Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed off to the doctors office this morning. It was a cool 35 degrees when I left the house. Knowing I'd freeze my butt off, I left plenty of time to stop off ever 30-40 miles, have a cup o'coffee and continue on my way. As I got to the south side of Nashville, I moved into the HOV lane and started passing some traffic. All of a sudden, engine power drops and I lose about 10 MPH. It picks right back up, and 5 seconds later it drops again. I start moving over toward the right lanes and I hear a loud pop. First thought was, there goes the CVT belt. I get over on the side of the interstate and notice the engine is dead. Won't start at all. Doing some inspection ... EEK! Antifreeze is slowly dripping down on the underside of the bike. Not good. I'm standing on the side of the interstate, freezing my butt off with a dead ride.

Time to call some help. Ooops! Don't have my cell phone on me. So I stand there for about 20 minutes hoping someone will pull over to assist me. Just as I start to walk toward the next exit, a state trooper pulls up. He lets me use his cell phone to call someone to come get me. While making the call, a lady pulls up behind the trooper. She had seen me but been unable to get over in time so she'd gone to the next exit, turned around, turned around at the next exit again and was coming to my rescue. Turns out that Cindy works a Suzuki / Yamaha dealership that had just opened up next to their Honda dealership and is a rider too.

After thanking the Trooper, Cindy carried me over to the dealer where she works. Soon as the service manager Tim got in, we went over and loaded my dead Burgman into the back of his truck and hauled it over to the shop. No charge for a tow. They bumped my bike ahead of a few others since it's my primary transportation. I should be hearing from them late today or tomorrow on the prognosis.

A big thanks to Cindy and Tim at Yamaha - Suzuki of Cool Springs in Franklin, TN.

Alas ... Burgmanless again. :cry:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

Sorry to hear that the 400 broke down. It sounds like this may be a first, so we'll all be anxious to hear the outcome. It is truly outstanding that you got that kind of assistance from a local dealership. I wish there were more of them like that!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can think of one good thing out of it ....

My oil change light just came on yesterday. At least I'll get a free oil change and filter out of the ordeal. :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just looking at their website. They have online parts fiche with listings for 2003 and 2004 models of the 400 and 650 Burgmans. Haven't dug thru and seen if there is actually any difference in the fiche yet.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bill

Firstly, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune but you were lucky Cindy was around - thats a real neighbourly act she carried out - even if it did drum up some business.

I have to say though the symptoms do not sound good but will refrain from being the harbinger of doom and I hope the damage is minor and that you are still under warrranty.

Good luck buddy! :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd ridden over 50 miles this morning with one stop for coffee with the last 5 or so miles being on the Interstate at 60+ speeds. Just before getting on the Interstate I'd been in slow traffic (< 10 MPH) for about a mile and had looked at the temp guage and it was reading like it normally does with the indicator almost straight up. Everything seemed to be running well until the power dropped. Under a minute and the engine was gone. Very little warning. Had just enough speed to get over to the right hand side of the road across 3 lanes in rush hour traffic. No idea what caused it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't sound good to me either Norman. Knowing how long it sometimes takes to get parts, I might be without my ride for quite a bit. Not looking forward to going back to 4 wheels. At least I'm still under the origional factory warranty and also have the 4 year extended too.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
At least I'm still under the origional factory warranty and also have the 4 year extended too.
Thats good news - and you can seek solace in the warmth of your truck for a couple of weeks.

Well the list of non -riding Burgman owners just grows and grows. :wink:

The Burgmans here come with a 2 year warranty and there is no push on extendeds - I may just enquire! :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NormanB said:
Thats good news - and you can seek solace in the warmth of your truck for a couple of weeks.
Warm? ... yes. Comfortable? ... no. Looks like I have to go spend a few bucks and buy a battery for the Ford Ranger. Not my day for vehicles. :?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bill,

That's a heck of a situation to be in, and I'm sorry that you'll be in suspense regarding the prognosis for a little while. At least you are safe and the bike is caring hands.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Russell. I'm glad the rear wheel didn't lock up when the engine died or else I might have been much worse off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
dealer comes to the rescue

:shock: I was shocked at hearing one of these Burgman's went down. I waiting to hear the report on it, Glad your O.K. & didn't get hurt. :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was shocked too at wearing out an engine before going thru my first set of tires. :p The bike only has a little over 4k on the odometer. Sure didn't expect it to have problems this early. It did break down at a good spot ... only a few miles from a dealer.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
First -I am glad your OK, and if not for the break down we could call you lucky, I am sure if I broke down there would be no Cindy around here. :(
I guess there always has to be a first , but lets hope it's minor.. :)
Like everyone else I will be waiting to here what happened...
PS. Just went over to there site, prices seem in line, I have book marked it. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pauljo said:
Suzuki really planned this poorly. They should have sold the "bad" Burgman to someone who was not destined to become a famous moderator on the popular BurgmanUSA forums! :lol:
Sure you didn't mean infamous moderator? :) Suzuki could make it up to me by sponsering me on a long ride .... say 5 years, 250k miles (min), on a 650 Executive. :wink:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK Bill, really sorry to hear about the 400. Good thing you are under warranty. I didn't realize that there was an extended warranty available, but then I'm not into the actual dealing to purchase phase yet.

Rub

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Randy said:
I guess there always has to be a first
... and it had to be me.

I seriously doubt it's going to be minor. That nice *pop* it made and it leaking coolant are not good signs.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bill, I have worked on enough bikes in my time to have a good idea of what happened.
But in 60+years I have also learned to shut up (sometimes).
All that really matters is you "walked" away. :)

1 - 20 of 278 Posts