Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new foam grips came in and I want to get them put on and try them out. My dealer is 40 miles away and when I picked up the grips I was going to buy some grip glue to put them on with. The parts manager told me to save my money and use some of my wife's hair spray. Said it works just as good. So I didn't buy the grip glue.

Well, my wife tells me she doesn't use hair spray. Anybody got any other ideas for something I might have around the house? I want something that will hold buy not weld them on so I can never get them off again.

What do you use?

Buzz

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I always use Automotive Goop, which I have in the garage. It holds very well and stays flexible.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NYBubba said:
Buy a can of hair spray! :D
Nice! Simple, direct, and only costs about $1.98.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:eek:gre:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kev, I'll PM ya when I get them on and take a ride with them.

Buzz

·
Registered
19 Posts
Foam Grips

If these are like the foam grips I have used in the past, you don't need anything except hot water. They would tear if you tried to put them on cold, so you soak them in really warm water and they get plyable enough to put over the original grips. Once on they aren't going anywhere. They are about $12.00 for a pair.

If you are talking about a completely new grip made of foam I would use the hairspray if an adhesive is recommended.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK! I broke down and caughed up the $1.04 for a can of hair spray. Went out to the garage to put the new grips on and ran into my second problem. Whoever put these bikes together has never heard of a torque wrench. The screw in both ends of the bar are welded in place. I couldn't budge them. I was afraid of stripping the screw head and then I would be in a world of hurt.

Sprayed them with WD40 and will try again tonight, but I don't think that will do the trick. Whodathunkit!

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Buzz, do you have an "Impact driver". It's a heavy steel handle that holds different sizes of bitts. You get it in place, very firmly, on the screw head. Than you strike the end of the handle with a hammer. This forces the bitt into the screw head whilst (I love using that word) an internal mechanism turns the bitt, ususally loosening the most incalcitrant screws with one hit. If you don't have one, I advise you to go to your nearest auto supply and get one. Working with bikes, you'll need it sooner or later.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Getting weights off handle bar.

I had problems with mine coming loose all the time. The only way I could get it tight enough was to turn the weight and not the screw. It makes sense turning the weight while turning the screw would help. Also you can get a rubber ratchet from sears or home depot and turn the weight that way. I used my gloved hand and went as tight as I could go, and they haven't came loose since.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wes, no I don't have an impact driver but I suppose I better go out and buy one. These grips are starting to get expensive.

There's no chance that using the impact driver will strip out the head of the screw and still not get it loose is there? That would not be good.

I do have a screw extractor set for my drill, but I know that would wreck the screw head and the drill may not even be strong enought to do the job.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Buzz, there is always the slight chance that it won't work but, if it doesn't work with an inpact driver, you're prolly looking at the drill and extracter anyhow. Make sure the impact driver is set to turn the right way, hold it as firmly as possible into the screw head and hit it firmly with a hammer, I've very rarely found a screw that wouldn't capitulate to this treatment. I use a copper hammer which won't damage the tool handle.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sometimes (if you ain't got a proper impact driver) a well fitting screwdriver, preferably with the metal coming through to the handle end - can be given a sharp blow which may help ease matters - sort of gives the threads a shock! :wink: (nothing to lose). :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Try turning the bar end weights first (counter clockwise), that may loosen the screws enough to come out easily with just a regular screwdriver.

If you can't turn them by hand, wrapping them thickly in tape to prevent scratches and then using a monkey wrench, Vise Grips, etc. may work. Or, those rubber strap wrenches aren't too expensive if you don't already have one.

Good luck.

[Oops. I see Scooterman55 already suggested this one. Great minds think alike.]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK folks. Here's what I learned. I got the bar ends off. The right one finally gave after the WD40 and a lot of elbow grease by my musclebound son. The left one was completely hopeless. Brian suggested trying to turn the bar end itself with a vise grip, monkey wrench etc. I have a good strap wrench and tightened that up on the bar end and started twisting for all I was worth. The bar end finally came off, with the screw still tight in the end. I don't know if the 05 model is different from the 03 or 04, but the screw in the end is not intended to come out. As I found on the right side, I finally loosened the screw and the bar end pulled out easily. The screw when tightened pushes out on a rubber ring about 1/2" wide inside the handlebar tightening it very snug and keeping the bar end very secure. Loosening that screw takes the pressure off that rubber ring, allowing you to just pull the bar end out. Since I couldn't break the screw loose on the left side, I just kept turning the bar end with the strap wrench and it finally worked its way out. Once I had both bar ends off, I ended up having to cut the old grips off with a box knife. Used alcohol to clean the left handlebar end and didn't need to on the throttle end as there is a plastic sleeve over the handlebar end and it is completely clean.
The hair spray worked to muscle the left foam grip on and I just used the strap wrench to twist the bar end back in. It was hard going because that rubber ring was puffed out, but it finally went on. Now it's as tight as it ever was. The right side was another story. With that plastic sleeve over the handlebar end, it was a bitch to try and slide the grip on. That alone took 20 minutes and It's still not completely on. At the end of the plastic sleeve, at the starter and kill switch end, there is a ridge which sticks up and the new grip has to be pulled up and over that ridge. I tried to get the grip end over that lip but finally gave up. It's after 1 AM and I'm soaked with sweat from the hot garage and have to get up in 4 hours so gave up for tonight. Wanted to get this posted before I hit the fart sack. I will try it again tomorrow night. It's almost completely on and is on far enough to get the bar end back in. It easily slipped in with the pressure off that rubber ring. When it was in, I tightened the screw and it is as good and tight as before. All I have to do tomorrow night is finishing up getting the grip over that plastic lip.

Obviously I haven't been able to take it for ride yet with the new grips, but just sitting on the bike and grabbing them, I can feel they are going to be more comfortable on a long ride. Looking forward to testing them out.
If I can't get the end of that grip over the plastic lip, I can't push the grip high enough to get my O ring in anymore. Also I'm concerned about moisture and dirt getting in behind that lip and messing things up, so I'm not going to give up. **** the plastic lips, Full speed ahead and all that crap.

Hope this is understandable. As I have said before, Mr. Goodwrench I'm not but I've tried to describe it as best I can.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Buzz said:
...The bar end finally came off, with the screw still tight in the end. I don't know if the 05 model is different from the 03 or 04, but the screw in the end is not intended to come out. As I found on the right side, I finally loosened the screw and the bar end pulled out easily. The screw when tightened pushes out on a rubber ring about 1/2" wide inside the handlebar tightening it very snug and keeping the bar end very secure. Loosening that screw takes the pressure off that rubber ring, allowing you to just pull the bar end out. ...
Yep; the '03 and '04 are the same.

On mine, turning the bar end weights will loosen or tighten the screws, depending on the direction you turn, because the rubber nut's friction on the inside of the bar holds it -- and the screw -- from turning with the bar end weight, up until the point that the rubber nut has shrunk enough to loose friction. At that time I can usually slip the weight out, but if not I am then able to use a screwdriver on the screw.

Yours must have been really stuck if turning it (in the right direction, I assume) didn't loosen it. Glad you were able to eventually get it out, even if it was a bit of a sweat job.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The foam grips are finally on. Had to grind down the plastic ridge all the way around the plastic throttle sleeve on the right side, but now the grip goes on all the way. Can no longer use my O-ring but looks like the Vista Cruise was in my forecast anyway. I won't know how the grips feel on anything over a mile until this weekend. Will let all know how they feel later. Thanks again for all the help and advise.

·
Registered
484 Posts
What size are the bars on the 400 and 650? 7/8" or 1"? Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[
quote="wilythek"]What size are the bars on the 400 and 650? 7/8" or 1"? Thanks.
[/quote]

The 650 is 7/8" and I'm quite sure the 400 is the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts