Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all, my name is Travis and I am located in NYC. Any NYC guys lmk.

I just purchased a project:
2006 Burgman 400 with 7200 miles for $400 but engine is probably shot. Has a molassi variator and a Gpr exhaust which needs to be repaired with a TIG welder.
Previous owner stated he was on the highway when the bike just shut down on him. Later on told me he was low on oil and now the bike smokes.
Brought it home and threw a battery on it but wouldn’t start due to a F1 code on dash. I’ll have to get you guys the exact code. Keep posted.

I’m kinda a gear head.
I have an E36 BMW drift car and love burning rubber sideways. I’m also a big Honda goldwing fan. I have a 97 goldwing 1500.

But getting back to the bike. If anyone has a used engine lmk.
I’m planing on stripping the motor apart and see what’s really going on.

Thank you all again for your support.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
welcome! this is a great source for finding parts, and what fits what, but I think we may have reached our limit on getting a burgy to drift:grin

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome and just remember 1999-2006 used different parts and engine then the 2007 and up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome! this is a great source for finding parts, and what fits what, but I think we may have reached our limit on getting a burgy to drift/forums/images/BurgmanUSA_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
No trike kits to make these burgies drift lol

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not sure but the 2007 has a different displacement then the 99-06. Enough differences to where we have two separate forum topics. I've read the 99-06 had some oil consumption that needed to be checked periodically.

"The 2007 Burgman 400 used a new 400cc engine that featured DOHC, liquid cooling, fuel injection and 4-valves."

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Welcome to the BUSA forum from sunny Arizona, Ndlax59.
Native Ny’er here. Grew up in Astoria, Queens, but have by now lived in locations all over the US. Not a fan of the colder weather.
There are a few more NYC members like Louienycbx up in the Bronx.
Nice B400 you have there. Just the perfect bike for the city. Right size, reaches the right speed.
Unfortunately the current administration running things over there has made it clear that they don’t like motorbikes as was brought to our attention by the AMA.
You might also want to add your location to your profile over on the left under your name, that way when you move on to other threads you can get more info tailored to your location when discussing meet-ups, rallies, parts & repair prices, good shops, etc.

Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the BUSA forum from sunny Arizona, Ndlax59.
Native Ny’er here. Grew up in Astoria, Queens, but have by now lived in locations all over the US. Not a fan of the colder weather.
There are a few more NYC members like Louienycbx up in the Bronx.
Nice B400 you have there. Just the perfect bike for the city. Right size, reaches the right speed.
Unfortunately the current administration running things over there has made it clear that they don’t like motorbikes as was brought to our attention by the AMA.
You might also want to add your location to your profile over on the left under your name, that way when you move on to other threads you can get more info tailored to your location when discussing meet-ups, rallies, parts & repair prices, good shops, etc.

Again, welcome to the forum.
This cold weather is brutal, can’t even work on the scooter lol
Awesome I’d love to eventually meet up with some other knuckleheads.
Also I will try and figure out the location thing. These forums take a little while to understand.

·
Administrator
17,424 Posts
This cold weather is brutal, can’t even work on the scooter lol
Awesome I’d love to eventually meet up with some other knuckleheads.
Also I will try and figure out the location thing. These forums take a little while to understand.
Welcome to the forums. Fixed location for ya. :wink

The Burgman 400 came to USA in 2002 so you need 2002-2006 parts for this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’re the man. Thank you so much. I’m going to work on the burg today and see what code comes up. It’s about 46 today so I’ll light up a cigar and tinker around.

·
Administrator
17,424 Posts
My son has my 2000 BMW 540i Touring Wagon. A lot of mods to that 4.4L engine. Next step is a LS7 swap.... Lighter, simpler tuning, drop in kits and more power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son has my 2000 BMW 540i Touring Wagon. A lot of mods to that 4.4L engine. Next step is a LS7 swap.... Lighter, simpler tuning, drop in kits and more power.
Oh man that is going to be one sweet ride. My next project will deff be a wagon. Sleeper mode with electronic dump tubes... oh baby!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I pulled the intake out and didn’t like what I seen. Looked to be a aquarium sponge Matt filter material folded across the intake. Big holes in the material not really collecting any dust and I found sealant all over the top end. Looks like someone had maybe did a rebuild or maybe just started putting sealant on everything because it was leaking.
I also pulled the carbs off, tomorrow I’ll try and open the head and really see what’s up
Iattcehd some pics for your viewing pleasure.

I also did check the code I couldn’t find the plug on the 2006. I seen some videos of 07’s and it was by the dash. Any help?

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome aboard! Hey, I don’t know nothin from nothin (but I’m not admitting that to my wife), but I think you’d be miles and dollars ahead buying a different scoot. Sounds like lots of money and work. If you’re patient and/or willing to do a fly n ride, they can be bought very inexpensively with low mileage. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome aboard! Hey, I don’t know nothin from nothin (but I’m not admitting that to my wife), but I think you’d be miles and dollars ahead buying a different scoot. Sounds like lots of money and work. If you’re patient and/or willing to do a fly n ride, they can be bought very inexpensively with low mileage. Good luck.
Oh no I’m not spending no more than $100 on this bike. I’ll do a new Piston and rings maybe valve seals and that’s it. If it blows up again so be it.
But I’ll open up the head and see what’s actually wrong with it. Maybe it’s unfixable. Then I’ll part out the scooter and make back my $400

·
Registered
187 Posts
O.k., I hope that works. And as I said, I am not a gearhead myself, but from following these threads, I’ve deduced that parts are sometimes only available through Suzuki, not always. Ery muxh aftermarket availability. That means money. Also, if they need to come here from Japan, it could eat up the best part of your 100.00 just for shipping and take awhile. I hope you find good news when you open it up, and it is an easy fix. You’ll have no problems selling it for parts, though Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O.k., I hope that works. And as I said, I am not a gearhead myself, but from following these threads, I’ve deduced that parts are sometimes only available through Suzuki, not always. Ery muxh aftermarket availability. That means money. Also, if they need to come here from Japan, it could eat up the best part of your 100.00 just for shipping and take awhile. I hope you find good news when you open it up, and it is an easy fix. You’ll have no problems selling it for parts, though Cheers!
Thank you for your response. You’re right most parts will have to be ordered from Suzuki. I’m surprised that there isn’t much info on these bikes, not many aftermarket parts, and it seems like there’s not many tutorials for the 2006 an400. I’ve been trying to find a rebuild video but coming up with nothing, maybe I’ll have to make one. Once I get it fixed and running I’ll break it all down again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not looking good after I pulled the head cover off. I found lots of sealant and also found the cam chain tensioner guide boots loose. The bolt was actually just sitting on top of the threads. But, i will dig deep little by little and keep posted.
Also, the exhaust was broken at a weld repair. Looks like some used a mig welded on stainless so I’ll hit it with the tig welder.
Just purchased a service manual since the free ones seem to be for the 07 and up not 06. Some pics for pleasure

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dig deeper. Pulled the cam head and piston head off. Found the cam shaft journal cam loose and was rocking the cam shaft around. The journals were all eaten away and unrepairable. Just purchased a used head off eBay for $63 bucks and the cylinder wall had slight scoring. Very slight, maybe some emery cloth or very light sandpaper will do. If I need to replace the head in the future I can just pull it all again no problem.
I was shocked after calling a few moto repair shops that they don’t machine smalller heads due to the cost of the equipment. The guy told me it would be cheaper to buy a new head at $300 then his service fee.
So now I’m on the look out for a used cylinder wall and piston. If anyone has one lmk.
Added some pics of the carnage.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been cleaning things to get ready for the new piston kit. Bought a newer used cam head, honed the head, cleaned valves and cleaned all the sealant off the heads.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts