Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of the ugly aluminum bracket I made to hold my old gimbal drinkholder, so I made a slightly more refined version from a scrap of wood. The block is screwed to the dash from the backside with two #8 pan-head wood screws. The pictures start here: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album51/NewBracket1

Let me know what you think. I suspect I'll make a duplicate out of a nicer wood that might be worth a clear finish and no black paint. This prototype is pine, and rough. In the long run I'll probably machine an aluminum block to replace it.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hmmm. :idea:

I have gimballed drink holders on my boat, but never thought about putting one on my bike.

In preparation for a long, hot ride in July I think I'll see what I can rig up. Maybe something that clamps in the glovebox door so I don't have to make any permanent holes anywhere.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked all over the 650 for a place to mount that cupholder. In order for it to work, it had to be vertical and with swing room in all directions below it. It's an old one that probably isn't made anymore. There are some new versions out there, and at least one with a "universal" mount. Finding the place to mount it limits the possible universe, though.

If you just want to carry water on a trip, I've seen some water-bottle frame/holders that could be mounted in the trunk or off the backrest or anywhere you wouldn't bump it.

Dave B.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some "MolecuBond" paint in a 6 oz. spray can at WalMart today. It was marked down from $6.44 to $2.00 for clearance. It's supposed to bond with leather, vinyl, fiberglass, plastic, etc.. I used it to paint the bluish plastic gimbal on my scooter Gloss Black. The picture is here: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album51/BlackCupholder1

I think it looks much better this way. The paint dried quickly and seems to be as tough as the orginal plastic beneath it was. We'll see how it wears over time.

Dave B.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can I make one suggestion for people to watch for, get metal and not plastic.
I have had drink holders on my sail boat and the plastic ones will change colour and become brittle which leads to failue. Sun is a tough task master.
For me the appearance was a big thing since the white ones would turn a sickly yellow.
In any case just a suggestion!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a bad suggestion, Sails. But I don't think I've ever seen a cup holder made from any type of metal. Plastic has the advantage of not retaining much heat when in the sun. My old blue cupholder must have been made from some good stuff, since it survived 20 odd years so far.

I may try and make myself an aluminum duplicate of my plastic gimbal rig. The inner ring of the original uses the flexibility of the plastic to pivot. I'd have to change that in a metal version.

As for my newly painted version, it's got a fan. I found a note on my scooter coming out from work today: "Where did you get the cupholder? I want one for my cycle." followed by an email address. I looked over the assorted cycles in the lot, and can't really imagine where it would mount on a conventional cycle.  The inquiry may have come from the owner of the Yamaha Majesty I've seen in the lot a few times.

Dave B.

·
Registered
76 Posts
4DThinker said:
Look here: Drink Holder Gimbal Mount on Shop.com[/url] for a gimbal cup holder you could mount like I muonted mine.

Dave B.
Just found the same item at http://www.go2marine.com/g2m/action/GoB ... arine.html

Priced at $5.50 each plus shipping; choice of white or black. There's an extra handling charge if your order is less than $20. If you buy 4, you can actually pay a smaller total than if you buy only 3! The extras will make great stocking stuffers at the next Burgman Christmas party.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
4DThinker said:
<snip>
If you just want to carry water on a trip, I've seen some water-bottle frame/holders that could be mounted in the trunk or off the backrest or anywhere you wouldn't bump it.

Dave B.
The upper gloveboxen on the 650 will hold commercially available water bottles of about 22 oz (I'm working from memory here). Get the ones with the pull-up top and you're set.
Not much help for stowing cups of coffee though -- that's a pretty slick setup you've got there.

Rusty J
[greenbunny]
AN650K5 -"Wild Blue"
[/greenbunny]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts