Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm Travis from Fuquay Varina, NC. I don't have a Burgman yet but am considering picking one up pretty soon. My current ride is a '13 V-Strom 650. I've been riding motorcycles um.... 26 years or so now. Mostly metric cruisers, one Harley Street Bob about 5-6 years ago, a couple of enduro style bikes. Seems like I've slowly been moving towards smaller displacement bikes as time goes by. I still miss my old Yamaha XT-225. Recently the Burgman 200 caught my eye. More my interest, really. I'm not in love with the look but I'm interested in how capable everyone seems to say the 200 is. I figure I can look around this site some and learn some more about the Burgman line and figure out where to go from there. Thanks for having me. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello Travis,

Welcome to the forum. I joined about a year ago with a purchase of a used 2004 Burgman 400. We just moved to the Asheville, NC area but lived in the Raleigh area for 22 years so Fuquay Varina is familiar.

Like you I have some interest in the 200 Burgman but there not a lot of reviews out yet. Seems like a nice ride especially around town.

I can say the 400 Burgman is a great compromise ride between interstate riding and around town. It feels a little under powered at times on the interstate with a top speed of around 85mph but feels a little big around town with it's 460 lbs or so wet weight.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That's right, target roads as i put it:

650 - Interstates, Freeways, very big Cities commute.
400 - Inter-Cities locals, Suburbs, big Cities commute.
200 - Inter-Town locals,Town Suburbs, City commute.

125-150 - around the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current commute to work is about 31-35 miles one-way depending on which route I take. I can take back-roads and it's about 35 miles with a speed limit that is 55 mph about 60% of the way and 45 mph the remaining 40% of the way. From what I've read about the Burgman 200 it would be fine for that kind of riding. The most "extreme" route to/from work is when I use the toll road. It has a speed limit of 70 mph on it and I travel on it about 11 miles. Sounds like that route might be pushing the capability of the Burgman 200, but maybe doable every now and then when traffic is light. I think my next step is to see one (Burgman 200) in person.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm in North-East Raleigh. and had my Burgman 400 for about half a year now. It's a lot of fun to ride. A little different from the bikes that i used to own and ride but the fun factor is the same.

I commute about 25 miles each way and i think the power of the 400 is good enough for that purpose. Have seen the 200 but have not had the chance to ride it yet. I think it would be pushing it too much to ride it in the interstate.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Welcome! Good luck with your choice! Here's my $.02, you could pick up a good used 400 and save some $$ and you could ride wherever you want. The 400 tops out around 85-90 mph depending on load and tailwind. :rolleyes:
Ride safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. I'm in North-East Raleigh. and had my Burgman 400 for about half a year now. It's a lot of fun to ride. A little different from the bikes that i used to own and ride but the fun factor is the same.

I commute about 25 miles each way and i think the power of the 400 is good enough for that purpose. Have seen the 200 but have not had the chance to ride it yet. I think it would be pushing it too much to ride it in the interstate.

Ride safe.
Thanks. Hey, I used to live up in north Raleigh off of Durant Road in the Durant Trace neighborhood. We're practically neighbors. :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome from the desert of So. Cal. around Palm Springs. I agree with Wes find a good used 400. I put 46k+ miles on my 07 before selling it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks. Hey, I used to live up in north Raleigh off of Durant Road in the Durant Trace neighborhood. We're practically neighbors. :)
Bought a house here 2 years ago. I used to live in an apartment in Morrisville.

let me know if you want to ride and we can go together.

:D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Shag67 I would do what Wes_Ingram suggested and get a used 400 for about half of what a new 200 would cost. If after riding the 400 a while and you still want a 200 you could probably sell the 400 and get most, if not all of what you paid for it back. If you buy a 200 you probably would have to buy new. Then if you decided you didn't want to keep it you would lose a lot selling it. There's plenty of 400s used but the 200 is so new it would be hard find one used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome, I'm not here often but happened to see this and wanted to say hi. I started out here when I was looking for a ride and the Burg 650 was the most comfortable of the ones I tried. I finally went with a 2007 Vee by the way and I'm close to Monroe, NC.

Too hot for me to ride so I'm actually selling my Vee :(

Good luck and have fun.

George

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Safe riding regardless of which bike you get.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome and aloha from Hawaii.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts