·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I didn't see your thread before I posted mine. I like the concept. Dry weight is 203.9 lbs. Very similar to the Honda Cub. Wonder if it has underseat storage. I think the engine displacement is to small for the traffic here. Probably would handle dirt roads really good.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Just another small, efficient underbone. Those are common in that size in large parts of the world. Pretty much competitors, & in some cases successors of the Cub.
The only problem with them for me is that in the U.S. a bike that tops at 45 mph is of limited utility due to overall speeds on even many surface streets.
My SYM's notably faster and more practical for me.
Nice bike though, I'd give it a hard look given the garage space and availability. It'd be fun for bumping down fire roads.
On a (very) related note there's a lot of chatter about the Honda Cross Cub heading this way. Probably cost more than that but using the Grom/Monkey/Super Cub motor it'll be well supported & should be able to hit and hold 50-55 mph, & if ya wanna mod it there's a lot available for that motor.
Not sure if I like that or the Super Cub (in blue, not the 2020 red) better.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I looked at these a lot today on line. 155 mpg, 63mph, 213 lbs, 30.5" seat height.
There is a definite 'empty spot', like ZERO, for a dual sport moped. It's really starting to get my interest, growing on me, but we'll probably never see one stateside anyway.
Not everyone lives in the urban jungle with 80 mph 6 lane highways. There isn't even a stop and go light in my town and for 2 hours north of here. Different toys for different demographics I guess.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
My requirements are an easy speed of 50 MPH and be stable. I live 7 miles out of town and the speed limit is 40 MPH but everyone tail gates you at 50 MPH. For that speed it is why there is NOT an Electric City Slicker in my stable. It has the range but not the speed.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Really Dave, around here everybody tailgates ya at whatever speed.

My requirements are an easy speed of 50 MPH and be stable. I live 7 miles out of town and the speed limit is 40 MPH but everyone tail gates you at 50 MPH. For that speed it is why there is NOT an Electric City Slicker in my stable. It has the range but not the speed.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as others. Here in the USA, we might think that a low speed runabout is okay to have in certain scenarios, but honestly I don't see how that could be the case. I've lived in NYC and I've lived in Oklahoma and everything in between. Let's go though some scenarios:
1) Deep inner city. Tight traffic, frequent stop lights and stop signs at nearly every corner where cars can't get up to even 40mph before having to again slow to a stop. Verdict: Yes, very possible application.
2) Small town where folks drive slowly in the town limits. Verdict: Yes, so long as the bike only stays in town and doesn't venture out on the highway to the next town. No if it does, as I have discovered many "country" drivers love to fill the gap by flying along at warp speed to get to where they need to be regardless of posted speed limits, often 10 to even 20 mph above if there is a straight line of sight to deduce no cops are around.
3) Residential "back roads" that almost never have car drivers hurrying to their residences. Verdict: Yes, until one of them shows up behind you, but easy to pull over provided there's no loose gravel on the shoulders.
4) County and state highways between towns and cities. Verdict: Maybe. It all depends on how full of traffic they are. Even in rural TX, OK, KS, AR & MO you could see 65 mph (or 75 in TX) speed limits between rural settlements say 10 miles or so apart and if you rode at those speeds, nearly 100% of the cars that came upon you from behind just got bigger and bigger in your rear view mirror. And again, you'd have to pull over.
5) A slightly urbanized or suburban environment filled with long stretches between stop lights, housing developments and industrial and office parks. Think most of Phoenix or Dallas. Verdict: NO. Too many rowdy commuters and soccer moms wanting to hurry to their next appointments, jobs, or just back home. Posted speed limits can read 35 to 45 mph but if you do that you'll get tailgated, road raged or worse.

So for me, motorbikes under 400cc aren't going to cut it in just about any scenario (save dense urban downtown Manhattan or SF) here in the United States. Urban Mumbai, Singapore, Paris or Madrid and even outside cities in those countries maybe. But not here.
My two cents.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There are thousands of people that use a 50 cc scoot everyday and have no problem.
If it's not enough power for 'you', get a bigger, faster bike. If you are fine with 60-65 mph, ride and be happy, because after all that's what it's all about, or I may as well take my car.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Most people I met with mopeds complain about the lack of power. Again, it all has to do with the application of where they’re used.
In Honolulu, many folks used 50cc mopeds to get around the neighborhoods. But when I commuted to work on Kalanianaole Hwy (a real wide boulevard) to an area miles away, 50cc just didn’t cut it. I rode an SYM DD50 that was bored out to 66cc (technically illegal, but not visible from the outside) and was able to keep up with the 55mph de facto traffic (in a 35mph zone no less). But true 50cc bikes (particularly the cheap mainland Chinese junk ones) just couldn’t hack it and had to be restricted to the bicycle lanes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just another small, efficient underbone. Those are common in that size in large parts of the world. Pretty much competitors, & in some cases successors of the Cub.
The only problem with them for me is that in the U.S. a bike that tops at 45 mph is of limited utility due to overall speeds on even many surface streets.
My SYM's notably faster and more practical for me.
Nice bike though, I'd give it a hard look given the garage space and availability. It'd be fun for bumping down fire roads.
On a (very) related note there's a lot of chatter about the Honda Cross Cub heading this way. Probably cost more than that but using the Grom/Monkey/Super Cub motor it'll be well supported & should be able to hit and hold 50-55 mph, & if ya wanna mod it there's a lot available for that motor.
Not sure if I like that or the Super Cub (in blue, not the 2020 red) better.
I commuted in Chicago suburbs with a CT110 for a few years. Great fun. It would do about 45-48mph tops with my 50# lighter body. It was actually quite practical. Now I live in the country and 55-60 cruising speed is necessary so I would have to mod it. I believe that motor supports a 190cc kit and with the 4 spd semi auto dual range, would probably be enough to get me to secondary roads.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh ! to be a college guy again....this would be perfect for getting around campus during the day .....and running dark stealth from the Student Union at closing with a coed holding tight...ahh !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts