Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a senior motorcyclist with over 40 years of experience. Have owned many bikes including a GW (which I think is an awesome bike by the way). Now that I'm getting older I feel I want to get away from heavy bikes and am considering trading my Honda VTX1300 on a Burgman 650. I still desire to ride 2 up with my wife occasionally but most riding will be single with a bunch of buddies still riding full size MCs. I will be test riding a Burgy shortly to see if I like scooters but am a little concerned about keeping up with my buddies on a scooter.
Any feedback would be appreciated in helping me with my decision. :)
Otisco Kid

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Welcome. You won't have any problem at all keeping up with anyone. It is more a mini-Goldwing than anything else I have ridden. The original owner of mine was coming off of a Goldwing and he farkled it out to make it as close to one as possible. Of the 15 prior bikes I had (Honda, including Goldwing, BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki) it is my favorite (old and short inseam may have something to do with it).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad to have you with us, Otisco Kid. This is a great place to find out anything you'd care to know about the Burgman; I've learned all sorts of things which weren't in the manual. I'm happy you're here - it's always great to have a fresh voice in the mix!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You don't have to worry about keeping up with your bud's more like slowing down to wait on them!!:D You will be surprised

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Welcome to BUSA for Los Angeles.

Top speed on the 650 is over 110mph for many riders. 0-60 mph in a touch over 6 seconds stock. 15 seconds in the quarter mile. Will that keep up with your friends?

(Please no one write me that I'm off a second or a couple mph. This are just approximations and variable on rider size, windscreen, etc.)

The old thinking that scooters are slow, underpowered machines, is dead wrong when it comes to the modern Maxis. The Burgman 650 and BMW, in particular, have NO problem keeping up with anything riding somewhat close to the speed limit. The pick up, handling, top speed, can match the big bikes on your average ride. You'll just be doing it with less weight, less work and a lot more comfort. So just buy and enjoy the ride. : )

·
Registered
230 Posts
welcome Otisco Kid Mini Goldwing ...lol .I have I friend I ride with some times who has a GL1800 Goldwing and he hates me calling my Bergman a mini Goldwing. He asks me before we go for a ride " your not bringing that scooter are you " .......my answer "what you mean the mini gold wing " :)....what are bike friends for if not to rib each other about there bikes

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
welcome Otisco Kid Mini Goldwing ...lol .I have I friend I ride with some times who has a GL1800 Goldwing and he hates me calling my Bergman a mini Goldwing. He asks me before we go for a ride " your not bringing that scooter are you " .......my answer "what you mean the mini gold wing " :)....what are bike friends for if not to rib each other about there bikes
Lol, I call the Burgman 400 my "Goldwing Nano". Sure feels like a small touring bike.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome to the forum Otisco Kid.

Your background sounds similar to mine. I've been riding for about 48 years - since I was 17 with only a few years when I didn't have a ride. I've owned three Harley's in the past 20 years before buying the Burgman. The 650 Burgman is the scooter that isn't. I think of mine as a step-through motorcycle with an automatic transmission.

With a bad back that doesn't seem to be aging well I had to give up my 2001 Harley Electra Glide. I couldn't manage to get my leg over the back rest pain-free - and I needed that back rest in order to ride any distance without back pain. A conundrum as they say! So I sold it and bought a Yamaha Majesty 400 thinking I was set - but I felt something was missing - a smoother engine - speed - protection from the wind (the stock Majesty windshield is crap) - enough room to stick my feet somewhere comfortable - better leg room to stretch out a bit - etc. It all added up to back pain for anything longer than an hour or so of riding it. I spotted a 2008 650 Burgman Exec at the local motor-sport dealer - a salesman offered to let me take it for a ride and I took him up on it. I couldn't get over the major difference between the Majesty and the Burgman. That thing rocked! It still does! The rest is history - as they say. And with a different backrest I can ride for hours at a time with little pain.

I don't feel like I gave up anything. In fact I ride the Burgman more than I did the Harley which I only rode 1500 miles on it the last two years I had it. I put that much on the Burgman the first 3 months I had it. I'm retired so I don't commute. All my riding is to and from the golf course (yes I golf) - hardware store - grocery store - etc etc. In good weather its my first option.

Don't worry about keeping up with the pack - you might even find yourself getting impatient with some of the bigger and slower ones and pass them. The 650 has enough power and handling to keep up with anything short of a determined sport-bike rider. The only shortfall with the Burgman is the suspension. It doesn't have a lot of travel which can make for a choppy ride on rough roads. It has plenty of speed - climbs hills with ease - and I've got plenty of hills around here to test that.

There are shortcomings with the 650. I miss not having cruise control - radio - and self canceling turn signals would also be nice. And the nice mellow Screaming Eagle touring mufflers sounded so good. The Burgman simply whirs quietly along. Some day I might fit it with an aftermarket slip on muffler. The 650 also has a set of the best mirrors I've ever used on anything with 2 wheels - bar none. And if you get an executive model they also fold in for tight parking. I use that feature all the time.

And no - I'm not a Suzuki salesman!:D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I know what you mean about missing cruise control and a radio. I use earbuds on my iPhone to provide audio entertainment. Because the earbuds themselves block out a lot of ambient noise, I can run the audio much lower and still hear the sounds I need to from the outside world.

My yen for a cruise control will be sated with a Rostra as soon as I can afford one. Sorry, but I don't know of a good substitute for the Screaming Eagles.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sincerely appreciate the feedback here. I plan on test driving a Burgman in the near future. I'll keep the forum aware of whether or not I become an owner.
To ScooterManiac....I am in the Denver area. We have motorcycled as far west as Glenwood Springs...any further west than that and my wife prefers the car!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I am in the Denver area. We have motorcycled as far west as Glenwood Springs...any further west than that and my wife prefers the car!
Too bad, as y'all are missing out on some awesome rides. She may just change her mind once you have a Burgman!;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
They still let you take a test drive in CO? Cool! Best of luck in choosing something that works well for both you and the wife.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After test driving a new 650 Burgman I decided I'm just not a scooter guy. Probably trying to teach an old dog new tricks! The foot platform is higher than most motorcycles and everything is done with your hands. I felt like my feet would fall asleep on me!
I will admit it handled nice...but I did not feel like my whole body was part of the scooter like I do with a bike. I think I'm going to stick with my MC. When I'm too old to ride it...I'm too old to ride!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out as well as you'd hoped. Glad you found that out before having to lay down the long green though. Best of luck to you!

I've got to say that the biggest hurdle I had to overcome was realizing that the left hand lever does NOT work the clutch!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My hands figured out what to do OK. My feet couldn't quite adjust to doing nothing!
I know my riding days are numbered....however some of my buddies are still riding at 72 and they have 5 years on me. When riding a MC gets to be too much for me I'll just have to adjust to not riding a MC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts