. The trick I found was to partially thread the screws in, wipe the rubber with soapy water, then push the rubber in the holes on the bike using the screw. The screw will stretch the rubber and let it pop right in the hole.

More hands useful here. you got to get all the rubber mounts back in the holes in the Givi. This can be an exercise in frustration! A little needlenose action comes in handy here.

Note that you may want to try putting the rubber mounts in the windshield FIRST then mount them all at once in the holes in the bike. I ended up doing a combination. Try both ways if one doesn't work for you.

put the screws back in and tighten until the mounts are firm but don't overtighten or you're liable to break the rubber. I don't know what the appropriate tightness is. I went by feel.

Button it up and you're ready to go!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Update;
Ordered a Givi shield (azmotorsports) and was emailed Givi USA is out of stock -2 to 3 weeks back order. :cry:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
A Givi note

This thread was a great help to me in installing Givi windshields on our two new 400s.

Note: I received the windshields within two weeks after placing the order with Azmotorsports; standard price of $117 (or was it $114?) each.

When installing I noticed that the screw/rubber grommet combinations that hold the windshield to the bike come in two lengths. There are four "short" combos which go in the top and bottom holes on each side of the bike, and two "long" pairs that go in the center holes.

This wasn't immediately evident to my 59-year-old eyes in the relatively dim light of my garage, and I mispaired the screws and grommets on my first attempt at installing the new windshield.

The results were most unsatisfactory until I disassembled the second bike, paying much closer attention, and noticed the length difference. (It is subtle, but easily distinguished if you are smart enough to pay attention - unlike me.)

Subsequently I reworked the first bike to get the pairings right, and all was well immediately.

I hope this helps the next one to put on the Givi. We will test ride them today, and if there is anything worth reporting we'll post it later on.
Thanks to all who provided the most helpful instructions seen earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had two AN400K3 models and fitted a Givi Touring screen to each.

At 5ft 11" all OK if not raining or dirt on screen.

Otherwise could not see over the top without straining and or sitting on backrest or on rolled up clothing - Not entierly satisfactory.

Also the screen does look a bit overbearing.

I thought it was just me but I too tended to find I got a bit nauseous when driving and especially if looking to the right or left through the screen so tended to look around it when poss otherwise straight ahead as much as poss.

Now have a 650 & Fitted Givi touring screen - Just perfect for me and can see over very comfortably if needs be. Also looks very good as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts