Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new Burgman 400 a month ago. I have 126 miles on it. I paid $8,700 for it.

I tore several muscles in my left leg because it is too high for me if I stop on a step upward hill (the front comes up).

I'm being offered $3,500 on a trade in from one dealer. Other dealers won't even look at it.

I added:
Suzuki Low Seat
Givi V47 top case
Passenger backrest
Driver backrest

John

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm being offered $3,500 on a trade in from one dealer.
John
Have to be crazy to trade it to a dealer. Don't let them rip you off. What a dealer offers you has nothing to do with resale value.

I don't know man, it doesn't get much lower than a 400. I have a very short inseam and I'm ok. I buy 30" pants but they have tons of extra at the bottom, so I probably have a 27-28" inseam.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can always put it on Ebay with a minimum you think it is worth. You can always do a nationwide search on Cycle Trader to see what other dealers are quoting it for and see how that sounds to you. I am sorry but your add on's wont bring anything so you could take them and sell them separate. I am sorry but this is why no one should buy a motorcycle without a good test ride, if a dealer says no, just walk.

Is your new Burgman a '14 or '15?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The lowest price I see in USA on a new 2014 is $5899. There may be fees on top and there may be negotiation down. But if you offered it at something around or slightly lower w/ a negotiation with your add ons that is about what you are likely to get from a knowledgeable buyer, if there is no damage to yours.

That's better than 3500 and you might sell it on this site at that price and consider what you lost as a learning experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have it listed for sale in this forum. I didn't put an asking price. I wanted to see what I was offered.

John

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If you don't ask price, I can give you $100 for it .

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Bikes as the 400 are to be ridden hard, contrary to posing like the BMW badge. If you run a beemer like this, it will lose 100% of its value in less than no time.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Sorry the Burgman didn't work for you.

KBB retail for a 2014 Burgman 400 is $6000. Once it leaves the lot a vehicle looses a great deal in it's value - this is the biggest reason I don't buy new.

KBB trade-in value is over $4000. This is for my area but I can't believe it is that much lower there. Of coarse most dealers are scum and try to rip you off.

If I were you I would sell the add-on parts separately as they don't really add to the bike's value{sales wise at least}. Separately you might be able to get back most of what you paid and for sure more than selling with the bike.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I purchased a new Burgman 400 a month ago. I have 126 miles on it. I paid $8,700 for it.

I tore several muscles in my left leg because it is too high for me if I stop on a step upward hill (the front comes up).

I'm being offered $3,500 on a trade in from one dealer. Other dealers won't even look at it.

I added:
Suzuki Low Seat
Givi V47 top case
Passenger backrest
Driver backrest

John
As others have mentioned stay away from trading at a dealership or you're gonna get ripped off. I will tell you honestly I have a Honda Helix and its about the lowest bike their is I think. Now I love my Helix but if your goal is freeway travel just understand that it can do it, but with limitations - 75mph is the flat out max its gonna travel which limits your passing abilities and you'll feel the wind from other vehicles more. I ride it on the freeway and neither of the above mentioned things really bother me but they do some people so I am must mentioning them now.

As far as selling yours though - your going to take a loss to some degree most likely. For this reason I usually only buy used bikes, I paid 2800 for my 2008 with 3000 miles on it about 3 years ago. I can't imagine the loss that person who traded it in must have taken, they probably only got 1500 - 2000 bucks for it :(

Just try to sell it out right if your sure its not for you and be patient.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

Hence, the advantage of buying a late model one, with low miles, there are tons of them for sale. Mine was 4 years young when I bought it. It's still a gem :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Before getting my 400 K8 Burger I had from new a Honda Helix, THAT IS LOWER than the Burgman and while I'm happy with the Burgman the lower seat height of the Helix is one thing I miss - also the Burgman is a lot heavier to manoeuvre by pushing, but even at 78 I like it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have been following your posts about your Burgman 400 purchase and attempted sell including the rule about needing a 750cc or larger bike for the Legion. This is all unfortunate and I hate hearing all of this. Makes me feel bad for you. I fear that this is going to be an expensive lesson for you, you should have done more research on this before you made the purchase. Resale on motorcycles is pretty bad right now. There are lots of people who like them, lots who want to buy but they don't have any money. When I was selling my last bike I even had people who wanted me to finance them. It took me over a year before I sold my last motorcycle and then I took less than what the bike was worth. It kind of sucks. Please know that we do care here on Burgman USA. Oh, Thank you for your service. What branch of the service did you serve and in what war?

Doug from Kentucky
USMC 1970-1978
Vietnam 1975 (evacuation of Saigon)

·
Registered
96 Posts

I added:
Suzuki Low Seat
Givi V47 top case
Passenger backrest
Driver backrest

John
Sorry to hear of your injury. I've done a lot of off-road riding and have rarely encountered an incline steep enough to cause that type of injury.
Any chance of hanging onto the scoot until you heal and then getting a cut-down seat for it? You might feel different about the situation once you're in better shape.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes, but the low resale value of the Burgman's is probably connected to the left over scooters. Check out this 2013 Burgman 650 on Ebay,

http://r.ebay.com/LEcqfw

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased my 09 400 with 5000 miles for 3K. It had been sitting at the dealership for sale at around 5K for several months and when the price suddenly dropped I bought it. Its just the nature of scooters. They are underappreciated in the US despite their many advantages over MCs, especially for those who use them as daily commuters. I believe the demand for 2 wheel transportation is down generally in this country. It dropped during the great recession and has not recovered like the auto market.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
$8299 for a 2013 (2 yr OLD and soon 3 yr OLD as new models arrive in few months). They are dreaming or looking for a sucker. I think.
I'm not too sure about that. I doubt that the dealer is making $500 on that sale, if it even sells. I spoke with some dealer near Indianapolis last year, and he was selling new 2014 Burgman 650's at less than $8,000, which he said was his cost. He said that he made his money on accessories.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts