Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Ironbutt Association has scooter categories now. Not sure I understand why they had to distinguish scooters from motorcycles. I understand a category for a smaller displacement though.

Attachments

Reactions: Lilje

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
They need to have a Cinnamon Roll Award .... Look like Pillsbury Dough Boy getting groceries three times a week.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Planned this out a few years back. I have a route planned out to ride from here to Casper WY and stay the night. That is a SaddleSore 1000 in 24 hours as its 1095 miles for leg 1 and about 19 hours without any rest stops, just food and gas.

Then a ride down from Casper WY to Denver CO (4 hours) then burn to Ogden UT (8 hours) for a over night 6 hour sleep and then home (12 hours and a total of 1585 miles for leg 2) for a BunBurner 1500 Silver in 30 hours.

Rest stops are hard to schedule for nap times due to needing 120 volts for my APAP machine. Can not just nap without it and having Angina pain.

About $145 in gas
About $250 for 2 nights hotels
About $115 for the 2 IronButt Cirts.
So about $510 not counting food.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
They need to have a Cinnamon Roll Award .... Look like Pillsbury Dough Boy getting groceries three times a week.
yup, start a mushy butt trophy category, you get a cert if you can't ride to the mail box without a seat cushion etc

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I was visited the Cosmosphere museum in Hutchinson Kansas after visiting my folks in Texas and thought I would stop on the way back to Chicago at a motel. Well I kept driving and kept thinking I would stop at the next exit. Before you knew it, it was after midnight and I was too cheap to pay for a motel room for a few hours. Ended up driving all the way home that night 740 miles. I was on my ST1100 with the 7.4 gallon tank and I was good for almost 300 miles between fill ups. Two interesting facts. That seemed like the shortest night I ever experienced and I wonder if it was traveling east all night. Also I was doing only 55 since it was so dark and many times I would see deer just standing right next to the road. Just standing there checking out the cars right next to the shoulder. Probably sizing up which one to jump in front of.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
In both 2008 and 2009, my buddy ('08 Exec) and I ('07 Exec) rode to Indianapolis, to spend the weekends there watching the MotoGP races. In both years, we did multi-day rides west, and single-day rides back home (Albany, NY, area).

Kind of like @Uncle Fester: the going was good on the way back, we got an early start, and were too cheap to spring for a motel, once we got within a couple of hours of home. I suppose if we were really interested in getting some sort of Iron Butt certificate, we could have gone farther, certainly if we had wanted to include a rest-stop nap or two.

Here's a shot of my Nuvi, shortly after arriving back in my garage, showing the ride home in 2008:

2008-09-16-10-50-25.JPG

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The separate "scooter under 300cc" category makes a little bit of sense to me.
Doing these runs on anything over -- say, 400 cc -- isn't really challenging the bike in a mechanical sense. Get on the bike, ride, refuel, ride again and so on. A regular bike in good condition should get through it without problems, it's just a test of the rider.

300cc and below? On some scooters, that's up to 1/4 of rear tire life and/or variator belt life. And you're running closer to redline than on a larger bike. At that point, it starts being a test of the machine as well. That and you can't just do a couple of legs at 90 MPH to make up for a too-long pit-stop... well, you could, but it'll crush your MPG and you'll have to make it up with more stops (or shell out for an added fuel tank and plumbing and so forth...)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The separate "scooter under 300cc" category makes a little bit of sense to me.
Doing these runs on anything over -- say, 400 cc -- isn't really challenging the bike in a mechanical sense. Get on the bike, ride, refuel, ride again and so on. A regular bike in good condition should get through it without problems, it's just a test of the rider.

300cc and below? On some scooters, that's up to 1/4 of rear tire life and/or variator belt life. And you're running closer to redline than on a larger bike. At that point, it starts being a test of the machine as well. That and you can't just do a couple of legs at 90 MPH to make up for a too-long pit-stop... well, you could, but it'll crush your MPG and you'll have to make it up with more stops (or shell out for an added fuel tank and plumbing and so forth...)
I definitely agree about the "under 300cc" thing. 10years ago I did a Saddle Sore 1000 on my Genuine Buddy 150. I had to stop 22 times for fuel. Top speed on the flat west Texas section of I-10 was about 57 mph. It took me 23 hours and 40 minutes to finish the ride. At the time, I contemplated trying the Bun Burner 1500 but I didn't think it would have possible.

I am currently considering trying another Saddle Sore with a friend, who has never done one. This time, it will be on a bigger bike though.

Howard

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I definitely agree about the "under 300cc" thing. 10years ago I did a Saddle Sore 1000 on my Genuine Buddy 150. I had to stop 22 times for fuel. Top speed on the flat west Texas section of I-10 was about 57 mph. It took me 23 hours and 40 minutes to finish the ride. At the time, I contemplated trying the Bun Burner 1500 but I didn't think it would have possible.

I am currently considering trying another Saddle Sore with a friend, who has never done one. This time, it will be on a bigger bike though.

Howard
On a Buddy 150?! That's commitment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You simply CAN'T talk about iron butt without even mentioning the name...

ED OTTO!

It's just not done, yahear? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts